The Student Room Group

52 books in 52 weeks (2015)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lionheart96
I always feel bad if i don't finish a book but if the book is bad why suffer through it? save some time and find a new/better book to read. life's too short don't you think.

Original post by minimarshmallow
We all have reading lists longer than the time we have left, so we cannot be wasting time we don't have on awful books.

Yeah I agree, but usually if I've started a book, I have to finish it! It's just one of my reading rules. But this is heading straight for the charity shop. Takes up space on my booksheld that it doesn't really deserve.

I'm glad to start something else now. 4 Books a month should do it right?
Original post by EggsterminateMe
Yeah I agree, but usually if I've started a book, I have to finish it! It's just one of my reading rules. But this is heading straight for the charity shop. Takes up space on my booksheld that it doesn't really deserve.

I'm glad to start something else now. 4 Books a month should do it right?

I just finished reading a pretty terrible book today ( which i've been reading since November) The ending was horrible and it was pretty poorly written all together, i'm actually glad i started reading a new book today (re reading since i only read halfway through it last year) A feast for crows which i want to finish by the end of next week. I'm determined to read 52 books this year!
I just finished reading a pretty terrible book today ( which i've been reading since November) The ending was horrible and it was pretty poorly written all together, i'm actually glad i started reading a new book today (re reading since i only read halfway through it last year) A feast for crows which i want to finish by the end of next week. I'm determined to read 52 books this year!

Yeah, Feak the Mighty is a re-read for me too.
What's the terrible book called?
*sighhhhhhh*
I wish I had time to read more but I have to study so much :frown::frown::frown: I'm so looking forward to summer just to I can relax and actually have time to enjoy a good book!
Right, time to write up my list so far:
- Utopia
- Much Ado About Nothing
- The Stranger
- Moab is my Washpot

Currently reading:
- 17 Equations that Changed the World
- The Myth of Sisyphus
- Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
- The Great Philosophers
- The Theoretical Minimum

Crap, I thought I'd read more than that. Oh well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, Feak the Mighty is a re-read for me too.
What's the terrible book called?

The Ten Thousand Immortals being a fan of history and the video game i decided to pick it up whilst i was out shopping, it was a big disappointment tbh.

A feast for crows
A dance with dragons
A song of ice and fire
S.
The prince
Art of war

Then i would like to read some classics possibly like war and peace or Anna Karenina
or what anyone else would recommend. Whats your reading list?
The Ten Thousand Immortals being a fan of history and the video game i decided to pick it up whilst i was out shopping, it was a big disappointment tbh.

A feast for crows
A dance with dragons
A song of ice and fire
S.
The prince
Art of war

Then i would like to read some classics possibly like war and peace or Anna Karenina
or what anyone else would recommend. Whats your reading list?

Ah I see. It's a video game isn't it?

I bought so many classics on boxing day! Thebookpeople were doing a huge sale.

I don't have a reading list but I've just roughly made one now

Nicholas Nickleby
To kill and mockingbird
The great gatsby
we are all completely beside ourselves
The Mysterious affair at styles

For now, I'm going to try finishing the five above before reading some more.

I should be also starting game of thrones. Maybe after the five on my list.

War and peace is like 900+. Do you tend to read for hours at a time or like for 15 minutes when you're free?
I also really want to start Anna Karenina but I want to buy the flexibound edition. Need to save up money. Maybe after I buy a Nintendo 3ds.
Original post by Krollo
Right, time to write up my list so far:
- Utopia
- Much Ado About Nothing
- The Stranger
- Moab is my Washpot

Currently reading:
- 17 Equations that Changed the World
- The Myth of Sisyphus
- Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
- The Great Philosophers
- The Theoretical Minimum

Crap, I thought I'd read more than that. Oh well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How did you find 'The Stranger'. I'm on like page 60 but I still can't manage to finish it. It's an extremely slow read for me. Maybe because it's an e-book. I think if I understood french, I'd have fun reading it.

Also, what's 'The Great Philosophers' like?
Ah I see. It's a video game isn't it?

I bought so many classics on boxing day! Thebookpeople were doing a huge sale.

I don't have a reading list but I've just roughly made one now

Nicholas Nickleby
To kill and mockingbird
The great gatsby
we are all completely beside ourselves
The Mysterious affair at styles

For now, I'm going to try finishing the five above before reading some more.

I should be also starting game of thrones. Maybe after the five on my list.

War and peace is like 900+. Do you tend to read for hours at a time or like for 15 minutes when you're free?
I also really want to start Anna Karenina but I want to buy the flexibound edition. Need to save up money. Maybe after I buy a Nintendo 3ds.

Yeah it is.
To kill a Mockingbird is a good read, i do have to say though, the first part of the book can be a bit difficult to get through.
Game of thrones books are very long too, ranging from 800 to 1000+ pages but if you like fantasy then its fine.
I tend to read for an hour or so for a few hours a day but it depends really, sometimes you sit down to read for 15 minutes and then get really into it and end up spending hours reading.
Whats the flexibound edition?
Yeah it is.
To kill a Mockingbird is a good read, i do have to say though, the first part of the book can be a bit difficult to get through.
Game of thrones books are very long too, ranging from 800 to 1000+ pages but if you like fantasy then its fine.
I tend to read for an hour or so for a few hours a day but it depends really, sometimes you sit down to read for 15 minutes and then get really into it and end up spending hours reading.
Whats the flexibound edition?

Yeah my sisters reading To Kill a Mockingbird for her GCSEs and it seems really interesting.
Flexibound edition is really cool. The book is basically flexible. You can even bend it and the spine won't break. I'm buying the word cloud classic version which has meaningful phrases and quotes from the book.
http://www.amazon.com/Christian-Andersen-Tales-Cloud-Classics/dp/1626862591/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1422225260&sr=1-5&keywords=word+cloud+classics%3F&pebp=1422225385230&peasin=1626862591 (Like this)
The picture doesn't do it justice. But holding one in your hand and you won't want to stop reading.
Yeah my sisters reading To Kill a Mockingbird for her GCSEs and it seems really interesting.
Flexibound edition is really cool. The book is basically flexible. You can even bend it and the spine won't break. I'm buying the word cloud classic version which has meaningful phrases and quotes from the book.
http://www.amazon.com/Christian-Andersen-Tales-Cloud-Classics/dp/1626862591/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1422225260&sr=1-5&keywords=word+cloud+classics%3F&pebp=1422225385230&peasin=1626862591 (Like this)
The picture doesn't do it justice. But holding one in your hand and you won't want to stop reading.

Thats really cool i might buy one too.
Have finished The Woman in White (gorgeous book, with an ending that's just unsatisfying enough to be interesting) and now need to decide on my next project. Preferably something shorter! :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 412
I don't know where I'd find the time to read that much! I do need to get through my books though...

I'm currently reading Magician.
Reply 413
How did you find 'The Stranger'. I'm on like page 60 but I still can't manage to finish it. It's an extremely slow read for me. Maybe because it's an e-book. I think if I understood french, I'd have fun reading it.

I found that book a little thought provoking, but not overly so. Maybe because I was already familiar with Camus' philosophy, I don't know. It was worth a read, but didn't leave much of an impression on me.
Right, I've finally finished The Great Philosophers by Stephen Law. For a philosophical philistine like me, it was a great introduction into how various thinkers considered the world around them, from Buddha and Confucius all the way through to Saul Kripke and Peter Singer. I don't claim to have an in depth knowledge of their theories, but it really helped me to put everything into a historical perspective which I find helps me see how different ideas fit together.
5/52...
Can someone recommend some good thought provoking Philosophical books?

Hegel: the phenomenology of spirit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

What do you mean by 'philosophical'? :h: These are all thought-provoking:

The Alchemist
The Unbearable Lightness of Being
Siddartha
The Stranger
City of Glass
Original post by AntisthenesDogger
Hegel: the phenomology of spirit.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you read any Hegel...? :beard:
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Have you read any Hegel...? :beard: