The Student Room Group

Poor attendance

I am in my first year of Uni studying English Literature at UCLAN, and in my first Semester my attendance was very poor due to a lot of things that were happening in my life at the time, some people have told me that if you have poor attendance you don't get your next loan, is this true? If it is I really dont know what I will do because I won't be able to get to uni and essentially I will have to drop out. :confused: :cry2:
Thanks x
Reply 1
Original post by CMAGS
I am in my first year of Uni studying English Literature at UCLAN, and in my first Semester my attendance was very poor due to a lot of things that were happening in my life at the time, some people have told me that if you have poor attendance you don't get your next loan, is this true? If it is I really dont know what I will do because I won't be able to get to uni and essentially I will have to drop out. :confused: :cry2:
Thanks x

No that's nonsense. While you're still a uni student, you will continue to receive your SF. SF alone have no way of monitoring your attendance and no interest in it.

IF the uni monitors attendance, then they might withdraw you from the course if they think that a) your explanation isn't convincing and/or b) you've missed too much to be able to catch up. If the uni does this, then they will inform SF and you will not get any more SF (and may be required to pay some of it back immediately).

However it would be very unusual for a uni to take this kind of drastic action without talking to you first. If you've had no communication or warning about attendance from the uni, then you will have no problem with SF.
Your attendance is only confirmed to SFE at the start of each year.
Reply 3
Original post by OU Student
Your attendance is only confirmed to SFE at the start of each year.

So it won't matter? I will still get my money in Jan?
Reply 4
Original post by Klix88
No that's nonsense. While you're still a uni student, you will continue to receive your SF. SF alone have no way of monitoring your attendance and no interest in it.

IF the uni monitors attendance, then they might withdraw you from the course if they think that a) your explanation isn't convincing and/or b) you've missed too much to be able to catch up. If the uni does this, then they will inform SF and you will not get any more SF (and may be required to pay some of it back immediately).

However it would be very unusual for a uni to take this kind of drastic action without talking to you first. If you've had no communication or warning about attendance from the uni, then you will have no problem with SF.

Thanks a lot! thats great! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by CMAGS
So it won't matter? I will still get my money in Jan?

It won't matter and you will get your money in Jan - unless the uni throws you off your course.

The uni inform SF at the start of each academic year, that you have physically turned up. SF have no interest in whether you attend lectures after that. It's the uni's concern from that point and whether they take any action is up to the uni. The only way the uni could stop your money, is by throwing you out.

Withholding SF money is not used as a punishment for poor lecture attendance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending