The Student Room Group

Your opinion:the importance of work experience?

I don't have that much work experience unfortuntley and so I was really limited in the universities I could apply to. For those of you who do have lots of work experience,In your opinion, do you think it was all that beneficial. I mean, realistically, did you think you could learn much from 12 weeks of work eperience where you're really limtied to what your able to do. For me my work exp, consisted mainly of observation, it's difficult to learn very much. What were other ppl's work exp like, was it more hands on? I'm just interested
Reply 1
Jaydigity
I don't have that much work experience unfortuntley and so I was really limited in the universities I could apply to. For those of you who do have lots of work experience,In your opinion, do you think it was all that beneficial. I mean, realistically, did you think you could learn much from 12 weeks of work eperience where you're really limtied to what your able to do. For me my work exp, consisted mainly of observation, it's difficult to learn very much. What were other ppl's work exp like, was it more hands on? I'm just interested

Invaluable. Veterinary science is vocational. If you can only watch- your at least seeing what you're going to be doing. If it was boring, its not for you. If it made you want to get involved- sometimes its about putting yoursalf out a bit and being halpful wherever possible- then it probably is for you. If you don't find work experience valuable, the 35+ weeks that you're going to have to do at vet shool isn't going to be much fun.
Reply 2
leggielass
Invaluable. Veterinary science is vocational. If you can only watch- your at least seeing what you're going to be doing. If it was boring, its not for you. If it made you want to get involved- sometimes its about putting yoursalf out a bit and being halpful wherever possible- then it probably is for you. If you don't find work experience valuable, the 35+ weeks that you're going to have to do at vet shool isn't going to be much fun.

I completely agree, I really enjoyed my work exp and it really helped me decide that veterinary is for me, but do you think that it's really nessecary to have 12 weeks eperience for entry to uni when you haven't even begun your course? Is there much benefit to 12 weeks vs. 4 weeks? I suppose I'm just annoyed because I only loked into British university requirements a few months go, so I don't have as much work eperience as most other candidates. Fair enough, you could say that they deserve the place more because they've got the experience, but I only decided on vet less than 2 years ago and I only realised how much work exp is nessecary relatively recently!
Reply 3
Not only have I learned a lot from the "veterinary" side, but I've also built good friendships with the vets/nurses/receptionists, so I'm able to get involved and help as much as I can. It's also good banter during the coffe break! The references I got were excellent, and even though I have a few years yet before I apply, they have been supportive all the way and I could say I've been very lucky to have been so involved.
Jaydigity
I completely agree, I really enjoyed my work exp and it really helped me decide that veterinary is for me, but do you think that it's really nessecary to have 12 weeks eperience for entry to uni when you haven't even begun your course? Is there much benefit to 12 weeks vs. 4 weeks? I suppose I'm just annoyed because I only loked into British university requirements a few months go, so I don't have as much work eperience as most other candidates. Fair enough, you could say that they deserve the place more because they've got the experience, but I only decided on vet less than 2 years ago and I only realised how much work exp is nessecary relatively recently!

The work experience I did before applying was invaluable. I did do a lot but I learnt so much from it. Esp. on the farm side of things. I had been brought up in an urban area and had rarely been close to cows, sheep and pigs. In the last yr or 2 before applying I worked on sheep, dairy and pig farms, enjoyed it so much and became so much more confident in handling and being around these animals. I learnt so much about the farming world and could talk for ages about it in my interviews.

Without work experience, you could possibly have a very 'blinkered' view of what the job entails. Sometimes it might seem like the most exciting job in the world, other times it can be as mundane was stacking shelves as Tescos (well maybe not quite so but you get the picture lol). A wide range of work experience is needed to see the diversity in the career. It makes the interviews easier if you have plenty of experience to talk about.

What experience have you done and when are you thinking of applying to vet school?
Reply 5
SlipperyWhenWet
The work experience I did before applying was invaluable. I did do a lot but I learnt so much from it. Esp. on the farm side of things. I had been brought up in an urban area and had rarely been close to cows, sheep and pigs. In the last yr or 2 before applying I worked on sheep, dairy and pig farms, enjoyed it so much and became so much more confident in handling and being around these animals. I learnt so much about the farming world and could talk for ages about it in my interviews.

Without work experience, you could possibly have a very 'blinkered' view of what the job entails. Sometimes it might seem like the most exciting job in the world, other times it can be as mundane was stacking shelves as Tescos (well maybe not quite so but you get the picture lol). A wide range of work experience is needed to see the diversity in the career. It makes the interviews easier if you have plenty of experience to talk about.

What experience have you done and when are you thinking of applying to vet school?

I'm limited to either Cambridge or Bristol :frown: , which are not the easiest to get into! I've got two weeks in small animal clinics, a week in cats boarding kennels, a week in large animal practice (mostly cattle, horses) and a week in the in a guidedog training kennels. Enjoyed all of it, ws surprised that large animal was so far my favourite!Really interesting, bit more varied than small animal practice aswell. I relise it's not much and Im completely missing out on any eperience with sheep.
Reply 6
Whilst its good to have some clinical experience, i can't stress enough that farm stuff etc is so much more important for entry- they teach you the clinical stuff when you're here, and you do university supported clinical work experience so that you get more from it, but you don't even start that until 3rd year, 4th year at other places- get to grips with the basics of lambing, milking, cleaning out kennels, tacking up horses first, this is what they want to see you've done.
Reply 7
Yeah but do not get to pick up this stuff on your work experience anyway?
Experience is very important and definitely worth it. You really need to gain experience in as many aspects of the profession as you can because you are going to be spending the rest of your working life doing it! Variety is the most important thing, they look to see that you have some experience in as wide a field as possible, they don't have to be for long periods of time though. Farm work is very important, your need an appreciation of what farmers do and understand what an animal's normal environment is like. Yes you do this as EMS on the course but if you have never experienced it before you may find you dislike it. Dairy is very important as most farming is dairy. I strongly recommend you spend time at an abattoir as a large part of a vet's job is public health especially in large animal practice. I spent time at a lab which was invaluable. They really look for things like that as they want more vets in research (you may not want to do research but if you have shown an interest it does count!). You will need to apply to more universities than just Bristol and Cambridge (I think it's still 4 spaces isn't it?). Accommodation is easy to find and cheap and you won't have time to miss people! I've been fine up in Glasgow 350 miles from home.

Doug
4th Year Glasgow
Reply 9
I agree, but if you take the example of the vet school in Dublin, admission is entirely based on grades, you don't need a days experience, Personally I think that's ridiculous, but all the same, the graduates at that university re at no disadvantage when they qualify to british students,
Dublin is mad the way they do it. As to whether or not work experience is that important, I think everyone here will say it is. You will be at a big disadvantage when you apply if you have only done a limit amount. I take you haven't applied this year right? Therefore if you are really serious about getting into a UK vet school - go lambing at easter, work on a dairy farm in the summer and if you can, spend a few days on a stables. And yeh a quick visit to an abattoir or a lab would help even more. Do that and you can apply to any of the vet schools. (I'm assuming you are doing the correct A Levels).

You may hear of a few lucky people who have got in with relatively little work experience, but based on my fellow class mates, that is not the norm.
Reply 11
Jaydigity
I agree, but if you take the example of the vet school in Dublin, admission is entirely based on grades, you don't need a days experience, Personally I think that's ridiculous, but all the same, the graduates at that university re at no disadvantage when they qualify to british students,

There's no way of knowing whether or not they're disadvantaged- there is also less competition for places so applicants need not bust their asses quite so much to do everything from 20 years work experience, 10 a-levels, an HGV license and grade 8 oboe!

I'm not really sure of your point Jaydigity- yes you repeat EMS in first and second year but it shows you're comitted if you don't mind doing it again. They just want to see that you will happily throw yourself into the industry enthusiastically beforehand.

Also, if you've already been on lots of placements and behaved yourself- they'll easily take you back for EMS which saves going to an unknown placement and who knows- they might even pay you second time round!

night troopers! x
Reply 12
Point taken and I agree!
i have only done 4 months work experience in a kennels and 4 monthes work experience in a cattery. I have just signed up for millenium volunteers to do 200 hours at the rspca, tried to get into a vets last summer hols, but none seemed interrested, going to try again this year. I have aslo done 5 dyas in rspca already on my school work experience, do u need to go on a farm and do u need to go in a veterinary practice.
Reply 14
chrissylouise
i have only done 4 months work experience in a kennels and 4 monthes work experience in a cattery. I have just signed up for millenium volunteers to do 200 hours at the rspca, tried to get into a vets last summer hols, but none seemed interrested, going to try again this year. I have aslo done 5 dyas in rspca already on my school work experience, do u need to go on a farm and do u need to go in a veterinary practice.

Yes definatly, rests fine but you need csttle snd horse work experience more than anything- you need to order prospectuses or go on line for every vet school and read up on what they want- don't trust what others say, do the legwork yourself!
i could also get work experince in the unicorn cnetre with the millenium volunteers but that is helping dasiabled kids more than working wiht the horeses. i htink i will be leading the horses when the children r on them or something, i couuld 100 hours at rspca and do a 100 hours at the unicorn center. That would mean me doing 25 weeks at rspca and 25 weeks at unicorn centre as i will be doing 4 hours a week.
Reply 16
chrissylouise
i could also get work experince in the unicorn cnetre with the millenium volunteers but that is helping dasiabled kids more than working wiht the horeses. i htink i will be leading the horses when the children r on them or something, i couuld 100 hours at rspca and do a 100 hours at the unicorn center. That would mean me doing 25 weeks at rspca and 25 weeks at unicorn centre as i will be doing 4 hours a week.

unicorn centre's realy good, and would probably be acceptable experience, esp if you help feed etc, i only know cos my ex-boyfriend did his there cos his sister rode there.
Reply 17
Don't forget to get some lambing in- thats pretty important and what you learn is invaluable!
i will try and get some lambing next sping then, thanks for ur advice

Latest

Trending

Trending