The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Scared!

I'm so scared of going to Imperial now, I don't wanna go :frown: My insurance is UCL but I hate it even more there..all this workload that everyone is talking about and the crap social life. I am so lazy I probably won't do any work and fail miserably :frown: lol My brother seemed to cope ok but then that's my brother. Anyway this sounds really stupid but I think I've made a terrible mistake. Applying for the wrong subject and I'm going to spend 3-4 years doing something I'm not really interested in. And on top of that, the average cost is 14K a year to live there :frown: Fantastic.

I WILL stop moaning now!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Asphyxiating
I'm so scared of going to Imperial now, I don't wanna go :frown: My insurance is UCL but I hate it even more there..all this workload that everyone is talking about and the crap social life. I am so lazy I probably won't do any work and fail miserably :frown: lol My brother seemed to cope ok but then that's my brother. Anyway this sounds really stupid but I think I've made a terrible mistake. Applying for the wrong subject and I'm going to spend 3-4 years doing something I'm not really interested in. And on top of that, the average cost is 14K a year to live there :frown: Fantastic.

I WILL stop moaning now!
The workload will depend on what class degree you want. You want a first, then you'll have to work hard. Happy with a 2:2? ...then work a lot less.
The social life will be what you make of it. You can always go out clubbing with me :smile:

What's your subject again? It can't be completely 'wrong'?
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
edders
The workload will depend on what class degree you want. You want a first, then you'll have to work hard. Happy with a 2:2? ...then work a lot less.

Imperial is not suitable for lazy students at all...

for some departments, even though you are happy with only 2:2, you have to finish the continuously assessed course work (normally every week)..

http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~cjh/Iyc/faq.html

What if I prefer not to do coursework etc. but to save my energy for the examinations?

You may well then find you are no longer here when those examinations begin. About one third of the 1st year marks are assigned to continuous assessment. This means we continually assess how well you're doing. If you are seen to be doing poorly or not submitting work during the year, you will be chased. In serious cases you can be put on a few weeks' probation, with conditions imposed by the College for attendance and submission. Be under no illusions: if you break those conditions you may be required to withdraw from the College at the end of the probation period. This action has been taken in the past and may be taken again.

:redface:
Reply 3
jiefei_ma

What if I prefer not to do coursework etc. but to save my energy for the examinations?

:redface:

HA HA HA, soz, I can just imagine someone doing that right now...
Reply 4
Asphyxiating

I WILL stop moaning now!
14K a year? I think that'd be a gross over exageration, where did you get this figure from? Someone else said once that when you've choosen/are choosing a uni you often over focus on the negatives. Or maybe you're just nervous about going there? You're not interested in biochemistry? Then why did you apply for it?!? In theory you should be able to cope, that's why Imperial offered you a place after all! Maybe you should remember why you accepeted Imperial. If you're still 100% sure your decision is wrong, then it shouldn't be too late to do something about it (I think). It wouldn't even be too late if you didn't like it after your first year at Imperial!
Reply 5
Jojoba86
14K a year? I think that'd be a gross over exageration, where did you get this figure from? Someone else said once that when you've choosen/are choosing a uni you often over focus on the negatives. Or maybe you're just nervous about going there? You're not interested in biochemistry? Then why did you apply for it?!? In theory you should be able to cope, that's why Imperial offered you a place after all! Maybe you should remember why you accepeted Imperial. If you're still 100% sure your decision is wrong, then it shouldn't be too late to do something about it (I think). It wouldn't even be too late if you didn't like it after your first year at Imperial!

Maybe she's an international student and? Hmm, are you asphyxiating? If you're not, a more likely figure is about £8k a year, and that includes everything.
Reply 6
Mysticmin
Maybe she's an international student and? Hmm, are you asphyxiating? If you're not, a more likely figure is about £8k a year, and that includes everything.
Chesire, UK apparently, it's just above the post count/rep bar. Even a foreign student living here for 52 weeks a year I think would be pushed to spend 14k a year! (Although with tuition fees I suspect it'd be much more than 14k a year.)
Reply 7
Jojoba86

Including tuition fees, yes it is that much because my friend has someone who did engineering at imperial and that was about the amount he spent altogether for a year. I guess it also depends how you spend it, some people might not spend a penny :tongue: I applied for biochemistry because 1) I didn't know what else to do 2) I was advised to take it because it satisfied my grades. I accepted it because Imperial was a top 5 uni and would atleast guarentee me a job afterwards. I'm not a 100% sure my decision was wrong but I'm not sure if I'll enjoy it. I may just see what happens with results in the summer and see what other options are open, if they're good. Maybe, but I don't want to spend a year which is going to be a total waste!
Reply 8
Mysticmin

The finance form said 8k was the absolute minimum that is expected to be spent.
Reply 9
edders
The social life will be what you make of it. You can always go out clubbing with me :smile:

What's your subject again? It can't be completely 'wrong'?

Biochemistry. I don't think I was ever destined for science, I just got pushed down that route since year 9 I think. Now it's the only route I have which doesn't really give me much choice at all!
Yay atleast I know someone else who will go clubbing with me now :smile:
Asphyxiating
The finance form said 8k was the absolute minimum that is expected to be spent.

Oh damn, roll on the rich boyfriend plan then.
Reply 11
Asphyxiating

I WILL stop moaning now!

yeh i'm quite scared too, i like imperial much more then UCL
chandoug
yeh i'm quite scared too, i like imperial much more then UCL

Well I'm scared too, so that makes the three of us.
Reply 13
Mysticmin
Well I'm scared too, so that makes the three of us.

Four!, i'm scared too, but what you imagine is always worse than the real thing, lets just hope its true in this case!
Fingers crossed, and I'm currently praying for an un-ghastly timetable.
I don't know what you're all worrying about...you can always spot the Imperial types at a party...and boy do they party....the males fall into two types: very chic -dressed in black in winter and white in summer, a blonde on each arm, a fast car with its engine running waiting outside...or else they're in combats and dreadlocks, with just a hint of Kurt Cobain...and the women: imagine a younger Kate Moss crossed with Chloe Sevigny..
Reply 16
W.A.S Hewins
I don't know what you're all worrying about...you can always spot the Imperial types at a party...and boy do they party....the males fall into two types: very chic -dressed in black in winter and white in summer, a blonde on each arm, a fast car with its engine running waiting outside...or else they're in combats and dreadlocks, with just a hint of Kurt Cobain...and the women: imagine a younger Kate Moss crossed with Chloe Sevigny..
:rolleyes:

I'm very much looking forward to Imperial, and learning lots :smile: Be optimistic!
Reply 17
W.A.S Hewins
Heh, I'm scared now! But on the whole I am quite looking forward to it like edders :smile:.
Reply 18
Mysticmin
I'm currently praying for an un-ghastly timetable.

u haven't seen the exam timetables yet??
Reply 19
As far as my experiences tell me, Computing and Maths are a bitch at Imperial as far as workload is concerned, and it gets worse every year.

From what my friends tell me, Physics and Biology are quite easy if you're reasonably intelligent and most of the work is un-assessed. First term is also A-level maths all over again for Physics, so you can doss it if you're not dumb. They're also *far* fewer exams in these subjects and the timetables are much nicer. So depending on department you're either going to have an "okay" time or a "rough" time but you'll never have an "easy" time (it's Imperial, afterall).

Latest

Trending

Trending