The Student Room Group

Ladies, what would you say makes a man damaged goods?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sulfurious
People have different degrees of mental health disorders as I'm sure you know. What I was trying to get at is the generalising of mental health. It seems to me that most people who have not experienced mental health issues/have no medical background seem to think that anyone with mental health issues is prone to psychotic behaviour which is obviously not true. I would understand if someone didn't want to date a schizophrenic/bipolar due to the psychosis involved which would harm the relationship in the long term. However someone with mild-moderate depression is not going to have psychotic symptoms and it is likely that they will not be depressed for several years. Their symptoms will probably be controlled by medication and a lot of the time you can't even tell a person has mild-moderate depression and this would not affect the relationship. It just gets to me how all mental health patients are put into one group and labelled as being crazy by the majority of the general population.

I have mild-moderate depression and I've been depressed for around 4 to 4 and a half years now. Also my symptoms are transparent, Riku was known as a king troll of TSR even though I am pretty serious in most of what I say.
Original post by Eveiebaby
I wouldn't want to be with someone who was capable of murdering someone coldly.
Having a boyfriend like the Godfather isn't my idea of cool.

Fair enough.
Original post by kodlak
Northern Accent is a deal breaker

What kind of Northern accent?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tai Ga
having a penis.

I just did this in the corresponding thread, then found this...
Original post by kodlak
Northern Accent is a deal breaker

Wait, having or not having one? And how far north, because they're all different.
You
mean capable of murdering fullstop !!
Reply 86
[QUOTE="catsis;52634211"]
Original post by acefrogman
1)It's if they've done it more than once. I don't mean just experimenting because I tried it too but if they take it frequently then I'm a bit more wary of it.

2) I think this is my own insecurity really. I would be thinking I might be too **** for them because they've got so much to compare it to.

3) I couldn't go out with someone who has depression. I had it too and I know it would have sucked for the other person if I had been seeing someone. I know it sucked for my friend who knew it. I wouldn't get into a relationship if I had it and I wouldn't expect someone to stick around either. My friend went out with someone who had it and it was so draining to her.

4) Depends why the marriage ended but again, if I liked them deeply I wouldn't care.

1) Cool so you are not really saying as much as before.

2) Guys don't care about this. If they agree to be with you, there's nothing to worry about - a guy doesn't need to sleep with a girl to know that he would very much like to.

3) Yes if you have depression, but not if you have had a past of depression. All that matters is if the person is fun to be around now.

4) You will most likely never find out why the marriage ends as this is usually kept very secret. Actually in most cases there isn't just a single answer anyway.

So basically you changed your mind and you only really meant 2 out of the 6 things you listed.
Reply 87
[QUOTE="xylas;52637043"]
Original post by catsis

So basically you changed your mind and you only really meant 2 out of the 6 things you listed.

Hmm not really. I just hadn't given as much detail before. I didn't change my mind about any of them.
Original post by Med_Geek
I have to say that I agree with this. Sometimes having a loving partner can really help when one is suffering from mental health related illnesses. But then again, each is entitled to their own preference.

For me, I'd say being involved in criminal activity, substance abuse (if there is no sign of them trying to recover), known to be violent/aggressive towards women (including verbal abuse), children from a previous relationship (I wouldn't say it makes a man "damaged goods" as such, but it just not something I'd be 100% happy with), STDs, the guy having an over-inflated sense of importance/ego. Oh, and being a mummy's boy. :colonhash:

Original post by AL230492
I would just like to point out...

Just because somebody has mental health issues, does not make them any less of a person or any less datable. I myself have mental health issues and have only had two partners, one of whom I am currently still with (3 yrs). We're perfect for each-other. Why? Because she also has mental health issues. If anything, I have found people with mental health issues to be more understanding and caring of others than those without. Of course I don't speak for the entire population, but you can see why...

So, just because somebody has issues or is "damaged goods", don't rule them out. You aren't perfect either... remember that.

Original post by Sazzy890
Just remember, ANYONE can develop a mental illness at some point in their lives. I find it very sad that this, to many people, seems to make someone 'damaged goods' :s-smilie: No wonder there is stigma around admitting when they need help/have a mental illness.

Original post by Todot
I've never really understood the term damaged goods for people - what is an undamaged person like? Not to be cliche but nobodys perfect...

Also agree with the people above who are disappointed by the number of people mentioning mental health issues, since many people suffer from them (male and female) it seems a bit inflexible :dontknow:

Wow what a stigma against mental health. Need to educate yourselves.

Original post by Todot
For the people arguing that mental health problems are a red flag and should be avoided what is your stance on your partner developing them whilst in a relationship with you? Are they only 'damaged goods' if they were ill previous to your relationship?

Original post by tupper_ware
The amount of people saying mental illnesses makes someone 'damaged goods' is saddening. Mental illnesses come in all sorts of levels and most peoples wont interfere that much with a relationship aside from needing some extra support now and then, and you should be ready to support anyone whether they have a mental illness or not anyway. Although I can understand if you have a difficult mental illness yourself, you may not want to date someone else with a mental illness until you yourself are better. When I had depression and anxiety I would definitely preferred to date someone more 'stable' because I needed a fair amount of support myself anyway, but now everything's much better I'd happily lend my support to someone else with a mental illness. They're not that big of a deal for your friends and partners to have in most cases!

Original post by Morrisseya
Agreed

People have different degrees of mental health disorders as I'm sure you know. What I was trying to get at is the generalising of mental health. It seems to me that most people who have not experienced mental health issues/have no medical background seem to think that anyone with mental health issues is prone to psychotic behaviour which is obviously not true. I would understand if someone didn't want to date a schizophrenic/bipolar due to the psychosis involved which would harm the relationship in the long term. However someone with mild-moderate depression is not going to have psychotic symptoms and it is likely that they will not be depressed for several years. Their symptoms will probably be controlled by medication and a lot of the time you can't even tell a person has mild-moderate depression and this would not affect the relationship. It just gets to me how all mental health patients are put into one group and labelled as being crazy by the majority of the general population.

shout out to the ladies challenging stigma! Many thanks on behalf of all men with invisible illnesses :biggrin:

Apologies if I have quoted any gents by accident :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
What if the guy was a single parent? So his ex never saw the kid?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 90
Original post by catsis
Hmm not really. I just hadn't given as much detail before. I didn't change my mind about any of them.

Why bother posting if you are not going to defend what you said. Your word doesn't mean anything to me goodbye.
Original post by yo radical one
Any girl who ever uses than quote, can go to the back of the line :facepalm2:

:facepalm:
Original post by colourtheory
*Ahem* Ladies and gentlemen, no? Not to be preachy or anything but this thread is a little heteronormative; I'm gay so view men slightly differently as potential partners...

I really don't think there's such as a thing as 'damaged goods' because in all fairness, humans are complex and everyone has their vices, history, pain and traits which is the result of simply being alive. To write somebody off as 'damaged goods' has the problem of white washing anything positive that they can offer you; by allowing your vision of somebody to be tainted to such an extent means that you can miss both the negative and positive things which make them who they are, and consequently beautiful. Isn't the whole point of love that it's unconditional and can't be helped?

As Marilyn Monroe famously said, 'I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.'

So was the other one. But I left a reminder there already.
But yeah, I agree with not writing someone off as damaged goods.
I prefer 'less preferable'. But I generally disagree with the objectification of people, I think it makes inequality easier to hide and discrimination easier to perpetrate. I believe that once we start seeing people as objects, or goods in this case, then we find it easier to write them off, dispose of them etc in the same way we would out of date food or other items.
Any guy like Trevor Phillips
Original post by colourtheory
:facepalm:

I won't apologise for wanting to avoid Jeremy Kyle show fodder.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending