The Student Room Group

Want to do masters - no references?

Hi there

I graduated a few years ago, I wanted to do a masters but had no money and for various reasons had to go right out to work. only now do I have enough money to do the masters I want to do and the stability of life etc.

I have a 1st class degree with congratulatory award in Law. I work in a vaguely related area of Law and have several years experience.

I have done one post grad professional qualification, but they were the cram course with home study, only pass/fail and my tutors didn't really know me personally.

I am looking to do an LLM in Jurispridence or related area, or an MA in Canon Law. ( my interest is in the overlap of canon law and civil laws, and also philosophy of laws)

I have no references for my masters application because by last degree was a few years ago, and probably my tutors who knew me have left.

I don't want to ask my employer because they are funny about people doing study otside of work, thinking they want to leave, plus it is for personal interest not for work progression and my employer is likely to sabotage me by piling on the work to make me fail.

How can I get around the requirement for references?

Do any places accept pre-reading plus a sample of work instead?

It is possible (although more difficult) that I can get a few pieces published before applying, instead of a reference.

Surely there must be people doing masters in my situation with no references? What do they do? Can you suggest something?

Also how much harder is an MA / LLM than undergrad
Reply 1
In your shoes, I'd approach your target uni, explain your situation and ask them what they would prefer as a reference. I doubt you can bypass the requirement completely but they should be used to dealing with people who don't want to approach their employer for a reference for the reasons you give.

Your undergraduate university will still have your student records. Staff should be able to write you a basic academic reference based on those, even if there are no staff remaining who remember you or taught you.
Reply 2
Academic staff often stay around at one place for a long time so you would be unlucky if nobody that taught you was still there. They might not remember you but to if you explain why you are contacting them and send them one of your essays from back then (if you've still got them) they might just decide to be helpful.

Employer references are the usual alternative though I can understand why you are reluctant.
Reply 3
Original post by shinytoy
Hi there

I graduated a few years ago, I wanted to do a masters but had no money and for various reasons had to go right out to work. only now do I have enough money to do the masters I want to do and the stability of life etc.

I have a 1st class degree with congratulatory award in Law. I work in a vaguely related area of Law and have several years experience.

I have done one post grad professional qualification, but they were the cram course with home study, only pass/fail and my tutors didn't really know me personally.

I am looking to do an LLM in Jurispridence or related area, or an MA in Canon Law. ( my interest is in the overlap of canon law and civil laws, and also philosophy of laws)

I have no references for my masters application because by last degree was a few years ago, and probably my tutors who knew me have left.

I don't want to ask my employer because they are funny about people doing study otside of work, thinking they want to leave, plus it is for personal interest not for work progression and my employer is likely to sabotage me by piling on the work to make me fail.

It is possible (although more difficult) that I can get a few pieces published before applying, instead of a reference.

Surely there must be people doing masters in my situation with no references? What do they do? Can you suggest something?

I know many academics having worked in a university. They regularly provide references for former students they do not remember. Most universities are obliged to keep data for a certain number of years so it would just be a case of looking you up on their system or asking administrative staff to find details on you.

In some cases, other staff - usually the current programme director - will write a reference confirming basic things such as the degree you did, when you attended, and what marks you got.

If you contact the university you are applying for there is a good chance they will let you off with just supplying one reference.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by shinytoy
Hi there

You should contact tour department. I already found a department saying that for those in your situation.
I don't think you can just bypass it altogether. But you may be able to substitute professional references with academic and personal references.
Have you considered Open Uni? don't think you need references for it!
Reply 7
Ok most likely I will use a personal reference and a general academic one like you said. they said it is ok
Reply 8
Just an update for anyone wondering about this issue - I went on to do other professional qualifications instead, but am looking at doing a masters in the future afterward. I actually found that some very good unis do not need any reference for the masters - russell group ones. oxford needed three, cambridge needed two. but i have contacted cambs to see if they will accept a published body of work instead - since i dont want my employer to know im doing it, and my uni ones are too old

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending