The Student Room Group

Violin Grade 6 - is it worth it?

My teacher wants me to do my grade 6 violin in November this year but she says it's quite a step-up from Grade 5. I have over the years done ok in the exams getting either pass/merit (on my grade 5 I got a merit but I thought I was going to fail!) I'm not bad at playing the pieces - in my grade 5 I got 25, 26 and 27 despite a few mistakes. however I'm very bad at the aural/sight-reading & scales! I always get relatively middle marks and I'm worried I'm going to fail my grade 6. I'm in Year 10 so am doing my GCSE work but I'm worried I won't have time to practice plus I don't really know if it's worth it because I'll stop after my Grade 6. I enjoy playing the violin but I hate the scales/sight-reading/aural and get really nervous before exams so I end up messing up! Is Grade 6 worth any UCAS points?
Yes - grade 6 music does give UCAS points:

Distinction 45
Merit 40
Pass 25

http://www.ucas.com/how-it-all-works/explore-your-options/entry-requirements/tariff-tables/music-exams

However, most unis offer on A level grades. You may get a lower offer or find a dropped grade is 'ignored' if you have these points. Why stop at grade 6 though?
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79
Yes - grade 6 music does give UCAS points:

Distinction 45
Merit 40
Pass 25

http://www.ucas.com/how-it-all-works/explore-your-options/entry-requirements/tariff-tables/music-exams

However, most unis offer on A level grades. You may get a lower offer or find a dropped grade is 'ignored' if you have these points. Why stop at grade 6 though?

After grade 5 the exams get quite serious and you really have to put a lot of time and passion into your instrument as well as preparation To do well. In the simplest words: I lack motivation particularly for sight reading/aural/scales and I'm worried I'll fall behind at school
Yes - I understand that but there are holidays and weekends and 30 mins a day is more than enough for a good mark. Many students do music exams alongside GCSE and A level and find it helpful to be doing 'something different'.

However, if it is a chore then don't carry on as you'll resent it.

Quick Reply

Latest