The Student Room Group

GCSE Edexcel Mathematics June 2015

Hi everyone,

For those who are taking the Edexcel Mathematics GCSE Paper in 4 and 8 June 2015, have you started revising for it? I have revised from last year, and I also did the mock exam that covered June 2014 exam paper, and found out that the questions have changed. They are now making GCSEs much more harder. So how should we revise? As I'm looking at June 2013 and 2012 papers, and finding them much more easier than June 2014. The style of questions have changed and now it's much more difficult to gain an A/A* grade and I really want an A.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by oni176
Hi everyone,

For those who are taking the Edexcel Mathematics GCSE Paper in 4 and 8 June 2015, have you started revising for it? I have revised from last year, and I also did the mock exam that covered June 2014 exam paper, and found out that the questions have changed. They are now making GCSEs much more harder. So how should we revise? As I'm looking at June 2013 and 2012 papers, and finding them much more easier than June 2014. The style of questions have changed and now it's much more difficult to gain an A/A* grade and I really want an A.

Who told you this? None of it is true.
Let's just say in short, the paper is tougher, even some papers before like 2009 were hard, not sure what year.
Just 2014 paper had difficult topics, such as vectors that people struggle with, slightly tougher questions but if you revised, every paper should be the same difficulty lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mr M

Probably the effect of having new 9-1 GCSEs coming into force relatively soon assuming things are just getting slowly more difficult and building up to the 2017 GCSEs.

Which they're not.
Original post by Chittesh14
Let's just say in short, the paper is tougher, even some papers before like 2009 were hard, not sure what year.
Just 2014 paper had difficult topics, such as vectors that people struggle with[1], slightly tougher questions but if you revised, every paper should be the same difficulty lol.[2]

Posted from TSR Mobile

1) Yes, some question papers have particularly difficult questions...
and just because you don't understand a topic as well as you'd like to, it doesn't mean that whenever that topic is included, Pearson are looking to screw you over... it means you don't understand a topic as well as you'd like to.

2) And we all know that isn't strictly true. Hence why grade boundaries vary.
Original post by danconway
1) Yes, some question papers have particularly difficult questions...
and just because you don't understand a topic as well as you'd like to, it doesn't mean that whenever that topic is included, Pearson are looking to screw you over... it means you don't understand a topic as well as you'd like to.

2) And we all know that isn't strictly true. Hence why grade boundaries vary.

I know what I meant by the second part is that if you revised perfectly, it should all be easy. Grade boundaries change she to difficulty, but barely tbh lol by a few marks. I don't mind any topic after I revise in march, tbh I'm not aiming for A* more of 90+ UMS

IF NOT 100 UMS :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
I know what I warm by the second part is that if you revised perfectly, it should all be easy. Grade boundaries change she to difficulty, but barely tbh lol by a few marks. I don't mind any topic after I revise in march, tbh I'm not aiming for A* more of 90+ UMS

IF NOT 100 UMS :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

We'll see...
We'll see...

That's my aim, doesn't mean I'll achieve it, I hope I do and I will try, not 100%

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's my aim, doesn't mean I'll achieve it, I hope I do and I will try, not 100%

Posted from TSR Mobile

So do I :smile:
Do the very best you can and no silly mistakes!!!!
So do I :smile:
Do the very best you can and no silly mistakes!!!!

Thanks how old are you btw, like are you doing gcses?
Also, I know I make silly mistakes, whe it says work out hcf, I usually work out lcm my mind goes blank idk why I know how to work both out but it's like I read hcf but my mind says lcm. Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by oni176
Hi everyone,

Regardless of what the posters above me have stated i must say i completely agree with you.
Thanks how old are you btw, like are you doing gcses?
Also, I know I make silly mistakes, whe it says work out hcf, I usually work out lcm my mind goes blank idk why I know how to work both out but it's like I read hcf but my mind says lcm. Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm 17.
I'm in Year 12, so I'm in the first year of my A levels.

Haha yes, things like that will lose you marks. Just take it slowly, underline key words if it helps, and remember to check, double check and triple check!
Reply 12
Original post by Mr M

I think it is easier for those who are good at maths to say stuff like that.
Original post by Green22
I think it is easier for those who are good at maths to say stuff like that.

Mathematical aptitude has no bearing on someone's ability to tell the truth.
Reply 14
Original post by Mr M
Mathematical aptitude has no bearing on someone's ability to tell the truth.

Well if you say so but my maths teacher actually agreed that the paper was wiedish/ hard when i was questioning the paper.
Original post by oni176
Hi everyone,

I sat this paper last year in June and found it somewhat hard but managed to pass because you only need like 30% to pass anyway. Since you are aiming for an A i suggest you revise properly from now because you never know what could come up in that exam of your in June be it vectors or circle theorems(found these hard) Also Mathswatch is good so you should get the CD if you have not got one already or tell your school about it so they could provide you with an online log in. Most of all you shuold do at least one past paper a week between now and your final exam to see where you are making those silly mistakes. My mistakes were constantly the plus and minus signs in the simultaneous equations. Every thing counts in maths so you cant afford to loose any marks because that could be the difference between a B and an A. If you have anyone who is good at maths make use of them because that is what they are there for-Take every bit of help you are given. In my school we had moring and after school boosters to help us achieve our grades and plus since i have a sibling who does A level maths it also helped me.

Do not worry about maths exams getting harder but try your best as hard work always pays off.:smile:

Good luck in advance.
Reply 16
Original post by oni176
Hi everyone,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-bYDunjbO8
Original post by oni176
Hi everyone,

The papers are not harder, I would say, but they do test more understanding - which is a good thing. With these recent papers, application has been key - you can't memorise the steps to a question the previous year without understanding the process.

All you need to make sure you do is practise - use past papers, but don't just rely on them: find questions from other exam boards and worksheets, so that you can get a detailed understanding of the topics you study, and hence - hopefully - be able to apply all your skills to the 'new style' exam questions they are starting to ask.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by Mr M

I think it's true, because they are changing the specification from 2015, and they are aiming to make it harder. If you look at 2011, 2012 past papers they are very straightforward and I think the way that they asked questions were far more easier. Now it seems a bit complicated, and it feels like they are trying to trick you by including many 5 markers in the exam. Previously, there used to be like maximum two 5 markers but now they are increasing. I believe that previous exam papers are far more easier compared to June 2014. And I believe that June 2015 is going to be even harder, so I'm panicking already!
Original post by oni176
I think it's true, because they are changing the specification from 2015, and they are aiming to make it harder. If you look at 2011, 2012 past papers they are very straightforward and I think the way that they asked questions were far more easier. Now it seems a bit complicated, and it feels like they are trying to trick you by including many 5 markers in the exam. Previously, there used to be like maximum two 5 markers but now they are increasing. I believe that previous exam papers are far more easier compared to June 2014. And I believe that June 2015 is going to be even harder, so I'm panicking already!

If you want to unsettle yourself in this way go ahead. Don't upset other users though.

Thread closed.
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending