The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Darkness
As far as my experiences tell me, Computing and Maths are a bitch at Imperial as far as workload is concerned, and it gets worse every year.

From what my friends tell me, Physics and Biology are quite easy if you're reasonably intelligent and most of the work is un-assessed. First term is also A-level maths all over again for Physics, so you can doss it if you're not dumb. They're also *far* fewer exams in these subjects and the timetables are much nicer. So depending on department you're either going to have an "okay" time or a "rough" time but you'll never have an "easy" time (it's Imperial, afterall).

yay....esp as I'm taking Computing!! :rolleyes:
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
chandoug
u haven't seen the exam timetables yet??

No, i mean the normal lecture/labs timetable.
Darkness
As far as my experiences tell me, Computing and Maths are a bitch at Imperial as far as workload is concerned, and it gets worse every year.

From what my friends tell me, Physics and Biology are quite easy if you're reasonably intelligent and most of the work is un-assessed. First term is also A-level maths all over again for Physics, so you can doss it if you're not dumb. They're also *far* fewer exams in these subjects and the timetables are much nicer. So depending on department you're either going to have an "okay" time or a "rough" time but you'll never have an "easy" time (it's Imperial, afterall).

Hows Mech Engineering <she asks anxiously>
Reply 23
Darkness

you are right. for JMC and Computing (1st yr), there were eight paper exams and three lab exams, as well as continuous assessed coursework over the whole year... :biggrin:
Reply 24
i hope after all this work you guys are onto good 1st year grades!
Reply 25
Asphyxiating
I'm so scared of going to Imperial now, I don't wanna go :frown: My insurance is UCL but I hate it even more there..all this workload that everyone is talking about and the crap social life. I am so lazy I probably won't do any work and fail miserably :frown: lol My brother seemed to cope ok but then that's my brother. Anyway this sounds really stupid but I think I've made a terrible mistake. Applying for the wrong subject and I'm going to spend 3-4 years doing something I'm not really interested in. And on top of that, the average cost is 14K a year to live there :frown: Fantastic.

I WILL stop moaning now!

These were exactly my thoughts...and more, but in my case they were so powerful that I choose not to put IC down as my Firm! If you feel this strongly its not to long to change your mind, you just have to contacts unis and stuff, it may be extremely hard work!
Reply 26
Kuz
These were exactly my thoughts...and more, but in my case they were so powerful that I choose not to put IC down as my Firm! If you feel this strongly its not to long to change your mind, you just have to contacts unis and stuff, it may be extremely hard work!

On the other hand you you'll never get anywhere without taking a "risk".
I bet it's not even THAT bad, people are just scare mongering, and we all learn to cope :smile:
Reply 27
BossLady
On the other hand you you'll never get anywhere without taking a "risk".
I bet it's not even THAT bad, people are just scare mongering, and we all learn to cope :smile:

But i decided i didnt want to risk the happiness of the next four years of my life. Since I can remeber I always wanted to go to uni, so at the end of the day Im not goin to risk me enjoying the experience I have wanted for so long for my case the sack of a unis reputation and prestige. But that is me personally!
Reply 28
Well if JMC is really THAT hard what the hell am I going to do? I certainly dont want to be a nerd! Can anyone tell me how people who are doing JMC at imperial cope with it?? I would really like to know, as I AM going to do JMC at Imperial (pretty sure of getting the grades for Imperial which is my firm)

Thanks
Reply 29
integral_neo
Well if JMC is really THAT hard what the hell am I going to do? I certainly dont want to be a nerd! Can anyone tell me how people who are doing JMC at imperial cope with it?? I would really like to know, as I AM going to do JMC at Imperial (pretty sure of getting the grades for Imperial which is my firm)

Thanks

It depends on your definition of "hard". If you consider hard as difficulty, then yes the work is hard, but if you are capable of achieving the required grades then you will also be able to cope with the difficulty of the work that is set so it's not so much of a problem.

OTOH, if you consider hard as workload, then you will find the course very hard (in my opinion), because there is just tons of work to be done. In other words, the course is very intensive workload wise, and if you're a lazy bugger you won't last very long (you could copy stuff off friends, but that won't help you in exams). Now that does not by any means imply that you won't have a social life, of course you will. It just means that you will have to be prepared to put in a few hours most nights (to complete assignments, if anything else) if you want decent marks.
Reply 30
Kuz
But i decided i didnt want to risk the happiness of the next four years of my life. Since I can remeber I always wanted to go to uni, so at the end of the day Im not goin to risk me enjoying the experience I have wanted for so long for my case the sack of a unis reputation and prestige. But that is me personally!

It does just depend on everyone personal doesnt it? anyways you should have fun at warwick.
I know for me personally, i seemed to click with ICL when i was wandering around....
Reply 31
Darkness
It depends on your definition of "hard". If you consider hard as difficulty, then yes the work is hard, but if you are capable of achieving the required grades then you will also be able to cope with the difficulty of the work that is set so it's not so much of a problem.

OTOH, if you consider hard as workload, then you will find the course very hard (in my opinion), because there is just tons of work to be done. In other words, the course is very intensive workload wise, and if you're a lazy bugger you won't last very long (you could copy stuff off friends, but that won't help you in exams). Now that does not by any means imply that you won't have a social life, of course you will. It just means that you will have to be prepared to put in a few hours most nights (to complete assignments, if anything else) if you want decent marks.

Well if it's just the fact that I'll be doing 2/3 (maybe 4?)hrs of work in the evening that's fine, I mean it's what you'd expect from a good uni i would have thought?! As long as the work is actually humanly possible, then it's all good!
Reply 32
integral_neo

Thanks

Oh, come, come. It's not THAT hard. It's difficult and challenging, but then anything worth doing is. I'm a first year JMC (just finished exams) and as long as you put in a consistently reasonable amount of time every evening, attend your lectures and tutorials, and don't let things pile up, it's definitely manageable. The student support is strong so you will be able to clear any queries up as you go along and should be fully prepared by the time the exams come along.

On your first meeting in October you'll be told the old "we expect 40 hours of work a week in addition to lectures and tutorials" rhetoric, but that really is not necessary even to obtain a good first.
Reply 33
rahaydenuk
Oh, come, come. It's not THAT hard. It's difficult and challenging, but then anything worth doing is. I'm a first year JMC (just finished exams) and as long as you put in a consistently reasonable amount of time every evening, attend your lectures and tutorials, and don't let things pile up, it's definitely manageable. The student support is strong so you will be able to clear any queries up as you go along and should be fully prepared by the time the exams come along.

On your first meeting in October you'll be told the old "we expect 40 hours of work a week in addition to lectures and tutorials" rhetoric, but that really is not necessary even to obtain a good first.

There are many people in the country better at maths than you, rahaydenuk
Lepr

God, you really are random aren't you.
Reply 35
rahaydenuk

lol nearly 6 hours per day...that must be bad for anyone's health!

Hey rahaydenuk now that you've finished exams, have you finished uni for the summer?
Reply 36
Lepr

Yes... was there a point to that or do you just like to state the obvious?
Reply 37
BossLady
Hey rahaydenuk now that you've finished exams, have you finished uni for the summer?

Nope, we have a group project and some Prolog lectures, but nothing too heavy thankfully.
Reply 38
rahaydenuk
Yes... was there a point to that or do you just like to state the obvious?

It's just fun to point out to diligent mediocrities(like yourself) that, despite their zealous work ethic, they'll never be remotely special.
Reply 39
rahaydenuk
Nope, we have a group project and some Prolog lectures, but nothing too heavy thankfully.

That's not too bad then, hope your taking advantage of the weather and sunbathing in hyde park (with a laptop obviously).

Latest

Trending

Trending