The Student Room Group

Benefits of learning Swedish

I really want to learn it because it's such a beautiful language, I have always wanted to go to Sweden and it will stand me out as a uni applicant next year. Does anyone know any other benefits? Does knowing the language contribute to anything if I want to study Astrophysics or Engineering in the future?

(Sorry if this is in the wrong chat!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DedicatedWizard
I really want to learn it because it's such a beautiful language, I have always wanted to go to Sweden and it will stand me out as a uni applicant next year. Does anyone know any other benefits? Does knowing the language contribute to anything if I want to study Astrophysics or Engineering in the future?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can't think of any reasons not to learn it.

You might be able to read original works by Swedish Physicists etc.
Reply 2
Learning any language is a worthwhile valuable skill and worth a mention on an application. Swedish isn't one of the more common 'business use' languages I come across and I doubt it is of huge advantage for engineering, other than it could facilitate working in Sweden. Mind you everyone there probably speaks English. The only other benefit I can think off would be the advantage of being able to impress and chat up Swedish folk in their native language - they're a good looking Nation in my experience, particularly the women. In short I would go for it..
Original post by Zarek
Learning any language is a worthwhile valuable skill and worth a mention on an application. Swedish isn't one of the more common 'business use' languages I come across and I doubt it is of huge advantage for engineering, other than it could facilitate working in Sweden. Mind you everyone there probably speaks English. The only other benefit I can think off would be the advantage of being able to impress and chat up Swedish folk in their native language - they're a good looking Nation in my experience, particularly the women. In short I would go for it..

Yeah I have heard that the kids start learning English from the age of 9! It's amazing...and yes, I will take up your advice and I will try learning it (not just to impress :colondollar:). Some people say that English-speakers will find it easy to learn because it's somehow similar to English words? We will see...
Original post by Gott
Det ar mycket varkar!

Why can't we have it as a GCSE or A level, it is ridiculous (there was a thread on this called: 'Is anyone doing a less common language' or something like that

#angrygerman

If there was a GCSE Swedish option, I'd have taken that **** up faster than you can say, 'But what about French?!'

Ja det ar sant (I know a bit lol), French was the bane of my life back then. :rolleyes:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Gott
Same here, others in the class/hell of 2013-14 say the French sound like they have had a stroke: 'uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....bonjour....uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhh

:eek: Your class is rude! I have French friends and they don't sound like that :tongue:

I am just glad I scraped a C in it. My teacher made me take the Foundation Listening paper when she should have put me in Higher. That brought my whole grade down. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes it is a beautiful language.
I lived in Sweden for 4 or 5 years and can assure you that the language isn't difficult as I, a mere physicist, managed to learn it!

You will find that in higher education and particularly the universities, a lot of the books they use are in English as either the Swedish book doesn't exist or is far too expensive due to limited numbers produced. This particularly applies in the sciences and medicine.
The people there all speak excellent English and I knew quite a few students who came over from the UK to do PhDs and who couldn't speak a word of Swedish and never bothered to learn it. They didn't need to. In fact, people gravitate to you to practice their English.
I can recommend both Lund University and Umeå University as I worked for a time in both.

Go for it.
Reply 7
can go work at volvo if you fancy it lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Speaking as someone who speaks Dutch so a similar situation, your Swedish will never be as good as 99% of Swedes' English so you'll never actually use the language. Studies at advanced uni level are nearly always in English these days.

The only real advantage would be if you lived long term in Sweden for your own integration into their society.
Jag vilja lära mig Svenska :lol:

Well... I say that, my friend wants to, so I thought I'd just trundle along too casually.
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Jag vilja lära mig Svenska :lol:

Well... I say that, my friend wants to, so I thought I'd just trundle along too casually.

Lycka till dig och din vän.

Good luck!
Original post by Stonebridge
Lycka till dig och din vän.

Good luck!

Tack :smile:

Du tror att det är svårt? Like being understood I mean.

I have self taught my swedish within 6 months using only websites and such. It's not a hard language. My swedish is far from fluent or perfect but after 6 months I can have a full conversation with a Swede without many issues, and they almost always understand me.
Original post by xleoanimusx
I have self taught my swedish within 6 months using only websites and such. It's not a hard language. My swedish is far from fluent or perfect but after 6 months I can have a full conversation with a Swede without many issues, and they almost always understand me.

Ah det är god, jag kan inte tala svenska men jag tror att I've learnt quite a bit considering I've only used duolingo so far lol

And I haven't even learnt any tenses or grammar like I normally do
Reply 14
All you need to know is helvete, and optionally javla hora :smile:

It should be possible in 3 or 4 months intensive study to understand and be understood.
The grammar and vocabulary are not particularly difficult (compared with German, for example) but you will find it hard to get the pronunciation exactly right as there is a wonderful intonation and inflection present which is hard for English speakers to appreciate and master. In other words, most of us have to make do with speaking it with a curious English accent. You also need to take care, when speaking, with long and short vowel sounds. Getting it wrong means you can say completely the wrong word,

til exempel

bor / borr
dag / dagg
dam / damm
dop / dopp

och vidare

Have fun.
Original post by Gott
Got to hate the language though. I got a D but I got an A and a B in the reading and listening though, its the stupid way they are waited :angry:

It's weighted :wink:.

Quick Reply

Latest