The Student Room Group

classical and modern physics electromagnetsim textbooks

anyone know of any books which talk about the two and compare them?
Reply 1
Nope, but I'm replying because I'm interested in the answer too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
At what level?

Original post by Ilovemaths96
anyone know of any books which talk about the two and compare them?
Original post by WishingChaff
At what level?

university level?
The standard undergraduate book on electromagnetism is called, Introduction to Electrodynamics by David J. Griffiths.

Now a much bigger book, and generally considered a graduate text, is the book by John David Jackson. I think it is called Classical Electrodynamics.

Another good set of books on electrodynamics are in the Landau and Lif****z collection. You will have to look up the most suitable volume. I would note that these are very difficult and not for the faint hearted, definitely not a good first read.

As always the Feynman lectures are a beautiful introduction to any core level physics. These are much more focussed on the physics rather than the mathematics.

Finally, if we wish to see a more modern introduction to electrodynamics you should look for some books on gauge theory introducing it. I particularly enjoyed the book Gauge Fields, Knots and Gravity by John Baez.

Hope this helps.

Original post by Ilovemaths96
university level?
The standard undergraduate book on electromagnetism is called, Introduction to Electrodynamics by David J. Griffiths.

Now a much bigger book, and generally considered a graduate text, is the book by John David Jackson. I think it is called Classical Electrodynamics.

Another good set of books on electrodynamics are in the Landau and Lif****z collection. You will have to look up the most suitable volume. I would note that these are very difficult and not for the faint hearted, definitely not a good first read.

As always the Feynman lectures are a beautiful introduction to any core level physics. These are much more focussed on the physics rather than the mathematics.

Finally, if we wish to see a more modern introduction to electrodynamics you should look for some books on gauge theory introducing it. I particularly enjoyed the book Gauge Fields, Knots and Gravity by John Baez.

Hope this helps.

It certainly did help, many thaks for the reply.

Hope this helps.

It certainly did help, many thanks for the reply.

Quick Reply

Latest