The Student Room Group

Help with losing weight

Following summer and now Christmas, I have gained quite a few kilos. I'm looking to shred off this extra fat through the obvious way of cutting back on what I eat (small, healthy portions) and exercising at least 3-4 times a week. The only problem I have is my unhealthy obsession with drinking Pepsi/Coke.

If I carry on drinking these substances, a max of 1 bottle a day (500ml), will it affect my weight loss tremendously? I know these drinks are bad but I'm not sure how bad and if they'll have any effect on my healthy eating/exercise.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by euphrosyne
Following summer and now Christmas, I have gained quite a few kilos. I'm looking to shred off this extra fat through the obvious way of cutting back on what I eat (small, healthy portions) and exercising at least 3-4 times a week. The only problem I have is my unhealthy obsession with drinking Pepsi/Coke.

If I carry on drinking these substances, a max of 1 bottle a day (500ml), will it affect my weight loss tremendously? I know these drinks are bad but I'm not sure how bad and if they'll have any effect on my healthy eating/exercise.

Seems as if, if you ditch the fizzy drinks and pop you'll lose the weight easily. That might be your only problem. With exercise and only drinking water for a period you could lose that weight. Coke etc....are the biggest causes of weight gain.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by HarryBarney
Seems as if, if you ditch the fizzy drinks and pop you'll lose the weight easily. That might be your only problem. With exercise and only drinking water for a period you could lose that weight. Coke etc....are the biggest causes of weight gain.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But that's the thing, my weight fluctuates so much and I have tried ditching it for years but it never lasts.. That's the one thing I can't stop drinking, it sucks :frown:
But that's the thing, my weight fluctuates so much and I have tried ditching it for years but it never lasts.. That's the one thing I can't stop drinking, it sucks :frown:

Then you've isolated the cause. The drinks. Now just find a way to stop it. When you want a drink take loads of water so your hydrated and don't feel like having a fizzy drink. There's no magic formula in weight loss. It's literally eat healthier, drink more water, and exercise. Believe it or not that's the formula.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by HarryBarney
Then you've isolated the cause. The drinks. Now just find a way to stop it. When you want a drink take loads of water so your hydrated and don't feel like having a fizzy drink. There's no magic formula in weight loss. It's literally eat healthier, drink more water, and exercise. Believe it or not that's the formula.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Alright, thank you for your help :smile:
switch to coke zero/diet coke/pepsi max
(edited 9 years ago)
Do more exercise and you'll have a craving for water.

Can tell you that after a nice long run all you want is a bottle of ice cold water, definitely not Pepsi.
Alright, thank you for your help :smile:

As a user has already said, why not try the diet/zero/max variants? Personally, I dislike all the low cal alternatives bar Pepsi Max, but I'm not really addicted to fizzy drinks anyway.

Original post by Zürich

Can tell you that after a nice long run all you want is a bottle of ice cold water, definitely not Pepsi.

Even after a long run or intense training session I'm not a huge fan of water, something about the taste of it (which is weird considering it has no real taste). The 'healthiest' drink I can manage is Powerade zero cal. But I agree, after a good exercise session, the last drink I want is anything fizzy.
Original post by TornadoGR4

Even after a long run or intense training session I'm not a huge fan of water, something about the taste of it (which is weird considering it has no real taste). The 'healthiest' drink I can manage is Powerade zero cal. But I agree, after a good exercise session, the last drink I want is anything fizzy.

I think water has it's own distinct taste. Just pure and refreshing, I love it. Although earlier on in the year I was running in the mountains and had a nice lager afterwards at an Inn. That was immense :coma:

In terms of 'health' then nothing is healthier than water though tbh.
(edited 9 years ago)
I recommend a diet of dust and lots of physical activity :colone: Edit: OMG i remember you!
(edited 9 years ago)
Just cut back a bit each day, or like said, intensive exercise will make you crave water and you'll realise how bad coke is for you.

And yes, it was.

As long as you cut back elsewhere, you can still lose weight... but the 200 calories from a drink could leave you hungry if it was in place of something calorie dense.

Start the exercise, make better food options and keep the drinks for the moment if you must and see where you go after 2-3 weeks.
a cup of water after you wake up. an apple before your lunch and really hard walking or running before go to bed
Count your calories and eat 500 calories below TDEE and you should be fine.
Might be worth a look at the low sugar options, as has been said. Not as nice, but still.
Join here and we can all motivate each other. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3046981

:h:
Lots of people are recommending the coke zero etc but I wouldn't recommend this. I've always been decently healthy but the past few months I've really worked on my exercise and nutrition. WEIGHT LOSS IS 30% EXERCISE AND 70% NUTRITION. You cannot outwork a bad diet and honestly those drinks are empty calories and full of sugar that will be stored as fat. Also, you do not need to cut your portion sizes! I tried doing this but you will find yourself craving food and then bingeing on more than if you just ate full, healthy meals. It will be hard at first, it always is. I was addicted to chocolate but after a few weeks the appeal finally begins to wear off. Rather than making yourself resist the food/drink (because you're sure to fail) try only having it as part of a cheat meal once per week? It sounds like you have a slight addiction to sugar so you could try reading books like I Quit Sugar For Life or health and fitness psychology books
Original post by Greg Jackson
switch to coke zero/diet coke/pepsi max

I drink Pepsi Max, that's my drink! However, I've read articles saying that these drinks are just as bad as the non-diety ones - don't really know what to believe.

Original post by Zürich

That's the thing, I am a runner (sort of) ; I run about 5k - 8k every day or two. After every run, I drink a bottle of ice cold Pepsi.. I don't mind water, but if I have the option of water or Pepsi, it'll always be Pepsi and I want to try and eradicate that desire.

Original post by TornadoGR4
As a user has already said, why not try the diet/zero/max variants? Personally, I dislike all the low cal alternatives bar Pepsi Max, but I'm not really addicted to fizzy drinks anyway.

As above, I do but again as above, some articles say they're worse so I never know which to go for :frown: I personally prefer the taste of Pepsi Max over everything.

Original post by Apocrypha
I recommend a diet of dust and lots of physical activity :colone: Edit: OMG i remember you!

Haha yeah, I'm back! :biggrin:

Original post by little_wizard123
Just cut back a bit each day, or like said, intensive exercise will make you crave water and you'll realise how bad coke is for you.

And yes, it was.

I'm going to try doing intensive exercise as a opposed to long distance running and see how that works and if I still crave Pepsi.

Thought so. Why this rather than a VM?

Original post by WoodyMKC
Might be worth a look at the low sugar options, as has been said. Not as nice, but still.

Roger that!

Original post by Katiewalden
Lots of people are recommending the coke zero etc but I wouldn't recommend this. I've always been decently healthy but the past few months I've really worked on my exercise and nutrition. WEIGHT LOSS IS 30% EXERCISE AND 70% NUTRITION. You cannot outwork a bad diet and honestly those drinks are empty calories and full of sugar that will be stored as fat. Also, you do not need to cut your portion sizes! I tried doing this but you will find yourself craving food and then bingeing on more than if you just ate full, healthy meals. It will be hard at first, it always is. I was addicted to chocolate but after a few weeks the appeal finally begins to wear off. Rather than making yourself resist the food/drink (because you're sure to fail) try only having it as part of a cheat meal once per week? It sounds like you have a slight addiction to sugar so you could try reading books like I Quit Sugar For Life or health and fitness psychology books

See, I've been told that that's a myth! But I'm still gonna opt for larger, healthier meals rather than smaller meals because I tend to drink Pepsi to replace a meal or to eradicate my hunger and I think that's why I have such an addiction to it.

Sorry for all being quoted into one message!
If it's the fizz of those drinks you enjoy, try fizzy flavoured water ^_^ Just be sure to check the labels. Some are full of calories and sugars.
See, I've been told that that's a myth! But I'm still gonna opt for larger, healthier meals rather than smaller meals because I tend to drink Pepsi to replace a meal or to eradicate my hunger and I think that's why I have such an addiction to it.

The main thing is just watching your calories. Short story, if you're counting calories to make sure you're not taking in too many (or too little either) then you're well on your way. Though it also helps tremendously to see what sort of meal size and frequency you work best with - some people prefer a few big meals a day, some prefer numerous smaller ones. Obviously if you're looking at losing weight, you'd go with the one which helps you feel less hungry throughout the day. The only difference is which one you prefer the feel of, as long as the calories are the same at the end of it then so will the results be :smile: But yeah, making switches to diet coke or whatever obviously means you can consume the same amounts whilst consuming less calories, and obviously less sugar which is nice from a health perspective.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest