The Student Room Group

Falling out of love with Football

Scroll to see replies

Original post by D.n.A
Who did he switch to lol. I need an English team to support, managing Serie A teams get boring on career mode

His transfer from Old Trafford to Stamford Bridge fell through at the last minute.
I kind of enjoy the evolution of a team tbh. Its not all roses like winning 3 back to back titles of course, but that's football.

I think ambition in terms of United fans is a by phrase for instant gratification. Ambition in any walk of life is the attainment of success smaller goals on the road to a large one. Ambition became a key word with Arsenal becuase their smaller goal was seemingly the same every year. For some teams their ambition this season will to be not to be relegated or not to sell their best player. Its not realistic to just say, my ambition is to win everything right now, even if the aim this year does ultimately lead up to that.
Original post by sr90
Why don't you switch teams? I'm sure Eboracum will give you some advice.

It's not really a problem with Manchester United as such. I just don't get a kick out of it anymore, I mean I still loved football last year with Moyes (just not the football we played), but this season it's just different really.

This post is for you Fizzel as well, sorry for not clarifying but it's an issue that goes bigger than my expectations of United.
Original post by KingGoonIan
You support Manchester United. You never truly loved football in the first place.

Lmao, true story
Another couple of seasons with an empty trophy cabinet at Old Trafford and up to 630 million people in the world will feel the same way as you. By contrast a lot of people in Manchester may be very happy.
Hi guys can you read above before replying please. Thanks
Reply 26
Original post by IceJJFish(II)
I agree Nathan. Hope you're well. I think this is what saddened me the most too, I heard a lot of "Arsenal lost against Stoke so it's a point gained" and now "suddenly the draw at Spurs looks good", when that's a simplistic view of things. A Van Gaal and £150 million later I expected better performances than last season, but they've just not come. Sure results have improved, but generally due to individual attacking brilliance. Give Moyes Di Maria as well and we would likely got 8-10 points more than we did. We've been **** away from home.

**** me you're even copying Ebo down to the compliments he throws into every post.
Original post by Fideo
**** me you're even copying Ebo down to the compliments he throws into every post.
I noticed that too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fideo

Thought someone may say that. Haven't seen him in a while though, hasn't he been off TSR for quite a few months?
Reply 29
Thought someone may say that. Haven't seen him in a while though, hasn't he been off TSR for quite a few months?

3 days
Reply 30
Original post by Fizzel
I kind of enjoy the evolution of a team tbh. Its not all roses like winning 3 back to back titles of course, but that's football.

I think ambition in terms of United fans is a by phrase for instant gratification. Ambition in any walk of life is the attainment of success smaller goals on the road to a large one. Ambition became a key word with Arsenal becuase their smaller goal was seemingly the same every year. For some teams their ambition this season will to be not to be relegated or not to sell their best player. Its not realistic to just say, my ambition is to win everything right now, even if the aim this year does ultimately lead up to that.

This is the attitude I think a lot of United fans have, we will celebrate getting top 4 this season however the next season we would want to be challenging for cups and so on.
It's not really a problem with Manchester United as such. I just don't get a kick out of it anymore, I mean I still loved football last year with Moyes (just not the football we played), but this season it's just different really.

This post is for you Fizzel as well, sorry for not clarifying but it's an issue that goes bigger than my expectations of United.

Maybe because of the world cup you're just bored with footy, plus could argue that the best technical players these days don't even play in PL, its such a shame that a majority of the best players in the world play in leagues with little competition, Bayern absolutely dominate their league.
This is what happens when you don't go to games. There is no real affinity for the team, in fact there can't be
Reply 32
Original post by neal95
This is what happens when you don't go to games. There is no real affinity for the team, in fact there can't be

don't be ridiculous
Reply 33
Original post by Fideo

Why u bully and victimise him m8 ?????
I take the criticisms of me and my beloved Manchester United as compliments. In the words of Oscar Wilde, there's only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that's not being talked about.

FK, You can change team if you want but I'd strongly advise against it. If there's one thing I learned under Moyes, it's that you need the rough to make the smooth feel so good. It is like a relationship. You feel let down, but then you make up. Think about the 3-0 against Liverpool this season. It felt so sweet. Perhaps more so because we lost to them last year. I learned this last season.

Also don't make rash decisions or comments. Wait 24 hours before giving an opinion on the game, you'll have calmed down and seen things in perspective by then. I learned this after the Aston Villa game this season.

And, don't put me a on a pedestal! I'm just a kid with a temper. Fizzle, Hayles and Kenan are the model United fans you want to be like.

Don't let what others say get you down. It's different supporting Manchester United to say the gentleman on the first page who supports Newcastle United. All he's ever known is mediocrity and disappointment. For us, up to last season, all we'd ever known was success and we crave more. When you get to the top you want to stay there. It's healthy to be not satisfied with third. Your ambition as a football fan matches your ambition in life, I agree with that point. But also, you have to lose sometime and experience pain and defeat (relative) to make the good feel so good. Best of luck.
Original post by Eboracum
Don't let what others say get you down. It's different supporting Manchester United to say the gentleman on the first page who supports Newcastle United. All he's ever known is mediocrity and disappointment.

:biggrin:
Reply 36
Original post by neal95

Plenty of people I know are the biggest fans of their clubs but simply can't afford to fork out to go. Don't be so ridiculous.
Original post by Eboracum

Don't let what others say get you down. It's different supporting Manchester United to say the gentleman on the first page who supports Newcastle United. All he's ever known is mediocrity and disappointment.

Well done sir you completely missed the point.

How can one truly love, when they have never lost?

In my life time my club as been relegated and promoted, has finished mid-table season after season yet it also has finished 2nd in the EPL and has competed in the UCL and beaten Barcelona at home. How can one say that they have been in love with a club that has had the same season over and over again. Effectively OP has been riding a rollercoaster that has been going in a straight line for his entire life and then as soon as it starts to go down a hill, thats it he's out. Pathetic.
Goonlan that's a top post fella.
Ebocorum and Ice are the same person confirmed.

Quick Reply

Latest