The Student Room Group

ucas points for violin grade 6? Do you get any for Grade 5?

My teacher wants me to do my grade 6 violin in November this year but she says it's quite a step-up from Grade 5. I have over the years done ok in the exams getting either pass/merit (on my grade 5 I got a merit but I thought I was going to fail!) I'm not bad at playing the pieces - in my grade 5 I got 25, 26 and 27 despite a few mistakes. however I'm very bad at the aural/sight-reading & scales! I always get relatively middle marks and I'm worried I'm going to fail my grade 6. I'm in Year 10 so am doing my GCSE work but I'm worried I won't have time to practice plus I don't really know if it's worth it because I'll stop after my Grade 6. I enjoy playing the violin but I hate the scales/sight-reading/aural and get really nervous before exams so I end up messing up! Is Grade 6 worth any UCAS points?
http://www.ucas.com/how-it-all-works/explore-your-options/entry-requirements/tariff-tables
Music specific: http://www.ucas.com/how-it-all-works/explore-your-options/entry-requirements/tariff-tables/music-exams

UCAS Points start from Grade 6, up to Grade 8.

I have Grade 8, hasn't really helped me get into Uni or anything. Just a nice addition to me CV/UCAS App.
(edited 9 years ago)
Do you want to do something music/performing arts related at uni? If you don't, having music grades probably won't benefit your application all that much- your GCSE grades will certainly be more important.

If you're not enjoying doing the grades, why not take a break for a while? You can keep playing for enjoyment without doing the grades. While doing GCSEs, you might want to avoid extra stress, and it sounds like you find music exams pretty stressful.
Reply 3
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
Do you want to do something music/performing arts related at uni? If you don't, having music grades probably won't benefit your application all that much- your GCSE grades will certainly be more important.

If you're not enjoying doing the grades, why not take a break for a while? You can keep playing for enjoyment without doing the grades. While doing GCSEs, you might want to avoid extra stress, and it sounds like you find music exams pretty stressful.

I think you're right. I'm not really looking into doing music as a profession plus I think I need to focus more on my classes. I can always pick it up later

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending