The Student Room Group

What to do when a stranger knocks on the door

Scroll to see replies

I just switch off the lights so they don't know I am in and hide behind the settee until they leave.

Spoiler

Original post by stephaniecheung
I live in a house and my dad doesn't live here and my mum works night shifts. To be honest, I suggest you distract yourself from trying to look for things to be scared of. I had the EXACT same problem. I guess I grew out of it. My mum helped me fix a lock on my bedroom door that I could lock at night for extra security (this helps with anxiety). Also, I started playing videogames and listening to music more at night whilst wearing headphones. Sometimes I'd put the TV on to just drown out any other noise. If someone knocks on your front door, seriously, don't try and communicate with them and ignore them. I have had 2 strangers knock on my door before and didn't go for about 30 minutes and they just left after a while. If they don't leave after a significant amount of time, call or text your parents then the cops.

Jesus 30 minutes? That's weird!
Original post by CraigToddOwen
Jesus 30 minutes? That's weird!

yeah i thought so, I later asked my neighbours and it turns out some person called a taxi but they must've got the wrong house
Whilst concealing a flammable spray can behind your back in one hand, open the door and offer them a cigarette with the other. If they accept and proceed to light it, swiftly bring up the spray can and blast the cigarette lighter whilst they are holding it between you and their person, and thus engulfing them in flames in turn. If there's a welcome mat then make sure its a brush one, that way whilst they're thrashing around on top of it they'll continue to burn. That will teach the son-of-a-bitch to knock at your door. Have fun sport!
Keep the chain on.
Reply 25
​Answer the door with a pinless grenade in your outstretched hand.
Reply 26
I just open the door.

The only thing worth nicking in my place is the £1000 solid oak table.. and theres no way they're moving that in a hurry.
Reply 27
Original post by Maria1812
Hello I stay home alone sometimes as my parents are working especially when I have days off. When a stranger knocks I get scared I know you should not open the door however I am scared of noises and I just can't take the knocking I feel like I want to scream I feel scared I feel in danger I live in a flat however still I feel in danger.

I just feel scared when a stranger knocks on my door I cannot take the noise of knocking i hate noise I am easily scared I have bad anxiety. I know do not open your door because it might be a dangerous person any advice?

Unless you're really young, this doesn't sound like normal behaviour. It might be worth trying a therapist to help with your anxiety.

Original post by Schrödingers Cat
A burgalar is unlikely to knock on your door, if someone wanted to kill you they would be discrete about it

Not really tbh, it's an easy way into an otherwise secure property, especially if the occupant is vulnerable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending