The Student Room Group

Both my parents make well over £200k, yet there is NEVER food in the house.

I'm 17, I've been trying to get a job, but to no avail so far. They brag about how much money they make, but do nothing about the empty fridge. If there's food in it, it is OUT OF DATE.

My 4 siblings complain about it too, but nothing is done about it.

I don't know what to do any more ... I haven't had breakfast or lunch today, and it seems dinner is a no too :frown:

Please, what do I do??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I feel you.

My family don't quite make that much (okay nowhere near) but still same thing here

Tesco's is about 3 minutes away from where I live. If I'm hungry I just go out and buy food myself. There's always money somewhere to be found.
Original post by AdamCee
I feel you.

My family don't quite make that much (okay nowhere near) but still same thing here

Tesco's is about 3 minutes away from where I live. If I'm hungry I just go out and buy food myself. There's always money somewhere to be found.

I'm not so much worried about myself, because I do get round just about - albeit unhealthy ... but it's my 8 year old sister, 16 year old sister and 17 year brother I'm worried about. There is literally nothing in the fridge tonight and I'm sat here having not eaten breakfast or lunch.

I've told them that if they gave me the money I would go get the food for them ... they said they'd rather get it themselves. I've told them how I'm not content with the lack of food in the house, they said "there's not much we can do about it" ... and on top of that I'm ill.
If you are being starved by your parents you need to contact Social Services/ Childline etc.
Original post by the bear
If you are being starved by your parents you need to contact Social Services/ Childline etc.

I worry so much about doing that ... I don't want to split the family up :frown:
Reply 5
Original post by Modern Casanova
I'm not so much worried about myself, because I do get round just about - albeit unhealthy ... but it's my 8 year old sister, 16 year old sister and 17 year brother I'm worried about. There is literally nothing in the fridge tonight and I'm sat here having not eaten breakfast or lunch.

I've told them that if they gave me the money I would go get the food for them ... they said they'd rather get it themselves. I've told them how I'm not content with the lack of food in the house, they said "there's not much we can do about it" ... and on top of that I'm ill.

Well if they're insisting on getting the food themselves and they're still getting nothing, maybe have a proper talk with them? Keep pushing it is what I would do tbh.

It's not like you're being a spoiled **** demanding something ridiculous - food is food. Try and come to an agreement with them of either them getting more or you even getting the food to help out I think
Reply 6
What are they eating?

To be honest if that was me I wouldn't feel the littlest bit guilty taking £20 from one of their pockets to feed my siblings.
Original post by AdamCee
Well if they're insisting on getting the food themselves and they're still getting nothing, maybe have a proper talk with them? Keep pushing it is what I would do tbh.

It's not like you're being a spoiled **** demanding something ridiculous - food is food. Try and come to an agreement with them of either them getting more or you even getting the food to help out I think

It's all I ever ask: that they start to realise how little food we have and how much money they make.

I've been trying to get a job too, but to no avail :frown:
Reply 8
It's all I ever ask: that they start to realise how little food we have and how much money they make.

I've been trying to get a job too, but to no avail :frown:

How much food do you eat daily, on average (at home)?

Is it just that you like to eat lots of food (pretty much me.) or are you genuinely not getting enough a day?
Original post by KJane
What are they eating?

To be honest if that was me I wouldn't feel the littlest bit guilty taking £20 from one of their pockets to feed my siblings.

I've never stolen ... I do get the urge to get money for the food, but I know I'll get in serious trouble and it wouldn't get any better.
Original post by AdamCee
How much food do you eat daily, on average (at home)?

Is it just that you like to eat lots of food (pretty much me.) or are you genuinely not getting enough a day?

It depends ... I mean for the last couple of days all I've been eating are mince pies and these cereal bars.

I've got a very big metabolic rate ... I need to eat ... but I've genuinely had barely anything for the last week or so.
I simply can't fathom how you can have an empty fridge with parents earning that kind of money :frown: my mum raised me alone earning about 12k and she always found a way to keep me well fed.
I'm 17, I've been trying to get a job, but to no avail so far. They brag about how much money they make, but do nothing about the empty fridge. If there's food in it, it is OUT OF DATE.

I don't know what to do any more ... I haven't had breakfast or lunch today, and it seems dinner is a no too :frown:

Please, what do I do??

4 siblings? I guess the food gets gobbled up quickly as soon as the fridge shopping is done.

Please, what do I do??

How exactly do they make such money?

My single mother always barely met ends meet but I'm from Finland which always had a strong social state support. Anyway, I am now in the middle of my second PPE year at Oxford and one day I'd love to love 200k GBP annually. So, any advice?

P.S I don't care if you are trolling; that's a genuine question to anyone
Original post by holmes221
4 siblings? I guess the food gets gobbled up quickly as soon as the fridge shopping is done.

Could be that, but that'd mean the food they're getting is just snacks.

Plus I wouldn't be complaining if we scuffed the food as soon as it hit the fridge.
Reply 15
I've never stolen ... I do get the urge to get money for the food, but I know I'll get in serious trouble and it wouldn't get any better.

"I used your money to feed your kids because you weren't doing it." - I fail to see how anything along those lines could trump whatever argument they have for not feeding you. At least you'd all have a full stomach.

Beyond involving outside help or arguing with them about it, I think your options are limited.
Original post by William Pitt
How exactly do they make such money?

My single mother always barely met ends meet but I'm from Finland which always had a strong social state support. Anyway, I am now in the middle of my second PPE year at Oxford and one day I'd love to love 200k GBP annually. So, any advice?

P.S I don't care if you are trolling; that's a genuine question to anyone

My mums a neuropsychologist ... my dad's an architect. They make 180k and 120k a year respectively.
If there are young children in the house and they are not getting enough to eat, EG 3 or 4 meals a day every single day,then this is classed as neglect,which is a form of child abuse. Social services, one of your younger siblings school teachers or your GP should be told. But please, tell someone.
Original post by KJane
"I used your money to feed your kids because you weren't doing it." - I fail to see how anything along those lines could trump whatever argument they have for not feeding you. At least you'd all have a full stomach.

Beyond involving outside help or arguing with them about it, I think your options are limited.

They would see beyond the "I'm taking your money to get the food you didn't bother to get us" and call me a "thief" and possibly kick me out the house. I promise you, I know my parents - especially my dad who used to be an alcoholic.
Original post by DeceitfulDove
I simply can't fathom how you can have an empty fridge with parents earning that kind of money :frown: my mum raised me alone earning about 12k and she always found a way to keep me well fed.

I can't understand it either. I'm sick of it - it's been the same for long as I can remember and back then they were still making over 100k a year.

Someone suggested taking money from them, but I don't think that's a very good idea in my case.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending