The Student Room Group

I went clubbing by myself and it was pretty amazing.

I'm sitting here at home on new years eve feeling pretty depressed, I have friends who are the most unreliable people, always bail out when I make plans with them and they rarely make plans with me. So I want to vent, sorry for the length.

It was a few weeks back and after weeks of back breaking work to fund my gap year I convinced myself I really wanted to go out and just dance the night away, who gives a **** what anyone thought of me. Of course I could have sat at home lingering in a abyss of pity and depression watching netflix or playing video games like most people would for fear of being judged, but I decided not to.

For whatever reason I also decided to roll molly for the second time on that ocassion.

It was a dingy underground club I was well aqquainted with in London, frequented by the quirky, alternative type and devoid of the horrid chavs or students who think they're hard who are oh so common in the million Liquid/Oceana/*insert typical student club*s you find.

As I entered the club I could feel it kicking in and I was bewitched by the pulsating deep house, I made my way to the spot right underneath the DJ and lost myself in the music.

That night I was so social it was amazing, I was free of the shackles of 'clingy friends who aren't having fun and don't want you too either' or 'your mate who always has to approach every girl in the club' and suprisingly peopled approached me numerous times.

I found two guys who were incredibly friendly to me and after telling them the truth,(that my friends had cancelled on me) they told me that I could stay with them the whole night, banter and bromance ensued. I still have their numbers.

On the dancefloor I also met a guy who was impressed by my dancing, we had a brief chat and I went off. I met him later in the smoking area ( this particular venue has quite an spacious smoking area with numerous benches, making it something of a social haven) and he introduced me to his friends who all did economics at LSE. We talked about lots of things, they were suprised I was only 18.

Later that night I also befriended a group of quirky individual rah types (though not the stuck up snob type, the kind of indy type who call themself poppy etc), we had incredibly enlightening chat, the type I find hard to come by living in a ****ty urban area where everyone wears primark hoodies, 3/4 of the best friends I grew up with have criminal convictions/ have sold drugs etc.

We spoke of current topics ranging from peoples opinions on politics, current events etc I met one truly mindblowing girl who I had a spark with and would have loved to have taken things further with but she was a tad bit frigid and as she was a Edinburgh student I thought it would be fruitless to try and pursue.

Over the course of the night, each of the compatriots I had founded great friendships with left the club and I shared heartfelt goodbyes with them. I was hesitant about trying to forge genuine relationships with them for fear I might come off to desperate or needy, so I bade them adieu one by one.

I left the club feeling so content and it was genuinely one of the best experiences of my life. That being said most people were somewhat shocked I was by myself but I suppose my sociability and charm quickly overode their fears.

Considering doing it again soon because I have pretty much no life and rarely do anything with the few of my friends who haven't gone Uni this year, there is also a DJ im a BIG fan of playing in a club in London this Friday.

This is quite a wierd thread and not expecting many people to post but it was thereapeutic and it helped me with my somewhat depressing circumstances.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I'm sitting here at home on new years eve feeling pretty depressed, I have friends who are the most unreliable people, always bail out when I make plans with them and they rarely make plans with me. So I want to vent, sorry for the length.

It was a few weeks back and after weeks of back breaking work to fund my gap year I convinced myself I really wanted to go out and just dance the night away, who gives a **** what anyone thought of me. Of course I could have sat at home lingering in a abyss of pity and depression watching netflix or playing video games like most people would for fear of being judged, but I decided not to.

For whatever reason I also decided to roll molly for the second time on that ocassion.

It was a dingy underground club I was well aqquainted with in London, frequented by the quirky, alternative type and devoid of the horrid chavs or students who think they're hard who are oh so common in the million Liquid/Oceana/*insert typical student club*s you find.

As I entered the club I could feel it kicking in and I was bewitched by the pulsating deep house, I made my way to the spot right underneath the DJ and lost myself in the music.

That night I was so social it was amazing, I was free of the shackles of 'clingy friends who aren't having fun and don't want you too either' or 'your mate who always has to approach every girl in the club' and suprisingly peopled approached me numerous times.

I found two guys who were incredibly friendly to me and after telling them the truth,(that my friends had cancelled on me) they told me that I could stay with them the whole night, banter and bromance ensued. I still have their numbers.

On the dancefloor I also met a guy who was impressed by my dancing, we had a brief chat and I went off. I met him later in the smoking area ( this particular venue has quite an spacious smoking area with numerous benches, making it something of a social haven) and he introduced me to his friends who all did economics at LSE. We talked about lots of things, they were suprised I was only 18.

Later that night I also befriended a group of quirky individual rah types (though not the stuck up snob type, the kind of indy type who call themself poppy etc), we had incredibly enlightening chat, the type I find hard to come by living in a ****ty urban area where everyone wears primark hoodies, 3/4 of the best friends I grew up with have criminal convictions/ have sold drugs etc.

We spoke of current topics ranging from peoples opinions on politics, current events etc I met one truly mindblowing girl who I had a spark with and would have loved to have taken things further with but she was a tad bit frigid and as she was a Edinburgh student I thought it would be fruitless to try and pursue.

Over the course of the night, each of the compatriots I had founded great friendships with left the club and I shared heartfelt goodbyes with them. I was hesitant about trying to forge genuine relationships with them for fear I might come off to desperate or needy, so I bade them adieu one by one.

I left the club feeling so content and it was genuinely one of the best experiences of my life. That being said most people were somewhat shocked I was by myself but I suppose my sociability and charm quickly overode their fears.

Considering doing it again soon because I have pretty much no life and rarely do anything with the few of my friends who haven't gone Uni this year, there is also a DJ im a BIG fan of playing in a club in London this Friday.

This is quite a wierd thread and not expecting many people to post but it was thereapeutic and it helped me with my somewhat depressing circumstances.

What a lovely thread!
I'm glad you enjoyed yourself - hope you embrace plenty more opportunities to do so in the future.

Pretty sure this is the main reason why you had a good time.

(Here's hoping the 'rah' girls and LSE guys didn't see you as the the guy who was off his face on molly' :lol:
(edited 9 years ago)
Best way to go clubbing tbh. I've done it before and like you say I couldn't care what people thought of me at the time, I am there to have a good time. You get talking to people and even can pull sometimes plus you can sort of float around at will. Props to you sir!
Reply 4
Original post by liarpoker
Pretty sure this is the main reason why you had a good time.

(Here's hoping the 'rah' girls and LSE guys didn't see you as the the guy who was off his face on molly' :lol:

Actually most of them were on it too
Actually most of them were on it too

Hmm how can you be sure?

Apart from the people with the tell tell signs, gurning, big pupils, very very chatty, it's not always that easy to tell.
Original post by Emily.97
What a lovely thread!
I'm glad you enjoyed yourself - hope you embrace plenty more opportunities to do so in the future.

I completely agree, very refreshing to hear! :smile:
nice fairy tale, tell me more m8.
Well written and good to hear. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's good to know
I always go by myself. Going with other people is boring as you have to hang around with them all the time when you can just head to the bar, grab a drink and then hit the dance floor and own it. I used to go with people but they always either got lost or whatever anyway so it was pointless.
Lol, admirable.
Reply 12
cool.

I hate house music tho
Funnily enough I always go with others but tend to wander off on my own inside the club.

Who's DJin this Friday?
Pop da Molly shoo
Original post by Messiah Complex
I always go by myself. Going with other people is boring as you have to hang around with them all the time when you can just head to the bar, grab a drink and then hit the dance floor and own it. I used to go with people but they always either got lost or whatever anyway so it was pointless.

Exactly this, if im honest whenever im out clubbing with friends I feel a bit like they're weighing me down and I just want to shrug them off. Sometimes I loose them on purpose.

I guess its because I like dancing by myself more then anything, I find the way lots of people dance on the dancefloor in their circles quite cringy,fake and not enjoyable in the slightest.

Original post by Tai Ga
cool.

I hate house music tho

I have friends that say this and to be fair I can understand why.

It's quite repetitive, lacks lyrics and is a mixture of lots of base with electronic sounds and it is far from stimulating.

But this is the exact reason I love it, the simplicity of it is beautiful. I feel with hip hop and rnb (what they play in mainstream clubs) you can't really dance to them, sure you can perform forced set moves which make you look cool and that's what people do all night but with house its like you are the rhythm, there is no set way to dance and everyone just looses themselves on the dancefloor. It's spiritual almost.

For the record im not talking about Avicci/Martin Garrix/most UK top 40

Original post by IcEmAn911
Who's DJin this Friday?

It's not exactly a big DJ but it's a small group called Eton Messy who have a youtube channel i've been a fan of for quite some time.

It's not exactly a big DJ but it's a small group called Eton Messy who have a youtube channel i've been a fan of for quite some time.

XOYO?
Original post by liarpoker
XOYO?

Yeah :K:, most probably not going though.
Reply 19
tl;dr

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending