The Student Room Group

52 books in 52 weeks (2015)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mobbsy91
10 days :redface: I've got mine in 9 :frown: I'm going to study Business Finance & Economics - what you doing for A levels?

Ah, nice. :smile:

A day makes all the difference :wink:

I'm taking Maths, Chemistry, Biology and English Lit.
We're reading Frankenstein I think! Yayayayay - I never got round to finishing it so it's great incentive to do so over the summer! :P
Original post by turn-to-page394
Ah, nice. :smile:

A day makes all the difference :wink:

I'm taking Maths, Chemistry, Biology and English Lit.
We're reading Frankenstein I think! Yayayayay - I never got round to finishing it so it's great incentive to do so over the summer! :P

Haha yeh fair enough - although I always found compulsory reading so much worse than just reading for enjoyment...
Haha yeh fair enough - although I always found compulsory reading so much worse than just reading for enjoyment...

I guess if it's a terrible book then yes.

But I'm the kind of reader who just kind of speed reads and compulsory reading forces me to actually think about every sentence and word choice and what the author is trying to convey - reading between the lines for once instead of just steamrolling ahead with the plot.... :smile:
It's just refreshing to be forced to slow down and properly 'digest' a book and all the possible angles to it. It just makes me appreciate the novel (if I've read it before) a whole lot more.
Unless it's a book that's better off as just a story rather than a hidden moral lecture. :tongue:
I guess if it's a terrible book then yes.

But I'm the kind of reader who just kind of speed reads and compulsory reading forces me to actually think about every sentence and word choice and what the author is trying to convey - reading between the lines for once instead of just steamrolling ahead with the plot.... :smile:
It's just refreshing to be forced to slow down and properly 'digest' a book and all the possible angles to it. It just makes me appreciate the novel (if I've read it before) a whole lot more.
Unless it's a book that's better off as just a story rather than a hidden moral lecture. :tongue:

Ahh yeh I know what you mean!
I'm quite behind given exams are coming up, I'm only on 22/52. My last three:

The Economics of Industrial Innovation, by Christopher Freeman - I'm not sure what led me to read this. It was OK, but the last chapter made it for me. It was both beautifully written and very illuminating. The rest was a bit tedious to be honest, but I've occasionally quoted it in my economics essays.

Ivanov, by Anton Chekhov - Not his best known play, but I loved it. Is it concerning that I identified colossally with the title character?

The Seagull by Anton Chekhov - I didn't like it quite as much as Ivanov but it was nevertheless a brilliant read.

I might finish Plato's Republic over the next couple of days. I'll put the books back on the shelf for my exams after that

Posted from TSR Mobile
:getmecoat:

Um, wait up? :biggrin:

45 now :smile:

My finish is 100 though, so it's not like I'm running really far ahead and will sit smugly and sip champagne waiting for everyone else at the finish line...
(Which I totally now want to do).
(edited 8 years ago)
Ahh yeh I know what you mean!

Yay, my ramble made sense. :biggrin:

Original post by minimarshmallow
45 now :smile:

My finish is 100 though, so it's not like I'm running really far ahead and will sit smugly and sip champagne waiting for everyone else at the finish line...
(Which I totally now want to do).

What was the 45th book? :smile:

Oh, ok, I get it now.
(:wink: Haha - don't you dare :biggrin:)
I've read about 1 book this year, I think? Jeez I'm doing so badly
Original post by Krollo
I'm quite behind given exams are coming up, I'm only on 22/52. My last three:

The Economics of Industrial Innovation, by Christopher Freeman - I'm not sure what led me to read this. It was OK, but the last chapter made it for me. It was both beautifully written and very illuminating. The rest was a bit tedious to be honest, but I've occasionally quoted it in my economics essays.

Ivanov, by Anton Chekhov - Not his best known play, but I loved it. Is it concerning that I identified colossally with the title character?

The Seagull by Anton Chekhov - I didn't like it quite as much as Ivanov but it was nevertheless a brilliant read.

I might finish Plato's Republic over the next couple of days. I'll put the books back on the shelf for my exams after that

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm far behind too, but I've been reading Plato's Republic for a while... I'm choosing to slowly digest it, rather than plough on through. Have you read his Symposium?
Original post by amylouisetommo
I'm far behind too, but I've been reading Plato's Republic for a while... I'm choosing to slowly digest it, rather than plough on through. Have you read his Symposium?

I have indeed read his Symposium. Rather creepy sounding to our modern sensibilities but you can't beat Aristophanes' monologue. Where are you up to in the Republic? :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I thought I'd replied to this.

What was the 45th book? :smile:

Oh, ok, I get it now.
(:wink: Haha - don't you dare :biggrin:)

45 was Kiss Me First - Lottie Moggach
46 was Younger - Suzanne Munshower

(I don't even like champagne).
I thought I'd replied to this.
45 was Kiss Me First - Lottie Moggach
46 was Younger - Suzanne Munshower

(I don't even like champagne).

It's fine. :biggrin:

I've never heard of them... I'll check them out now. :tongue:

(Should've thought that through earlier. tut tut.)
It's fine. :biggrin:

I've never heard of them... I'll check them out now. :tongue:

(Should've thought that through earlier. tut tut.)

Kiss Me First was pretty good, I think I got it from The Works.
Younger was okay but it was a lending library book and I wouldn't recommend buying it.

I'm reading Oliver Sacks now, that man is a genius.

(Meh, I'll drink Buck's Fizz. See you in December!)
Kiss Me First was pretty good, I think I got it from The Works.
Younger was okay but it was a lending library book and I wouldn't recommend buying it.

I'm reading Oliver Sacks now, that man is a genius.

(Meh, I'll drink Buck's Fizz. See you in December!)

Ah, ok. :smile:
Library ftw though!

All I can gather from this is that I don't read the same type of books as you :tongue:
I guess i need to expand my reading horizons and all that.

(What? No changes permitted! Shocking!
Ciao then :wink: )
Ah, ok. :smile:
Library ftw though!

All I can gather from this is that I don't read the same type of books as you :tongue:
I guess i need to expand my reading horizons and all that.

(What? No changes permitted! Shocking!
Ciao then :wink: )

I think Younger is eBook only, not sure

Oliver Sacks is like a neuro psychology expert, he's incredible. You may have heard of The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat, or Awakenings.

(That's not a change, its an addition of orange juice).
Original post by Krollo
I have indeed read his Symposium. Rather creepy sounding to our modern sensibilities but you can't beat Aristophanes' monologue. Where are you up to in the Republic? :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is very strange sounding to a modern audience, but quite a nice idea to 'find your other half'.

I have just finished Book 5, the bit where Socrates gives examples of injustice to define justice. What did you think of that bit? :smile:
Just devoured Gone Girl in a day. Love the book - the twist is great (not unpredictable but still startling) and I like that even after the big twist, there are still lots of little twists and turns left; sometimes in 'twist' books, you get to the twist and then there's 150 pages of filler. Brilliantly written, need to see the film.

Going to finish A Girl is a Half-Formed Thing when I go on study leave. Book count is low at the moment but I should catch up over summer and the first term of an English degree :P
Original post by paradoxicalme
Just devoured Gone Girl in a day. Love the book - the twist is great (not unpredictable but still startling) and I like that even after the big twist, there are still lots of little twists and turns left; sometimes in 'twist' books, you get to the twist and then there's 150 pages of filler. Brilliantly written, need to see the film.

And yet I hated it. I really thought it was terrible. Thought the twist was fairly okay, but didn't make up for the rubbish filling the rest of the book. I honestly don't understand the hype...

I finished Before I Die and that was awful as well. Need to pick better books. Back to Oliver Sacks!
I think Younger is eBook only, not sure

Oliver Sacks is like a neuro psychology expert, he's incredible. You may have heard of The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat, or Awakenings.

(That's not a change, its an addition of orange juice).
Yeah, I've heard of the first one. :smile:

(Oh shush. That's obvs a change. :biggrin:)
Yeah, I've heard of the first one. :smile:

(Oh shush. That's obvs a change. :biggrin:)

Absolutely brilliant. I read that in college I think.
I'm about to finish The Minds Eye. On my Kindle I have that and Hallucinations and on my bookshelf I have Musicophilia and Anthropologist on Mars.

(A change would be if I'd gone 'actually, I'll just have a cider' :tongue:).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending