The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I dont think a letter will solve it. Look at the way the head of year reacted.
Just forget about it - I wouldn;t have sent a letter or anything

Your teacher sounds like an idiot who may possibly hold a grudge.

Although unless you were literally almost dead you should have tried to tell your classmates - they prob looked like right fools waiting for oyu :biggrin:
Your a bigger man then me. If i was in that situation the response from me would have been along the lines of "go **** yourself" I think you handled it very well.
Reply 63
Just forget it now, why retaliate to her pathetic behaviour - everyone will see what an idiot she is like now.
Reply 64
what a crazy teacher i hope everything gets sorted out
Roger Kirk
From the teachers point of view even if she was virtually dying one day she'd be expected to do her best to contact the school as soon as she could to leave instructions for her lessons for the day. Even if she had a terrific migraine and couldn't get out of bed all day. She simply couldn't just not turn up and leave it. She'd be in deep **** if she did that. Maybe she just expected the common courtesy for her pupils to do the same since really they were not only teaching a lesson to each other, but also doing so in groups and so relying on each other.

I can see your point but in your own words this is from the teacher's point of view...she is a professional, an employee of the school and it would be the same in any JOB that you'd have to ring in and explain yourself, and of course as a teacher you are responsible for the running of many other people's day as well as your own....but this guy isn't a teacher, he's not employed or paid to be there, missing a lesson isn't the same thing for him as for a teacher. I understand that as a teacher it must be frustrating that so many little ****s treat you guys with far less than the respect you deserve but I don't think this guy is one of them.
Reply 66
Talon
Bloody hell. Mate, all your teachers appear have the emotional development of 8 year old. This is the point where id consider slashing their tyres :rolleyes:.

Honestly. However neg repped me for that cant take a joke. Did you seriously think I go around slashing teachers tyres even if they annoy the hell out of me? And next time it would be polite to leave your name, Roger Kirk. I have been a teacher myself (not a school teacher mind you but still teaching classes with kids) and no matter how bad my day is if someone comes up to me to apologise for something I dont refuse to talk to them like a 5 year old girl.
Reply 67
I think it's awful that the teachers are behaving like this.

One of the problems is that nobody ever believes anyone when they say they are ill. And she probably thought you were trying to get out of the presentation. Square it with the people in your group and make sure they know the real reason why you weren't there. And next time you are in a group for something, take someone elses number so you can contact them if anything goes wrong.

It's unfair of the school to expect you to ring in sick. It's common practise to take a note from your parents explaining why you were off when you return to school.

You should really get your parents involved. Ask then to inform the school of your situation. I realise you don't want people to know, but it would only be the teachers, and then perhaps they will give you more leeway.

I would feel awful if a teacher was giving me the cold shoulder and ignoring me, and I'm not overly sensitive (and I'm in my 30's with 3 kids), so I completely understand why you feel so bad about this. The teacher's behaviour is unacceptable, and if it continues you should consider taking the matter further (perhaps to the headteacher since your head of 6th form obviously isn't going to listen).

I really hope you get this situation sorted. Good luck.
Talon
Honestly. However neg repped me for that cant take a joke. Did you seriously think I go around slashing teachers tyres even if they annoy the hell out of me? And next time it would be polite to leave your name, Roger Kirk. I have been a teacher myself (not a school teacher mind you but still teaching classes with kids) and no matter how bad my day is if someone comes up to me to apologise for something I dont refuse to talk to them like a 5 year old girl.

It was the whole attitude in the thread I was annoyed with. Your post as just the final straw.

An rep is there to do what the hell I like with. Sign or not sign. Up to me. Politeness has nothing to o with anything. Sometimes I sign pos and neg rep, sometimes I don't. I don't really plan to not sign, just like I don't really plan to sign. I often never think about what I'm writing when leaving rep, so signing a comment ain't an issue for me.

But further to some of your comments above...hoe the hell can you know what the teacher was doing? How the hell can we be sure of what happened? We have the story from the point of view of one person who was already feeling bad about a situation. The teacher said something to them. For all we know the way it was said might not have been anywhere near as ba as what has been said. Someone already feeling bad could easily have taken a comment against them and blown it up into a serious personal attack on them as a person.

Add to this we cannot be sure what sort of pressures the teacher was under, we cannot be sure what had happened to the teacher immediately before they bumped into the thread starter.

I just don't see how anyone here can start making such firm judgments about how the teacher acted in such a seriously childish way. Personally I think the thread starter may have acted irresponsibly for not doing all they could to get word to their group. I still don't think the question of getting parents/family/guardians/other people to contact the group has been answered unless I missed it. Why wasn't someone else notified? Did the thread starter stay in bea all day? Was the thread starter in bed all day? Unable to move? Even for 5 minutes to try an make a phone call? If they were so bad that they couldn't do this then surely they should have seen a doctor or had more time off? Seems fishy to me....

...maybe you think I'm being too harsh here on the thread starter. Maybe be I am as I can't be sure of all the circumstances relating to them. But I'm only being overly harsh here in exactly the same way most of you are acting about this teacher. Just think about it.
i think the OP would look like a right **** if he tried to get the teacher into trouble with the head of sixth form/headmaster.
Reply 70
Lodge a formal complaint through official channels.
Any news on the situation? Its been a while since the thread opened but ive been looking in on it as its an interesting problem!

The letter was a good call, but like other people have said the "childish responce" bit should be dropped.

If a teacher said that to me i would tell them to do unspeakable acts to themselves
Hey everyone, thanks for all the support and replies. :smile:

Well, no new development since my last post, as I can't access our school email account as the server's down, so I don't know if she's seen or responded to my email yet. I won't see her for a week, so I don't know how this will pan out.

To the people who said I should lodge offical complaints or go over her head: I didn't want to go down that route really. If possible, I would have liked to settled it personally, just between us, as she's my favourite teacher and I did have a lot of respect for her tbh.

To the people who (still) insinuate that i may have a crush on this teacher: I repeat, she is seriously not my type, I think the reason for that is obvious.

To the people who said I should "grow some balls" or stop being a crybaby, or "man up" or whatever: I feel sorry for guys who are afraid to be emotional, or think that only girls are allowed to get emotional about stuff. It's sad.

Thanks to everyone,
Mike.
Reply 73
Official complaints rarely work. I wrote a letter of complaint about our librarian at school after she shouted at me for fixing one of the computers (someone was using it at the time and only one person can be there at once). There were witnesses to this but the letter still ended up in the bin after I gave it to the deputy head of 6th form.
Revd. Mike
Well, I toned the letter down a bit, and was ready to pass it to her. (I also found out from class mates that she'd instructed the class to tell me not to talk to her for at least a week, as she wouldn't respond).

I was waiting around for her to show up, and my head of 6th form walked past and looked surpirsed to see me and said "Oh! You're in today! Waht a surpirse!"
Me: "What do you mean?

Her: "Well, I'd heard that you didn't come into school to do an important presentation, so i thought you might not bother"

Me (again starting to feel angry and upset): "Look, I was extremely ill, i wasn't even able to open my eyes, let alone come into school. I tried to tell Mrs Campbell that and apologise, but she refused to listen to me, and to be honest I'm seriously upset by the way she's acting, it's really inappropriate"

Her: "Well, i think it's really inappropriate that you didn't come in"

I repeated how ill i was, and really started to feel upset now that she wasn't listening either.

Her: "Surely there's some sort of medication you can take? I mean, I can certainly relate to you, I've had 'bad headaches' too. Anyway, you didn't phone did you?"

Me: "I wasn't able to. In any case, i think it'sstupid how she's acting even when I tried to apologise."
I then explained what happened, and as I did, my teacher walked up and said "Yes, I did act like that because I was so furious with you, and how distraught you'd made the girls you were working with. Next time, you know what you have to do, just a simple text would have been enough. Let's leave it now shall we?" and walked off.

I was so upset that she was still blaming me. I didn't send her the letter, but I emailed her a semi abridged version, apologising for pressing the issue, and just stating how upset she'd made me.

So that's how it ended basically, she's still not really talking to me, she's still blaming me, and the senior staff are siding with her. Ah well.

Also, to those that suggested it, i absolutely do not have a crush on her lol, she's completely "not my type" :wink:

She seems to be an awful woman! I'm thanking my lucky stars most of my teachers can relate to me.
Reply 75
That teacher seems very unfair.
Suck it up and move on.
Sorry to continue the saga, but some people asked me to let them know what happened.

Well, I had her again first thing this morning, and I thought that over half term she probably would have mellowed out a bit, and probably would have gone back to her old self. However, she didn't smile or look at me or anything during the entire lesson, she didn't respond when I said good morning, she didn't acknowledge me or anything when I answered questions correctly, she's just pretty much been ignoring me.

Also, we're still doing the group presentation things, and the girl from today's group didn't have her presentation because her brother had her memory stick, and the teacher didn't say a word to her, just "you'll have to carry on without it", which I thought was kinda unfair.

Also, earlier on, I realised that because I'm sitting the BMAT exam on wednesday morning, I'll miss my next lesson with her, so I thought I should go and tell her. When I caught her, she just kinda stared blankly at me whilst I spoke, then with very little aknowledgement she just sort of walked off into her office saying "I'll put it in my diary".

So, as it stands, she's not talking to me still, although there's a lack of open hostility. I can't be bothered to try and talk to her about it more, if she wants to carry on acting weirdly about it. I was thinking i might bring it up in my Academic Review on monday, but it turns out that my review is with the head of 6th form who sided with her anyway, so no point :rolleyes:
Reply 78
Quickly delete your post before you unveil your identity further and the whole world implodes.
Reply 79
Revd. Mike

So, as it stands, she's not talking to me still, although there's a lack of open hostility. I can't be bothered to try and talk to her about it more, if she wants to carry on acting weirdly about it. I was thinking i might bring it up in my Academic Review on monday, but it turns out that my review is with the head of 6th form who sided with her anyway, so no point :rolleyes:

I would just be polite and that's it - not point even trying to reconcile as she is being awkward. I'm afraid employers will be like this to so get used to it.

Latest

Trending

Trending