The Student Room Group

Chances of Securing a Legal Job as as Solicitor

Hey, I'm currently studying Law (LLB) at a top Russel Group University and am on course to achieve a 1st overall in my degree.
However at A-Level I did not perform as well achieving only ABC in History, English Language and French. I took a Gap Year to resit these but fell under mitigating circumstances and couldn't resit my exams. However I still got into a very good Russel Group University.
I have a lot of extra curricular on my CV there is so much volunteering and sports and stuff on there so in that area I'm fine.

My question is because of my bad A Levels will I realistically be able to get a job in a top city firm as a solicitor?
I'm just looking for honest answers.

Thank you!
Reply 1
Original post by StaceyFeta
Hey, I'm currently studying Law (LLB) at a top Russel Group University and am on course to achieve a 1st overall in my degree.
However at A-Level I did not perform as well achieving only ABC in History, English Language and French. I took a Gap Year to resit these but fell under mitigating circumstances and couldn't resit my exams. However I still got into a very good Russel Group University.
I have a lot of extra curricular on my CV there is so much volunteering and sports and stuff on there so in that area I'm fine.

My question is because of my bad A Levels will I realistically be able to get a job in a top city firm as a solicitor?

Thank you!

What uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Your A Level grades will inevitably prevent you from being considered by some firms. It will not, however, drastically affect an application to a smaller regional firm, or even city, that does not use A Levels as a preliminary filter - especially if you get a high 2:1 or a First, from a good University alongside relevant EC's and some solid experience.
Reply 3

Uni of Manchester
Reply 4
How are you finding studying law at Manchester?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by StaceyFeta

Thank you!

You'll get a job. There is always work for a solicitor, even one with bad A-levels. Becoming a barrister is harder in such a circumstance, but in that case you can always qualify in Scotland (essentially, there's no such thing as a tenancy and you are *completely* self employed).

You might not get a Magic Circle biglaw job, but there's much more than biglaw in the world of Law.
Reply 6
Worth applying! A Level requirements are a good screening process for some firms but your degree sounds appealing. Have you contacted any graduate admissions contacts at any firms, or been to the University Careers Department, or spoken to your tutor? All ways that can help I expect.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending