The Student Room Group

Civil Servant

Maybe at some point down the line, i'd consider going in for this.

I have heard that there is competition for places, stiff competition...

I have a fair bit of experience in the voluntary sector, my cv or resume :biggrin: is quite impressive, my GSSE grades are pretty good, my a-levels are mediocre (at best) and my degree, a good degree at a university considered excellent. How i got into said university with my a-levels....i still see as bizarre to this very day....

Anyways....although my course at university (York) did involve a year in the politics department (mark of 65), my 3 year course was a social science, and politics and myself went our seperate ways after the one year. If i were to start university again, i'd go for a politics degree...

Over the last 2 years my interest in politics has developed and grown threefold, BUT my knowledge of concepts, political history etc, is limited...

am i best self-educating myself on politics, get out some a-level books, university standard books.....to help my knowledge and become more 'politically-able'?

when working as a civil servant, do particular sets of qualifications matter that much? i.e. whats the emphasis on?

i'd describe myself as an extremely able person, intelligent, excellent communication skills, a good diplomat :p: :rolleyes: , a wise person....BUT, the sticking point is that my grades do not particularly reflect how capable a person i am. Myself and formal education = not the greatest compatibility....would 'they', the interviewers, see this as a feeble excuse?

regards
WHW

Latest

Trending

Trending