The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine 2017

Hey :h:
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hey, sorry to see you haven't had any replies to your thread yet. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific university or course forum should help get more responses. :redface:

If you haven’t already found it, then university connect is a really useful way for finding people at your course/university! You can also find a list of applicant threads and courses here. :h: It's worth checking out if you have questions.

If you need advice on your academic work, then the Study Help section will be able to help you. :h: Hope this helps! :h:
Hi Anonymouspie,

I graduate this year and i'm hoping to apply for graduate medicine for 2017 entry. This thread is a really good idea! :smile:
I graduate feb 2016 in midwifery and was hoping to apply for medicine the following year after a year in practice and a GAMSAT under my belt *gulp*!
What degrees did you guys do/ where are you hoping to apply?
😺

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm currently studying English literature so a bit of a change haha! At the moment i think I'm going to apply to St. George's, Southampton and Warwick. I'm not quite sure about my fourth choice, it'll depend on whether I do better at the UKCAT or Gamsat I think haha. What about you? Why did you decide to apply for medicine? :smile:
That is a change!! I haven't applied yet- I'm focusing on this final year to try and do really well to get a high grade hopefully, then apply the following year with some money under my belt. I'm thinking Warwick, Newcastle, UEA and unsure of forth. I wanted to do it before this degree, but didn't get grades so put it off but this degree has reinforced my wanting to be a doctor!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I am hoping to apply for 2018 entry, currently applying for biomedical science. But guys isn't there talk that GEM might be stopped because of the GMC? I know Leicester has already stopped their GEM course and St George's have halved the number of student intake for their course :frown: I really want to do medicine wish I did well at my Alevels really hope GEM is around when we get to apply
Original post by Thamaya
I am hoping to apply for 2018 entry, currently applying for biomedical science. But guys isn't there talk that GEM might be stopped because of the GMC? I know Leicester has already stopped their GEM course and St George's have halved the number of student intake for their course :frown: I really want to do medicine wish I did well at my Alevels really hope GEM is around when we get to apply

I wouldn't worry too much Thamaya, I don't think they could remove the option for graduates to get into medicine without a fight so if the GMC did remove Graduate Medicine I think the NHS would have to change the funding system for graduates on the 5 year degree to make it more accessible. Hopefully it won't change too much in the next couple of years though, fingers crossed!
Original post by k.a.barrow
That is a change!! I haven't applied yet- I'm focusing on this final year to try and do really well to get a high grade hopefully, then apply the following year with some money under my belt. I'm thinking Warwick, Newcastle, UEA and unsure of forth. I wanted to do it before this degree, but didn't get grades so put it off but this degree has reinforced my wanting to be a doctor!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah that's a good idea, i'm writing my dissertation at the moment so I'm drowning in essays! Good luck with your final year!
Hi

I am a First Year Biomed student. This thread is great! Hoping to apply to GEM in 2017.
Reply 10
Hey :smile:

Im in biomed first year at Bradford,hoping to apply during 3rd year!!!!
Reply 11
Hey I m a Biomed first year, and my goal is to apply at the end of second year for 2017 entry. :biggrin:. But i wanted to ask something, I am an EU student, and I know that many unis ask for A levels too, and I am not sure if my ones are equivalent, because I took a foundation year before I entered my course. So my question is does a Science foundation year count at all during the application process? or you defo need to have A leves or equivelents? Also does anyone know if taking a first aid 3 day course(which looks quite expensive) would be useful for the work experience part of the application? thank you.
Original post by Skido
Hey I m a Biomed first year, and my goal is to apply at the end of second year for 2017 entry. :biggrin:. But i wanted to ask something, I am an EU student, and I know that many unis ask for A levels too, and I am not sure if my ones are equivalent, because I took a foundation year before I entered my course. So my question is does a Science foundation year count at all during the application process? or you defo need to have A leves or equivelents? Also does anyone know if taking a first aid 3 day course(which looks quite expensive) would be useful for the work experience part of the application? thank you.

I'm not sure whether a foundation year would count, but I know that many universities don't have any particular A level requirements... I would contact the universities you are thinking of applying to directly and ask :smile:. I don't think a first aid course would be very useful unless you used that course to volunteer e.g. with St. John's ambulance. A lot of universities want work experience directly in a caring environment so that you can reflect on this in your personal statement so working as a first aider would be applicable but just doing the course probably wouldn't be :smile:.

What work experience has everyone been doing? I've done quite a bit in caring environments but I haven't done any shadowing so I need to work on that!
Reply 13
Original post by -inspired-
I'm not sure whether a foundation year would count, but I know that many universities don't have any particular A level requirements... I would contact the universities you are thinking of applying to directly and ask :smile:. I don't think a first aid course would be very useful unless you used that course to volunteer e.g. with St. John's ambulance. A lot of universities want work experience directly in a caring environment so that you can reflect on this in your personal statement so working as a first aider would be applicable but just doing the course probably wouldn't be :smile:.

What work experience has everyone been doing? I've done quite a bit in caring environments but I haven't done any shadowing so I need to work on that!

Thanks inspired that was very helpful :biggrin:
Reply 14
Original post by -inspired-
I'm not sure whether a foundation year would count, but I know that many universities don't have any particular A level requirements... I would contact the universities you are thinking of applying to directly and ask :smile:. I don't think a first aid course would be very useful unless you used that course to volunteer e.g. with St. John's ambulance. A lot of universities want work experience directly in a caring environment so that you can reflect on this in your personal statement so working as a first aider would be applicable but just doingo the course probably wouldn't be :smile:.

I've done a lot of caring experience but shadowing I went to Nepal aand did it. Very expensive =o

My advice would 've to find one here... Keep contacting medical surgeries, hospitals. Even plastic surgeries . Much better and cheaper :smile:
What kind of prep is everyone planning on doing study and timeframe wise to get ready for GAMSAT/UKCAT?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
☺️ I'm a 2nd year Biomedical Science Student, I'll be spending my placement year studying Medical Science with an Internship at the University of Western Sydney. I'll be sitting the GAMSAT in Australia in March 2016, and if that's a flop, I'll sit it (and the UKCAT) back here in September 2016. I've been working part time as a HCA since September last year, I'll try to do some shadowing before leaving for Australia, otherwise I'll try and do it over there, or when I get back.
Hey :smile: I'm a first year studying classics at Cambridge- strange, I know, but I have a major ambition to become a doctor. I'm currently thinking to apply for 2017, kings or St. George's since they both seem to cater quite nicely to non-science postgrads, plus I quite like the idea of studying in London. I should probably know this already but so far I haven't done a massive amount of research into it- when exactly will I need to begin the application process? Later this year? 2016? Cheers (y)
Original post by SirJimmus
Hey :smile: I'm a first year studying classics at Cambridge- strange, I know, but I have a major ambition to become a doctor. I'm currently thinking to apply for 2017, kings or St. George's since they both seem to cater quite nicely to non-science postgrads, plus I quite like the idea of studying in London. I should probably know this already but so far I haven't done a massive amount of research into it- when exactly will I need to begin the application process? Later this year? 2016? Cheers (y)

You would start applying at the beginning in your third year, and sit exam in the summer of 2016.

Also King's may only accept science graduates from next year on, but hopefully it will continue to be open to all!
Original post by Absorbaloff
You would start applying at the beginning in your third year, and sit exam in the summer of 2016.

thanks, that's reassuring :P

Also King's may only accept science graduates from next year on, but hopefully it will continue to be open to all!

Yeah I've been looking at their website and it seems to have changed- science degrees only :frown: that's very disappointing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending