The Student Room Group

AQA A2 SOCIOLOGY: Official Revision Thread for 2015 exams!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Student20
Hmm I'll probably just revise sociology the night before the exam. All you need to know is a bunch of sociologist names and maybe one or two case studies to make some crappy reference to, the rest is all general knowledge for me.

How?

I am sorry but this is bizarre...

so all the unit 4 and 3 topics are just 'names' etc...?Okay
Original post by DeanneSocio
That revision book firstly helped me so much! My way of revising was just writing things over and over again, or reading it over and over so I wouldn't recommend it - tbh i was just lucky.

I personally think it's better to know a little about all topics rather than everything from 2 or 3. Most questions can involve multiple theories e.g. for examples or counter arguments. So don't not learn things because they came up last year, you can still use them in another question possibly.

How did you answer the methods question?
Original post by xxvine
How?

That is also the case for me in AS all I did was learn the names and I still got an A.
Have any of you done is Sociology a science question? or been taught it yet? for unit 4 ? stratification and differentiation ?
Anyone know the 2014 questions?
What is a method question for the 33 marker? I am so confused!! I thought it was only the 8 theory topics that they could ask?!
Original post by kayladennison1
Anyone know the 2014 questions?

June 2014:
SCLY3: Beliefs in Society
1.Identify and briefly explain three arguments against the view that secularisation has occurred worldwide over the past 30 years or so, apart from those referred to in Item A. (9 marks)
2.Using material from Item A and elsewhere, assess the view that traditional churches are experiencing declining attendances mainly because they are no longer attracting the young. (18 marks)
EITHER
‘Religion today helps societies to remain stable and to avoid conflict.’ To what extent do sociological arguments and evidence support this view? (33 marks)
OR
Evaluate feminist views on the role of religion in society today (33 marks)

SCLY4: Crime and Deviance
1.Using material from Item A and elsewhere, assess sociological explanations for the types and patterns of green crime. (21 marks)
2.Using material from Item B and elsewhere, assess sociological explanations of the relationship between social class and crime. (21 marks)
3. Using material from Item C and elsewhere, assess the strengths and limitations of using unstructured interviews as a means of investigating the public’s perceptions of crime and fear of crime. (15 marks)
4. Assess the contribution of feminist perspectives to our understanding of society. (33 marks)

If you need any of the other topic questions let me know!
Original post by _Dani
Also, does anyone know what other sociologists to use for a subcultural theory question apart from Cohen and cloward and ohlin?

There's Miller who states that delinquency is the consequence of normal working class values.
He states there are 6 focal concerns of w/c culture that can lead w/c males into crime. These are:

Trouble

Toughness

Smartness

Excitement

Fate

Autonomy

There is also Matza and Sykes who state that youth is a period of time where people may drift in and out of crime. They lack control over their lives and want to gain some power so they take part in deviant acts with their peer group.

Hope this helps, these are just briefly explained, but if you want any more info on it, let me know :smile:
Original post by aisha 56
thank you soo much.. that will be great if you tell me the plan of this essay.. I was really struggling to make 1

Hi, i havent done one. To be honest there is very little info in the textbooks. i have loads. I'd doubt AQA are going to throw a curve ball in the last two years.

if you want other essay plans inbox me your email.

take care

Risteard
Original post by mollypops
June 2014:
SCLY3: Beliefs in Society
1.Identify and briefly explain three arguments against the view that secularisation has occurred worldwide over the past 30 years or so, apart from those referred to in Item A. (9 marks)
2.Using material from Item A and elsewhere, assess the view that traditional churches are experiencing declining attendances mainly because they are no longer attracting the young. (18 marks)
EITHER
‘Religion today helps societies to remain stable and to avoid conflict.’ To what extent do sociological arguments and evidence support this view? (33 marks)
OR
Evaluate feminist views on the role of religion in society today (33 marks)

SCLY4: Crime and Deviance
1.Using material from Item A and elsewhere, assess sociological explanations for the types and patterns of green crime. (21 marks)
2.Using material from Item B and elsewhere, assess sociological explanations of the relationship between social class and crime. (21 marks)
3. Using material from Item C and elsewhere, assess the strengths and limitations of using unstructured interviews as a means of investigating the public’s perceptions of crime and fear of crime. (15 marks)
4. Assess the contribution of feminist perspectives to our understanding of society. (33 marks)

If you need any of the other topic questions let me know!

For the 33 marker feminist question...how would you tackle that question...Unit 3
Reply 290
Original post by neonlights!
There's Miller who states that delinquency is the consequence of normal working class values.
He states there are 6 focal concerns of w/c culture that can lead w/c males into crime. These are:

Trouble

Toughness

Smartness

Excitement

Fate

Autonomy

There is also Matza and Sykes who state that youth is a period of time where people may drift in and out of crime. They lack control over their lives and want to gain some power so they take part in deviant acts with their peer group.

Hope this helps, these are just briefly explained, but if you want any more info on it, let me know :smile:

Thank you so much!!!!:smile:
Original post by xxvine
How?

Yeah names + general knowledge, nothing I read is new knowledge.
Reply 292
anyone predict what's gna come for mass media? i think news social construct might come up or pluralism on oc./representations of gender or ethnicity/sexuality.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 293
Original post by xxvine
For the 33 marker feminist question...how would you tackle that question...Unit 3

Hello there,

You would tackle this question by first an intro about the history of religion: 5000 years ago women were worshiped due to them being closer to nature, then the emergence of monotheistic religions with the idea of an angry Male God.

Then talk about radical feminism and evaluate with liberal: Linda Woodhead - religion as a cultural defense
Does anyone know how to tackle this question from the beliefs paper (AQA): 'Assess the view that fundementalism is a reaction to globalisation' ? (18 marks)

I have no idea how to structure it or what to say. Also, I'm not sure how many sides to write for an 18 marker. I've been writing a lot but haven't been scoring highly on them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Arsenal1471
Does anyone know how to tackle this question from the beliefs paper (AQA): 'Assess the view that fundementalism is a reaction to globalisation' ? (18 marks)

I have no idea how to structure it or what to say. Also, I'm not sure how many sides to write for an 18 marker. I've been writing a lot but haven't been scoring highly on them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Certainly is a reaction to globalisation.

You would be expected to write up to 2 sides

AO1 and AO2 points

Weber
Secularisation
Bruce
Cultural defence
Nanda
India
Huntingdon
Clash of civilisations
Giddens
Castells
Ict and fundamentalism
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by risteard
Certainly is a reaction to globalisation.

You would be expected to write up to 2 sides

AO1 and AO2 points

Weber
Secularisation
Bruce
Cultural defence
Nanda
India
Huntingdon
Clash of civilisations
Giddens
Castells
Ict and fundamentalism

Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone have any kind of prediction of the beliefs in society and crime and deviance questions that might come up?
Original post by mollypops
What is a method question for the 33 marker? I am so confused!! I thought it was only the 8 theory topics that they could ask?!

sometimes they ask to assess whether positivist/interpretivist methods are appropriate, they're part of the 8 normal theory questions:smile:
Original post by swoods2308
sometimes they ask to assess whether positivist/interpretivist methods are appropriate, they're part of the 8 normal theory questions:smile:

So what do we talk about lol

Where is the section in the book about positivist and interpretivists methods?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending