The Student Room Group

AQA A2 SOCIOLOGY: Official Revision Thread for 2015 exams!

Scroll to see replies

Hey guys, I also studied Mass Media and Crime and Deviance last year, so if you have any Q's feel free to ask! (I got an A* overall).
Reply 21
Original post by shanice17
Hey guys, I also studied Mass Media and Crime and Deviance last year, so if you have any Q's feel free to ask! (I got an A* overall).

Hello, I am struggling a little in regards to structure, how much to write etc. and hope you can shed some light onto this. Also, when you used a sociologist, did you include the year. Any feedback would be great. Thanks.
Reply 22
Original post by Harrigt
Hello, I am struggling a little in regards to structure, how much to write etc. and hope you can shed some light onto this. Also, when you used a sociologist, did you include the year. Any feedback would be great. Thanks.

Well structure probably differs by question, but as a basic rule of thumb here is the structure.(My teacher advised us not to bother with an introductory paragraph and to just get straight to it)

P1-strengths of theory/evidence for statement
P2-weaknesses of theory/evidence against statement
P3-conclusion

I was always told to give the year. Also, another bit of advice in case you haven't already received it: it always helps to use a real world instance of certain concepts in your work; the more recent, the better
Reply 23
Original post by scjman
Well structure probably differs by question, but as a basic rule of thumb here is the structure.(My teacher advised us not to bother with an introductory paragraph and to just get straight to it)

P1-strengths of theory/evidence for statement
P2-weaknesses of theory/evidence against statement
P3-conclusion

I was always told to give the year. Also, another bit of advice in case you haven't already received it: it always helps to use a real world instance of certain concepts in your work; the more recent, the better

Thank you for that. I don't think I can remember all the years unfortunately but can definitely remember the sociologists.
Reply 24
Global Development and Crime and Deviance are my topics. H.e.l.p.
Reply 25
Anything in particular for C+D?
Reply 26
Glad theres a revision thread
Reply 27

Hi :smile: I'm doing Beliefs in Society and Crime and Deviance
I'm just wondering what grades did you get for your AS Sociology exams and how 'easy' was it to get an A* overall for your a level?? I'm aiming for an A* really but I don't want it to be that I miss it by a few marks or something...
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 28
What did everyone get in their mocks?
I got 76% for Mass Media and 81% for Crime and Deviance; giving me an overall A for the mock. I don't know how but i had to revise a lot over christmas, it was horrendous. :frown:
Dreading the actual exam because of the amount of stuff to know

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29

Do you have any notes available by any chance?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
Original post by Husnara_a
What did everyone get in their mocks?
I got 76% for Mass Media and 81% for Crime and Deviance; giving me an overall A for the mock. I don't know how but i had to revise a lot over christmas, it was horrendous. :frown:
Dreading the actual exam because of the amount of stuff to know

Posted from TSR Mobile

Anything in particular you're struggling with?
Reply 31
Original post by scjman
Anything in particular you're struggling with?

Postmodernism for theory & methods
Globalisation & popular culture for mass media - them two are my weakest areas. I'm fine with crime and deviance so far :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
Postmodernism for theory & methods
Globalisation & popular culture for mass media - them two are my weakest areas. I'm fine with crime and deviance so far :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is the theory and methods bit suicide and science for you as well? If so, the postmodernist theories of whether or not sociology is a science is this: the whole debate is ultimately irrelevant, as science is just another claim to truth (not sure if this is what you were after). Globalisation in MM was (for us at least) pretty much about whether media globalisation is a way of different countries sharing their media output or whether it is a way of the Western world imposing their own norms and values on the rest of the world (I wrote an essay on this). I didn't really do popular culture under Mass media, but I did under Culture and Identity at AS level, having written an essay as to how far it is different from mass culture.
Reply 33
Original post by scjman
Is the theory and methods bit suicide and science for you as well? If so, the postmodernist theories of whether or not sociology is a science is this: the whole debate is ultimately irrelevant, as science is just another claim to truth (not sure if this is what you were after). Globalisation in MM was (for us at least) pretty much about whether media globalisation is a way of different countries sharing their media output or whether it is a way of the Western world imposing their own norms and values on the rest of the world (I wrote an essay on this). I didn't really do popular culture under Mass media, but I did under Culture and Identity at AS level, having written an essay as to how far it is different from mass culture.

Yeah, i understand PM idea's but structuring an essay seems to be hard, especially when applying to contemporary society as PM in itself; is talking about contemporary society. This is where I don't pick up marks, due to not applying it. :/ oh well, only aiming for an A in sociology, I'm sure I can get away with not knowing how it's applicable, lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
Yeah, i understand PM idea's but structuring an essay seems to be hard, especially when applying to contemporary society as PM in itself; is talking about contemporary society. This is where I don't pick up marks, due to not applying it. :/ oh well, only aiming for an A in sociology, I'm sure I can get away with not knowing how it's applicable, lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, as a criticism you could use certain events to demonstrate that class, gender, ethnicity etc. are all still important concepts that motivate people to behave the way they do. Also, with multiple media realities a good example is the film The Truman Show (maybe not real-life, but it's still a non-theoretical example) I haven't seen it, but I saw trailers for it
Reply 35
Original post by lewisdavis97
What are your units? I'm desperately trying to find someone else who studies Global Development! x

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am doing global development!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
Original post by aydob001
anyone else doing Beliefs in Society? :biggrin:

I am - so much to take in
Reply 37
Hi,

For A2, how much and how long do you write for 9 marks, 18 marks, 33 marks, 15 marks, 21 marks?

For AS - 2, 4, 6, 24 marker questions?

Either I am writing too much or too little. Reason I am asking is because our teacher has been off a lot lately.

Any replies will be appreciated.
Original post by Clared_
Anyone doing power and politics? Its so difficult!!

i am its so difficult :frown:
Reply 39
Mass media anyone? Lol. Barely anyone does it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending