The Student Room Group

Spelling Mistake!!!

omg....

this is really anal, and i should get over it, but my week has been getting gradually worse :frown:

for some reason, nobody, including me, picked up that i spelt pursuits - "persuits"!

anyway my ucas form was sent yonx ago, but will this "slip" affect my application??

ironically, i'm applying for english...

oh dear..x

Scroll to see replies

Not to any significant degree.
Reply 2
Yes, typos are treated extremely harshly by universities. They will blacklist you and you will not only be rejected from all your choices, but will never be allowed to apply again.

Or, more seriously, it'll be fine. :smile:
Reply 3
Yeah maybe the universities will miss it too! After all, they have so many personal statements to look through.

Which uni's did you apply to for English?
oxford, warwick, bham, notts, machester, keele woo hoo :smile:
ohh, how bout urself (just saw ur applying for english too)!!!

i was gonna go apply to durham, but its too far lmao x
Reply 6
Oxford (open)
Durham (St Chad's)
Warwick
UCL
KCL
Leeds (got an AAB offer! :biggrin:)

They all have such great courses. Yay English! :biggrin:
ooooo i might see u at one of them hhaha :P good luck to u, i hope u get into the uni u want to :biggrin: :biggrin:

kcl, that looks wkd!

i think notts/man/bham do AAB or sommit yay notts is a great course too! :smile:
Reply 8
RudyKatoch
ooooo i might see u at one of them hhaha :P good luck to u, i hope u get into the uni u want to :biggrin: :biggrin:

kcl, that looks wkd!

i think notts/man/bham do AAB or sommit yay notts is a great course too! :smile:

Yeah, we're going to get into Oxford, aren't we! :biggrin:
Hehe good luck to you too!!
Reply 9
I'm sorry I don't mean anything bad by this.. But why study english? do you want to become a teacher or something? :p:
Reply 10
Wazzz
I'm sorry I don't mean anything bad by this.. But why study english? do you want to become a teacher or something? :p:

Nope, I would never be a teacher..:p:

Frankly, I haven't the foggiest idea what I'm going to do after I graduate, all I know is that I absolutely love English Lit and I'll just do it and see what happens.
I think most people who do English are driven by passion as well, not so much by the prospect of sums of money or a clear idea of the future.

What are you doing?
Reply 11
jl7
Nope, I would never be a teacher..:p:

Frankly, I haven't the foggiest idea what I'm going to do after I graduate, all I know is that I absolutely love English Lit and I'll just do it and see what happens.
I think most people who do English are driven by passion as well, not so much by the prospect of sums of money or a clear idea of the future.

What are you doing?

Ok :biggrin: Because I mean you Live in england and obviously know english so why would you study it for three more years you know? if it was french ok.. but if its litterature then i get it (more) :biggrin: But I don't see the job opportunities, that's why I asked

I'm doing nothing right now but i have applied for economics :biggrin:
Reply 12
Wazzz
Ok :biggrin: Because I mean you Live in england and obviously know english so why would you study it for three more years you know? if it was french ok.. but if its litterature then i get it (more) :biggrin: But I don't see the job opportunities, that's why I asked

I'm doing nothing right now but i have applied for economics :biggrin:

Ooh I like economics too! But reading The Economist and all those econ related articles in the newspapers bores me.. so I realised it wasn't for me. :p:

And hey we still have our Masters! Maybe I'll try something different then. :biggrin:
Reply 13
Just forget about it there is nothing you can do now.
Reply 14
I have to say, I had to look really hard to see the difference between "pursuits" (the actual spelling) and "persuits" (the way you spelt it!) That might just be because I generally don't pick up on things like that but it may also show that it IS NOT a hugely obvious mistake that will damage your chances of getting an offer! Yes, some of the tutors will pick up on it but if the rest of your application is strong then they aren't going to discount you for such a silly little mistake. They generally have better reasons for rejecting people and are not usually that petty! Don't worry about it!
Reply 15
RudyKatoch
omg....

this is really anal, and i should get over it, but my week has been getting gradually worse :frown:

for some reason, nobody, including me, picked up that i spelt pursuits - "persuits"!

anyway my ucas form was sent yonx ago, but will this "slip" affect my application??

ironically, i'm applying for english...

oh dear..x

An admission tutor at Imperial College said that spelling mistakes really annoy her, and given they have to read through hundreds it's a very brief way of assessing a personal statement. Sure, you can account it as a typo or a slight oversight, but the point is you should have taken the time to read over it carefully - and then get someone else to read it - to avoid such errors.

I don't think it will harm your chances but it certainly sets you off on the wrong foot.
Reply 16
it's true.
Reply 17
Well during your interview, you could talk about how you admire the use of irony in literary works.
"To reflect that, I deliberately spelt 'pursuit' with an 'e'..." :p:
Reply 18
Don't worry about it. It is only one letter and if the rest of the application is good then it probably won't make a difference. There is no spell checker on the UCAS apply area though.
I had a horrible experience earlier. I sent my UCAS off about 10 days ago. A friend was reading over my personal statement because he was interested to see what I wrote. Then, in a perfectly serious voice and expression, he handed it back saying "Yes, that was an excellent personal statement. Just a shame you misspelled 'Medicine'."

I had an absolutely awful paniced moment until he started laughing and said "gotcha". I'm not sure if he's forgiven yet or not lol.

Latest

Trending

Trending