The Student Room Group
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole

Event Managemen Course

Hi,

I'm currently looking at different universities to study event management and I found that Bournemouth had a course there. The life there seems great but I was wondering if the course in that particular subject would be too as I read a lot of subject on Bournemouth being a great university for all the media courses but not necessary for the other ones. I checked and I have the qualification needed to access it but is this course a great one ? and is the course worth it ?

Thanks for any help,
Emma
Iv applied and hopefully it's my first choice but personally I think the year placement year and the course layout looks perfect for events
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole
Reply 2
OK, than we might see each other there ^^
I live near Bournemouth and it's an old people's town, you'll struggle to get any real life events management experience in a town that has no events. Of course you have your placement year but employers are looking for people who actually go out and find it themselves.
Reply 4
I've applied, also hopefully my first choice! I really liked the course and uni/accommodation itself when I visited on an open day. The whole place is friendly and there's a lot going on which is what I was looking for. The town has a good reputation for its nightlife too, which I knew before I looked at the uni as I work in the club industry part time.

I guess I might see you later in the year! Good luck with your applications either way :smile:
Hi Emma,

My name's Bradley and I'm a third year placement student at Bournemouth University studying Events Management.

I was pretty set on studying events since Year's 10/11 so I spent a lot of time mulling over where to study. Having already completed two years at Bournemouth, I can tell you that choosing BU was the best decision that I've ever made!

Considering that events is a relatively new discipline at undergraduate level, Bournemouth has become a frontrunner in providing a well rounded events course which is also complimented with a MSc course if you want to continue at postgraduate level. The conception that Bournemouth is full of OAP's and lacking a busy schedule could not be further from the truth! Bournemouth is heavily student populated which creates a fantastic atmosphere around town and there's always lots and lots going on. Bournemouth Air Festival for example is a fantastic opportunity for you to gain first hand experience (bournemouthair.co.uk), and the town also boasts a successful entertainment venue (bic.co.uk) alongside a high flying football club and a busy events calendar. See for your yourself here.

More importantly, the sandwich element of the degree gives you the best opportunity to gain vital skills and experience. Some of the students on my course are spending their year out working at the likes of Hewlett-Packard, Apple and AFC Bournemouth. This is thanks to the fantastic links that the university has with the industry. Best of all, this year is paid! Probably more than you would expect too...

The course itself gives you both the opportunity to progress as an academic but also provides the hands on experience that is needed to work in the events industry. In your second year, you will work in a small team and put on a live event. Everything is run by you. You have to manage your budgets, marketing and logistics using all of the skills that you have learned along the way. It gives you the most authentic events experience and all the money you raise goes to your charity, which gives you a bit of a feel good factor.

As you mentioned, our media school is internationally renowned but that does not eclipse the strength of the other faculties at the university. The School of Tourism offers a wealth of experience from professional academics and those who have worked in the industry. Students from the media school filmed some of our events last year, which you can watch on YouTube. The crossover of faculties allowed the media students to complete some work, whilst it offered us some professional filming to add to our portfolio's, so take advantage of all of the facilities at BU.

There's loads more to find out, so if you have any questions then please ask. Good luck with your application and if you haven't paid Bournemouth a visit then I suggest that you come and have a look around to see what all the fuss is about.

Oh and the nightlife isn't bad either!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending