The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Birmingham vs Nottingham

I've been offered a place at Nottingham for German and beginners french with translation for ABB and an unconditional for Birmingham for German and translation.

I'm really torn between which one. Ideally I want to learn two language but I can still do this at Birmingham through languages for all and the year abroad is slightly better. In terms of the uni itself I like them both equally!

Opinions?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Visit them both and make a decision. Watching this may help:-

[video="youtube;XlOBZ6ndoA0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlOBZ6ndoA0[/video]
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
I've attended Nottingham, and have visited Birmingham. Of the two, Nottingham seems to have more about it.
don't be fooled by people who say nottingham is a better night out, brum is ****ing sick too. especially if your into house/raves etc.

also, in response to that campus video, at birmingham as a fresher you get to live in a sick park-type place with a lake with all the other freshers :biggrin:

in summary, birmingham all the way.
Birmingham is pretty much equal in most subjects and for languages I didn't think it would matter that much- I would be inclined to go to Birmingham as I prefer the city more as there's more things to do and probably a better night out. However Nottingham law school is amazing and the campus is stunning. In short it Does not matter where you choose as both will give you a stellar degree. Choose here you think you would be happiest over 3 years
Original post by neal95
Birmingham is pretty much equal in most subjects and for languages I didn't think it would matter that much- I would be inclined to go to Birmingham as I prefer the city more as there's more things to do and probably a better night out. However Nottingham law school is amazing and the campus is stunning. In short it Does not matter where you choose as both will give you a stellar degree. Choose here you think you would be happiest over 3 years

Nightlife wise I would say Nottingham easily. Having lived in Birmingham, and having gone to a fresher's week club night, I actually felt sorry for what Birmingham uni students had on offer. The bars and clubs in the city centre seem dead most weeks in later months, as students don't make the effort to travel that far out from Selly Oak.

Nottingham students pack out bar and clubs most weeks throughout the year. The freshers week clubbing nights were excellent.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Hollywood Hogan
Nightlife wise I would say Nottingham easily. Having lived in Birmingham, and having gone to a fresher's week club night, I actually felt sorry for what Birmingham uni students had on offer. The bars and clubs in the city centre seem dead most weeks in later months, as students don't make the effort to travel that far out from Selly Oak.

Nottingham students pack out bar and clubs most weeks throughout the year. The freshers week clubbing nights were excellent.

Ahh right thanks for the insight! That's strange as I would have thought the students would make the most of the amenities broad street has to offer !
Original post by neal95
Ahh right thanks for the insight! That's strange as I would have thought the students would make the most of the amenities broad street has to offer !

The whole first year charades is well organised by Nottingham. Everyone goes together from halls in hundreds in big groups on buses organised by the uni to the clubs, and this just continues on week after week. Not many in halls skip clubbing in first year.

I thought Birmingham was quite good close up, but Nottingham just has more. It is bigger, the buildings overall look newer, the organisation of the campus is better and less segregated than Birmingham's. Nottingham's campus is on a gigantic park, whereas Birmingham's is largely just concrete.
(edited 9 years ago)
The whole first year charades is well organised by Nottingham. Everyone goes together from halls in hundreds in big groups on buses organised by the uni to the clubs, and this just continues on week after week. Not many in halls skip clubbing in first year.

I thought Birmingham was quite good close up, but Nottingham just has more. It is bigger, the buildings overall look newer, the organisation of the campus is better and less segregated than Birmingham's. Nottingham's campus is on a gigantic park, whereas Birmingham's is largely just concrete.

Sounds good and lots of fun and effort by the SU . I would have applied for law but it's so competitive and my previous history wasn't good enough. I like both the campuses though and I am really happy with Birmingham as I support villa and it makes it easy to go to games aswell as being a strong law school with an excellent law society . I definitely see why you back Nottingham though
Original post by neal95
Sounds good and lots of fun and effort by the SU . I would have applied for law but it's so competitive and my previous history wasn't good enough. I like both the campuses though and I am really happy with Birmingham as I support villa and it makes it easy to go to games aswell as being a strong law school with an excellent law society . I definitely see why you back Nottingham though

I'm from Birmingham and live just a mile from the uni, so I have no bias. I chose Nottingham overall as it is more targeted by the top graduate employers, and the campus is a bit better. It was my dream uni.
(edited 9 years ago)
I thought Birmingham was quite good close up, but Nottingham just has more. It is bigger

You think Nottingham is bigger than Birmingham?

Original post by neal95

The night life is fine, rarely you'll get an objective opinion about Birmingham though. You could have Birmingham against the ****test town in the UK and people would back the latter.

Digbeth/Arcadian is buzzing every time I've gone.
Original post by Wilfred Little
You think Nottingham is bigger than Birmingham?

The night life is fine, rarely you'll get an objective opinion about Birmingham though. You could have Birmingham against the ****test town in the UK and people would back the latter.

Digbeth/Arcadian is buzzing every time I've gone.

Nottingham's main campus is bigger and better, and the free hopper bus connects well with the excellent Jubilee campus. One could argue that the university is just too big.

Birmingham uni students seem to avoid the city centre bars and clubs. Digbeth is another story, that isn't central.
(edited 9 years ago)
Nottingham's main campus is bigger and better, and the free hopper bus connects well with the excellent Jubilee campus. One could argue that the university is just too big.

Ignore that then, thought you meant the cities at first.

Birmingham uni students seem to avoid the city centre bars and clubs. Digbeth is another story, that isn't central.

It's Eastside but still the city 'centre'. It's a 60 second walk from Selfridges.

If they avoid that area then that's their own stupid fault. Can't complain about night life if you stick to Broad Street which is admittedly not the best place in the world.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Wilfred Little
Ignore that then, thought you meant the cities at first.

I much prefer Birmingham as a city, but when you are a student that doesn't matter much. I only ever went into Nottingham city centre for the nightlife, which was strictly exclusive to students during the week, and was awesome.

I also much prefer the medical school at Nottingham than that of Birmingham.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 14
I'm not really a massive club fan to be honest. The only worry I have is the price of accommodation but as I only live around ten minutes from birmingham it's very tempting to just live with family in my first year and benefit from the extra money as being a language student I want to spend as much time in Germany as possible. The only thing holding me back from birmingham if anything is that I can't study french with my german. I don't know if this is a massive problem or whether I'm just looking too far into things

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Leanne1455
I'm not really a massive club fan to be honest. The only worry I have is the price of accommodation but as I only live around ten minutes from birmingham it's very tempting to just live with family in my first year and benefit from the extra money as being a language student I want to spend as much time in Germany as possible. The only thing holding me back from birmingham if anything is that I can't study french with my german. I don't know if this is a massive problem or whether I'm just looking too far into things

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bad idea living at home first year, you need to live the first year to the full and make loads more friends. I wasn't a clubbing type at 18, but at uni that changed.
Reply 16
Bad idea living at home first year, you need to live the first year to the full and make loads more friends. I wasn't a clubbing type at 18, but at uni that changed.

I know but living costs after looking at cost of accommodation and the amount I can get in terms of maintenance is just completely unfeesable!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know but living costs after looking at cost of accommodation and the amount I can get in terms of maintenance is just completely unfeesable!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe you can stay in halls just the first year then? Very important. Of the two I still think you should firm Nottingham, the uni reeks of stardom and quality. It has a reputation with employers than Birmingham doesn't, proven by the fact that it came top last year for graduate employer targeting on campus.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 18
Birmingham ranks higher for my course than nottingham. I'm going to both of the applicant days to check them both out. Birmingham was the first uni I felt that "I would love to come here" feeling for. I'm going with a friend who has already completed a degree in languages so I think I will make a decision then

Calculated loans and grants etc earlier. Accommodation at birmingham is around the £6000 pound a year mark. That leaves me with like three grand to live on. We could be talking more for accommodation too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Birmingham ranks higher for my course than nottingham. I'm going to both of the applicant days to check them both out. Birmingham was the first uni I felt that "I would love to come here" feeling for. I'm going with a friend who has already completed a degree in languages so I think I will make a decision then

Calculated loans and grants etc earlier. Accommodation at birmingham is around the £6000 pound a year mark. That leaves me with like three grand to live on. We could be talking more for accommodation too!

Posted from TSR Mobile

How many subject rankings have you looked at? There is a video on youtube by a Physics Nottingham professor warning students not to choose a course based on subject tables, as there are probably 30 unis claiming to be top 10 for a subject.

[video="youtube;OdypNNlx1SM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdypNNlx1SM[/video]
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending