The Student Room Group

Official Edexcel S3 thread Wednesday 20 May 2015 Morning [6691]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Damien_Dalgaard
Any reason how come :smile:

Just for more practice, I will put links in the OP to papers etc.

sure
Can anyone please help with June 2013 R question 2. A step-by-step explanation would be much appreciated. I understand how to get the final answer as n=7, however my initial inequality is of the form < -1.6449 and not >1.6449.

Thanks in advance! :smile:
Original post by JaiGuruji
Can anyone please help with June 2013 R question 2. A step-by-step explanation would be much appreciated. I understand how to get the final answer as n=7, however my initial inequality is of the form < -1.6449 and not >1.6449.

Thanks in advance! :smile:

This is My solution,

X~N(40,9)
XBAR~(40,9/n)
P(XBAR>42)=P(Z>2/(3/rootn))
P(Z>2/(3/rootn))<5%
2/(3/rootn) greater than or equal to 1.6449
n is greater than or equal to 6.09
n = 7

Hope it isnt too ambiguous, just try and understand what each line means in terms of standard deviation, and which percentages we are looking to find. I often find drawing graphs and highlighting the section we are trying to find very useful :smile:
Hi there,

I dont understand how youve moved from <5% in one line to n is greater than or equal to 1.6449. I thought its meant to be less than or equal to -1.6449.

Thanks again

Original post by shloke123
This is My solution,

X~N(40,9)
XBAR~(40,9/n)
P(XBAR>42)=P(Z>2/(3/rootn))
P(Z>2/(3/rootn))<5%
2/(3/rootn) greater than or equal to 1.6449
n is greater than or equal to 6.09
n = 7

Hope it isnt too ambiguous, just try and understand what each line means in terms of standard deviation, and which percentages we are looking to find. I often find drawing graphs and highlighting the section we are trying to find very useful :smile:
Anyone? S3 June 2013 R Question 2 please?? Thanks!
Reply 45
Anyone? S3 June 2013 R Question 2 please?? Thanks!

X~N(40,9)

XBAR ~ (40, 9/n)

P(XBAR > 42 ) < 0.05 Is the same thing as 1 - P(XBAR < 42 ) < 0.05

Rearrange to get: P(XBAR < 42 ) > 0.95

then solve from there
Original post by xKay
X~N(40,9)

XBAR ~ (40, 9/n)

P(XBAR > 42 ) < 0.05 Is the same thing as 1 - P(XBAR < 42 ) < 0.05

Rearrange to get: P(XBAR < 42 ) > 0.95

then solve from there

Thanks for that! Much appreciated! Can you pls explain why just doing it as less than or equal to -1.6449 would be wrong from P(XBAR > 42 ) < 0.05.

Thanks again!
Reply 47
Thanks for that! Much appreciated! Can you pls explain why just doing it as less than or equal to -1.6449 would be wrong from P(XBAR > 42 ) < 0.05.

Thanks again!

if the probability of xBAR is GREATER than 42 is less than 0.05 then it is going to be on the right hand side of the normal distribution curve so its therefore the positive 1.6449

If it was xBAR is Less than 42 is less than 0.05 then it is on the right hand side of the distribution curve so we would use the negative -1.6449

Don't know if that made sense to you, or If I even answered your question.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by xKay
if the probability of xBAR is GREATER than 42 is less than 0.05 then it is going to be on the right hand side of the normal distribution curve so its therefore the positive 1.6449

If it was xBAR is Less than 42 is less than 0.05 then it is on the right hand side of the distribution curve so we would use the negative -1.6449

Don't know if that made sense to you, or If I even answered your question.

Yeah it does! Thanks for that! :smile:
Reply 49
Yeah it does! Thanks for that! :smile:

:smile:
Reply 50
i dont understand the mark scheme for Q 4 June 2014 (R)How do you do it... Many Thanks!
Original post by Rkai01
i dont understand the mark scheme for Q 4 June 2014 (R)How do you do it... Many Thanks!

i approached this question in a slightly different manner..
the thing is that you know that it is a one tail, 5% level, so the critical value is 1.6449,
next thing is you need to express the test statistic:

The test statistic, you need the mean, so you calculated the mean of the sample (the fifth value is n), and then the SD and sample size is given in the question, so you can express the test statistic.

Next step, in order to reject H0, you need test statistic greater than the critical value, so you express that (see the Mark scheme), and you solve it

Hope it helps
Reply 52
Hey! Can you guys help me out with Q 4 of the June 2014 paper. Thanks. I'm not sure how you get z = +-3.2905
A machine fills packets with X grams of powder where X is normally distributed with mean mu. Each packet is supposed to contain 1 kg of powder. To comply with regulations, the weight of powder in a randomly selected packet should be such that P(X 􀀝 mu 30) = 0.0005
(a) Show that this requires the standard deviation to be 9.117 g to 3 decimal places. (3)
Original post by Adriana_
Hey! Can you guys help me out with Q 4 of the June 2014 paper. Thanks. I'm not sure how you get z = +-3.2905
A machine fills packets with X grams of powder where X is normally distributed with mean mu. Each packet is supposed to contain 1 kg of powder. To comply with regulations, the weight of powder in a randomly selected packet should be such that P(X 􀀝 mu 30) = 0.0005
(a) Show that this requires the standard deviation to be 9.117 g to 3 decimal places. (3)

look at the formula booklet page 21, because you know that the probability is 0.0005, so the corresponding Z value is either + or - 3.2905, and then you can transform P(X 􀀝< mu 30) = 0.0005
to P(Z < -30/ sigma) =0.0005, and you get -30/sigma = -3.2905 (because it is negative anyway)
Reply 54
Oh okay, I didn't realise it was .0005 and not .005. Silly me. Thank you DCMed96!
Reply 56
Hi do you have any more of these please.

please look in my site
(My stats section is not great but it will still be helpful)
Original post by TeeEm
please look in my site
(My stats section is not great but it will still be helpful)

Is your site madas maths?
Reply 58
Is your site madas maths?

look in my profile because apparently I am not allowed to quote it in full
(against advertising TSR rules)
Original post by TeeEm
look in my profile because apparently I am not allowed to quote it in full
(against advertising TSR rules)

I was getting you confused with ten of them, you names are similar.

I think I did some of your papers before, great website sir!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending