The Student Room Group

What A level/s do you find a joke?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jasey
Think it's pretty rude to describe subjects as 'a joke' just because you think it's above your own intellectual realm, people have their own attitudes and interests so who is anyone to mock what they choose to learn lol. Sorry to be the guy taking the moral high ground but this thread exposes a lot of educational elitism which is plain rude

GEOLOGY ISN'T A REAL SCIENCE!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jasey
Think it's pretty rude to describe subjects as 'a joke' just because you think it's above your own intellectual realm, people have their own attitudes and interests so who is anyone to mock what they choose to learn lol. Sorry to be the guy taking the moral high ground but this thread exposes a lot of educational elitism which is plain rude

Preach! :smile: I completely agree, no subject is a joke.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WilJones138
Yep, there's only two other people besides me who got A's in maths last year and we all agree maths is our best chance of getting an A* :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

Finally someone agrees! !maths is piss easy ...you just need practice

Posted from TSR Mobile
Honestly it depends a lot on the board because some boards are much harder for certain subjects?
Example: Friend at a different school takes RS/Philosophy in a different board to me, and the content is really simple, but the board my school picked is really difficult and a lot of work at AS+A2, but the GCSE one was easy.
Original post by Jasey
Think it's pretty rude to describe subjects as 'a joke' just because you think it's above your own intellectual realm, people have their own aptitude and interests so who is anyone to mock what they choose to learn lol. Sorry to be the guy taking the moral high ground but this thread exposes a lot of educational elitism which is plain rude

It's their opinions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 65
Original post by fudgecake22
It's their opinions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

A gold star for captain obvious
Reply 66
Original post by Aleveltimes
Yeah I guess so but I always get super offended when people say that business studies is a joke because I really don't think it is. I take maths, chemistry and biology also at A Level along with Business Studies and I think all 4 subjects are worthy of equal effort. To really access the high grades for business studies, people have to have a good ability at both maths and English, especially at A2 where you're expected to just complete calculations as part of your answer without prompting and write complete essays to a good standard. I know that it may appear less challenging and seem to need less effort but I believe that business studies is extremely useful and definitely not a joke.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree it isn't a joke in a sense it is easy, I took Business Studies. I wouldn't say it was easy to be honest. What made it challenging was the breadth of material, there was so much to remember. In my opinion, it was assigning so many words and phrases to too much, and only scratching the surface. I think Business Studies would be a better A-Level if it had a smaller spectrum of material it covered, and entered more depth.

The reason I included it in this thread was due to that fact that I found it a joke because I don't feel I learned that much due to it assigning names and phrases to a mass of theories I mostly knew instead of actually looking into them. At least that was my experience of it.
Original post by Jasey
A gold star for captain obvious

Like you just stated your opinion. Which someone may disagree

Posted from TSR Mobile
Finally someone agrees! !maths is piss easy ...you just need practice

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I know a lot of people who failed physics/chemistry/biology last year but still managed B's in maths haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lxbsly
I agree it isn't a joke in a sense it is easy, I took Business Studies. I wouldn't say it was easy to be honest. What made it challenging was the breadth of material, there was so much to remember. In my opinion, it was assigning so many words and phrases to too much, and only scratching the surface. I think Business Studies would be a better A-Level if it had a smaller spectrum of material it covered, and entered more depth.

The reason I included it in this thread was due to that fact that I found it a joke because I don't feel I learned that much due to it assigning names and phrases to a mass of theories I mostly knew instead of actually looking into them. At least that was my experience of it.

If it was more focused it might have more of a standing and be seen more positively but if you were really serious about a career in business and taking the A Level then it would lead onto a course at university which would then become more detailed and in depth. Most A Levels, except the sciences and maths to an extent only scratch the surface of the subject. I'm not saying that science and maths teach you everything, because they really don't but they are definitely more focused and indepth than business studies etc...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I guess so but I always get super offended when people say that business studies is a joke because I really don't think it is. I take maths, chemistry and biology also at A Level along with Business Studies and I think all 4 subjects are worthy of equal effort. To really access the high grades for business studies, people have to have a good ability at both maths and English, especially at A2 where you're expected to just complete calculations as part of your answer without prompting and write complete essays to a good standard. I know that it may appear less challenging and seem to need less effort but I believe that business studies is extremely useful and definitely not a joke.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I completely agree with you !! :smile:
(I've acheived all my A levels and on a gap year btw)

I did Chemistry, Biology, Maths, Business Studies all at A2 and acheived all A*s and A's.

I can honestly say that A level Business studies is Extremely useful in practical life and is by no means a joke. Everything is a business and having good knowledge of business concepts (e.g. Motivation of workforce/ Business structure/ Effects of inflation or interest rates on business's and consumers etc..) all these help you better understand the world/news better and help a lot in practical life.

I also completely agree with you in that you have to apply good Maths skills e.g for the finance questions and obviously good English for the big essays.

However the people who take Business studies generally tend to be less academically minded than those who take the science subjects. (Don't mean it in a rude way)

But your right in order to access the higher grades you need to work your a** off as I think only 3% get A* at A2 business. Which is really low.

What boards are you on ?? :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by blue1211823
That was actually pretty insightful..

I do try :cool:
Politics
Original post by Jasey
Think it's pretty rude to describe subjects as 'a joke' just because you think it's above your own intellectual realm, people have their own aptitude and interests so who is anyone to mock what they choose to learn lol. Sorry to be the guy taking the moral high ground but this thread exposes a lot of educational elitism which is plain rude

You say that like there isn't elitism on this site *cough* stem snobbery *cough*

I found maths very hard, but chemistry and biology were no problem. I agree with you, everyone excels in different subjects and to think that certain subjects give you an intellectual advantage compared to others is pathetic.

Not everyone is the prestigious A*-of-everything know it all who takes pride in thinking they are Gods gift :rolleyes:
Guess it was just communication! I think that's the problem (not just on here), people see a BTEC grade and think that a real Business studies A Level is of the same difficulty because nobody bothers to be correct in their descriptions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

:colondollar:
Guess so

Sorry if I said anything which offended you or anything, wasn't trying to offend you :colondollar:
Original post by Jasey

Kind of true because I remember doing AS Sociology and I got a D :frown: and most people describe that subject as a joke.
Original post by futuremedic19
I completely agree with you !! :smile:
(I've acheived all my A levels and on a gap year btw)

I did Chemistry, Biology, Maths, Business Studies all at A2 and acheived all A*s and A's.

I can honestly say that A level Business studies is Extremely useful in practical life and is by no means a joke. Everything is a business and having good knowledge of business concepts (e.g. Motivation of workforce/ Business structure/ Effects of inflation or interest rates on business's and consumers etc..) all these help you better understand the world/news better and help a lot in practical life.

I also completely agree with you in that you have to apply good Maths skills e.g for the finance questions and obviously good English for the big essays.

However the people who take Business studies generally tend to be less academically minded than those who take the science subjects. (Don't mean it in a rude way)

But your right in order to access the higher grades you need to work your a** off as I think only 3% get A* at A2 business. Which is really low.

What boards are you on ?? :smile:

You want to be a doctor? I've not met anyone that's taken the same A level combination as myself and is interested in medicine.

I'm on AQA for business studies and always have been, ever since gcse. I'm aiming for an A* in business studies and in hope I'll get it because my teacher is just an amazing person and has always encouraged me to aim high and achieve.

You should message me if you want to talk some more about it all!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LadyEcliptic
You say that like there isn't elitism on this site *cough* stem snobbery *cough*

I found maths very hard, but chemistry and biology were no problem. I agree with you, everyone excels in different subjects and to think that certain subjects give you an intellectual advantage compared to others is pathetic.

Not everyone is the prestigious A*-of-everything know it all who takes pride in thinking they are Gods gift :rolleyes:

Mentioned earlier everyone has different abilities/motivation/opinions and idiosyncratic views.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mentioned earlier everyone has different abilities/motivation/opinions and idiosyncratic views.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Im well aware of that.
Ive done stem and non stem subjects and I'd have to say, non stem took up a lot more of my time.

But it's unfair to put science subjects above the rest.. In my opinion.

Quick Reply