The Student Room Group

Audiology

Hello all I was just wondering about Audiology as a career and the future of it.
Is it looking bright and salary wise is it good.
Many thanks
Reply 1
Original post by moneymania999
Hello all I was just wondering about Audiology as a career and the future of it.
Many thanks

I believe there is a shortage of audiologists nationally, so should be fairly secure. However there are differences between working inside and outside of the NHS, plus changes with Clinical Commissioning Groups in the NHS mean that private providers may provide audiology services in some areas.

As for pay scales, within the NHS these are determined nationally: http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/explore-by-career/healthcare-science/careers-in-healthcare-science/careers-in-physiological-sciences/audiology/

I believe most private providers would have a basic salary plus be paid according to what they sell, as with most salespeople.
Original post by moneymania999
Many thanks

Yes audiology is looking very bright. There was 100% graduates employed in dmu. Which is fantastic. Salary wise i think its around the 30k+ in first two years however yyou get very nice perks such as cars such as bmw latest phones, food paid for sometimes even travel cost. All these factors taken out means at 30k+ its very nice for a 21+ whos just qualified.
Reply 3
Original post by CAPTAINSHAZAM
Yes audiology is looking very bright. There was 100% graduates employed in dmu. Which is fantastic. Salary wise i think its around the 30k+ in first two years however yyou get very nice perks such as cars such as bmw latest phones, food paid for sometimes even travel cost. All these factors taken out means at 30k+ its very nice for a 21+ whos just qualified.

Why would you get cars and latest phones?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ELCRE
Why would you get cars and latest phones?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because you work for a company and companies normally give company cars and phones to their employees?

The starting salary for an audiologist is just under £22,000. To earn anything like £31,000 you'd need to be a Band 7 or a very experienced Band 6, and there is no way an audiologist is going to reach that level in two years. The NHS doesn't provide cars for its audiologists and neither do any of the private healthcare providers I've ever worked in. You might get a work phone if your job requires you to travel between bases, but otherwise health professionals just have a landline like everyone else. Even the senior doctors where I work carry hospital pagers - they don't get 'the latest phone'. Food in a hospital canteen is usually subsidised for staff, but we don't get our meals free either.
Original post by opalescent
The starting salary for an audiologist is just under £22,000. To earn anything like £31,000 you'd need to be a Band 7 or a very experienced Band 6, and there is no way an audiologist is going to reach that level in two years. The NHS doesn't provide cars for its audiologists and neither do any of the private healthcare providers I've ever worked in. You might get a work phone if your job requires you to travel between bases, but otherwise health professionals just have a landline like everyone else. Even the senior doctors where I work carry hospital pagers - they don't get 'the latest phone'. Food in a hospital canteen is usually subsidised for staff, but we don't get our meals free either.

I meant within a few years ive spoken to people and know people in the private sector on and around the 30k wage at 24 ish.
And again theyve been given company perk even health insurance dental treatment etc dont know why its come as such a shock or surprise. I wasnt referring to NHS giving cars lol and if you even look at companies advertising for jobs for audiology they even list cars and phones as a perk to the job
I meant within a few years ive spoken to people and know people in the private sector on and around the 30k wage at 24 ish.
And again theyve been given company perk even health insurance dental treatment etc dont know why its come as such a shock or surprise. I wasnt referring to NHS giving cars lol and if you even look at companies advertising for jobs for audiology they even list cars and phones as a perk to the job

It seems from your post history that you're still at school? I don't mean to sound harsh to you, but the OP should have accurate info. I've been working in healthcare since I graduated from my first degree, and while there is relatively good job security for allied health professionals and the salary isn't bad, what you're saying isn't accurate. The starting salary is just under £22,000, as I said, and that tends to be the same in the private sector as well as the NHS. (The vast majority of audiologists are employed by the NHS though.)

Out of curiosity I looked at the ads you mention and they are for sales managers for audiology equipment companies, not actual clinicians. Some private healthcare companies, including one of the ones I worked for, offered health insurance (but you still had to pay into it, albeit at a discounted rate, and it only covered certain things). But even private audiologists really aren't offered BMWs or latest phones. I don't think provision of this stuff is a good indicator of whether a profession is thriving or not anyway. If the OP is interested in hearing and would like a job in healthcare, then audiology is stable, in demand, and doesn't pay badly.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
I've got searches set up on NHS jobs to help me monitor job prospects. There are usually roughly 40 audiology jobs advertised nationally at any one time. That is very low indeed compared to many other AHPs.
Reply 9
Original post by MrsEvs
I've got searches set up on NHS jobs to help me monitor job prospects. There are usually roughly 40 audiology jobs advertised nationally at any one time. That is very low indeed compared to many other AHPs.

It is a much smaller world than other health professions like physiotherapy, occupational therapy, etc. There are fewer people qualifying, fewer places at uni and fewer jobs. I guess it's a bit more niche. From what I've seen of students qualifying recently, they generally seem to get jobs pretty easily. And bear in mind that there are jobs in the private sector as well as the NHS.

As a mature student, I kept an eye on where my local audiology departments are to make sure I could work locally after qualifying. I also talked to staff in the departments to get a feel for the number of job vacancies and number of applicants there before applying to uni. There are no guarantees but I'm feeling confident that there will still be more vacancies than people applying for them when I graduate in 2 years.
Reply 10
Original post by ayeeel
It is a much smaller world than other health professions like physiotherapy, occupational therapy, etc. There are fewer people qualifying, fewer places at uni and fewer jobs. I guess it's a bit more niche. From what I've seen of students qualifying recently, they generally seem to get jobs pretty easily. And bear in mind that there are jobs in the private sector as well as the NHS.

As a mature student, I kept an eye on where my local audiology departments are to make sure I could work locally after qualifying. I also talked to staff in the departments to get a feel for the number of job vacancies and number of applicants there before applying to uni. There are no guarantees but I'm feeling confident that there will still be more vacancies than people applying for them when I graduate in 2 years.

Thanks. I'm actually about to start working PT in a band 3 post with potential for funded training up to band 5 but as the portfolio route isn't yet accredited I'm nervous. I'll be making a decision between on the job training in audiology or a radiography degree over the coming months.
Reply 11
Original post by MrsEvs
Thanks. I'm actually about to start working PT in a band 3 post with potential for funded training up to band 5 but as the portfolio route isn't yet accredited I'm nervous. I'll be making a decision between on the job training in audiology or a radiography degree over the coming months.

I didn't realise you could do audiology training on the job - interesting. I hope it goes well, whichever you decide to do. Hope you will keep us posted.
Reply 12
I've just graduated from Aston with a degree in Audiology and have gained a place on the STP to do Audiology. Whilst I was applying for this I was also applying for other jobs as a fail safe both within the private and public sector and there were plenty of jobs available all around the country and even abroad of you are willing to travel
Reply 13
That's good, Mayeclv, and congratulations on your new job. I'm still a bit undecided as I have children and my husband has a long-term job where we live, so I'm a bit restricted. I haven't started my post yet but I'm so looking forward to doing so to get a clear idea of where to go.
Reply 14
Original post by MrsEvs
That's good, Mayeclv, and congratulations on your new job. I'm still a bit undecided as I have children and my husband has a long-term job where we live, so I'm a bit restricted. I haven't started my post yet but I'm so looking forward to doing so to get a clear idea of where to go.

Thank you. What might work for you is looking to join an agency for some locum audiology work. Thy can find both private and public sector work

Quick Reply

Latest