The Student Room Group

Career Advice

Hello all, I believe this is the right place to post this. I recently graduated with an Electronic Engineering degree but after some work experience in second year decided I didn't want to work in this sector. I graduated with a 2.1. I had been interested in economics throughout my undergraduate degree so am currently studying an MSc in Economics and Finance.

I thought this MSc would enable me to learn about economics as well as learn more about a career in finance. I achieved BBB (2 Biology, Chemistry and Maths) but resat my second year of A-levels. I have realised I would like to go into audit/accountancy. When applying for jobs earlier in the year although I passed the numeracy tests I was not invited to any interviews. Although my undergraduate degree is in a separate subject I am motivated and fully confident in the career I would like to go into and believe this comes across in my applications.

My question is, is the reason I am being turned down due to the fact I rest my second year of A-levels, because I have a different undergraduate degree or because I have no relevant work experience? I seem to be totally stuck at where to go next to get into the area I'd like to work in.

Thanks.
Thanks for your reply, a lot of the bigger companies specify no resits (so they clearly do care) on their requirements which means I do not meet the requirements, however, the middle ranking companies (which do not specify about resits) have been rejecting me too. To your second point that's why I'm doing a postgrad in Economics and Finance.
(edited 9 years ago)
Graduate schemes most say 300 UCAS points which I meet, however, I still did resit a year of A-levels. No a 1 year course it goes through all core subject (micro, macro and econometrics) and then core finance modules in a good amount of detail.
Reply 3
If you want to go into accountancy/audit, your degree doesn't matter whether its art or maths. Although if I remember clearly, one or two medium sized audit firms have a preference for business degrees but that shouldn't dissuade you from applying.

So the answer is most likely not your degree course, but work experience and extra activities to support your application. Relevant work experience is not a must. For the big four, as long as you demonstrate their competencies and values through whatever then you are fine. Same goes for medium sized firms too.

Not sure about the resits thing. Would be best to contact the firm and ask to save yourself from doing a pointless application.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why do people insist on making things up? Of course firms care about A-levels, and no, the subject of a degree is not as important as long as you achieve a 2:1.

If my memory serves right the big 4 want you to have done your A-levels over 2 years, but as mentioned above you are better off calling the firms for their resit policy.

Additionally, do you fulfil l the gcse requirements as a lot of them require BB in Eng, Maths
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
This could not be further from the truth.

If you're applying for graduate schemes you will need the minimum req. A levels. Work experience is very important, but does not need to be in the relevant field, as long as you can show that you've gained transferable soft skills.

If you don't have the min. A levels, start attending open days and networking heavily with the firms you're interested in. Otherwise, look for firms with lower/no A level requirements.
Might be interesting but one of my colleagues in a big 4 audit firm in London resat their second year of a levels and obviously got into a big 4. Would take comments above with a pinch of salt and consider other potentially weak aspects of your applications.
Reply 7
Original post by andonepostgrad
Hello all, I believe this is the right place to post this. I recently graduated with an Electronic Engineering degree but after some work experience in second year decided I didn't want to work in this sector. I graduated with a 2.1. I had been interested in economics throughout my undergraduate degree so am currently studying an MSc in Economics and Finance.

I thought this MSc would enable me to learn about economics as well as learn more about a career in finance. I achieved BBB (2 Biology, Chemistry and Maths) but resat my second year of A-levels. I have realised I would like to go into audit/accountancy. When applying for jobs earlier in the year although I passed the numeracy tests I was not invited to any interviews. Although my undergraduate degree is in a separate subject I am motivated and fully confident in the career I would like to go into and believe this comes across in my applications.

My question is, is the reason I am being turned down due to the fact I rest my second year of A-levels, because I have a different undergraduate degree or because I have no relevant work experience? I seem to be totally stuck at where to go next to get into the area I'd like to work in.

Thanks.

Did you pass the verbal reasoning/ SJT/ logic/ critical thinking tests?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending