The Student Room Group

Motorbike thread and question!

Hiya!

Basically i have a question, because I am interested in getting a motorbike (scooters are for men that want to drive motorbike but want to feel wind on their vagina instead, and cars are too expensive and not cool enough:biggrin:).

So, for my first motorbike I'd like to get Kawasaki Ninja 500r imported from USA because it's much cheaper (by £1000-£1500 if you're lucky) and I believe this is a perfect beginners motorcycle because it isn't too fast, it's safer and looks quite cool as well!

So my question is: I am 17 right now, is it possible for me to ride a motorbike at this age? and what are the issues I'd face if I was to import this motorbike from USA! Cheers!

CT: bigger discussion on finding cheap motorbike insurance here
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Innocentlemming
Hiya!

Basically i have a question, because I am interested in getting a motorbike (scooters are for men that want to drive motorbike but want to feel wind on their vagina instead, and cars are too expensive and not cool enough:biggrin:).

So, for my first motorbike I'd like to get Kawasaki Ninja 500r imported from USA because it's much cheaper (by £1000-£1500 if you're lucky) and I believe this is a perfect beginners motorcycle because it isn't too fast, it's safer and looks quite cool as well!

So my question is: I am 17 right now, is it possible for me to ride a motorbike at this age? and what are the issues I'd face if I was to import this motorbike from USA! Cheers!

you will need to do a CBT, theory, Mod 1 and then Mod 2 tests. as you are young you will be restricted to 125cc for 2 years untill you can do Mod 1 and 2 again on a bigger bike.
this is explained quite well on the first page of the TSR bike soc thread.

in your position id be tempted to just do the CBT then get a 125 for a while. this will make the tests easier (as youll have practice), cheaper till you can get on a bike, and spread out the cost. (i had a 125 for about a year).

as for the bike, id get a uk one as you can avoid the red tape, import taxes, and higher insurance (as its a Gray import), also a CB500s is a similar bike but more reliable.
(edited 9 years ago)
You're pretty much restricted to a 125 at the moment.
forgot about the new(ish) restrictions

Options at 16 get a CBT and ride a 50cc bike or moped
Options at 17-18 get a CBT and ride up to a 125cc bike/scooter, or do your CBT, theory test and full restricted tests and ride a 125cc
Options at 19-23 get a CBT and ride up to a 125cc bike/scooter, or do your CBT, theory test and full restricted tests and ride anything that is restricted to 46.6bhp.
Options at 24+ - get a CBT or or do your CBT, theory test and DAS and ride anything.

have a look at this site
http://www.geton.co.uk/motorcycle-training-licence/#a1
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest