The Student Room Group

Black Toenail - how to get rid of?

I run a lot, and part of one of my big toes has turned black and very cracked. It doesn't hurt at all but it looks quite bad.

How do I remove this? What is causing the problem?
It's bruised and it'll fall off eventually. You may have to trim some of it to stop it catching.
Reply 2
Original post by OU Student
It's bruised and it'll fall off eventually. You may have to trim some of it to stop it catching.

Should I trim it all off now? Will blood come out? :eek:
Original post by Anonymous
Should I trim it all off now? Will blood come out? :eek:

Trim as much as you can now. I don't remember any blood actually coming out.

Some nutters (and I had to do this eventually) do just pull the toenail off, which hurts a lot! By the time I did that, which was weeks later, the nail was dead anyway.
Reply 4
Trim as much as you can now. I don't remember any blood actually coming out.

Some nutters (and I had to do this eventually) do just pull the toenail off, which hurts a lot! By the time I did that, which was weeks later, the nail was dead anyway.

OK thanks :smile: Are you sure that will be safe though? It's all on the right side of my left big toe and it goes down pretty much to the bottom of the toe. I don't know how far down the blood supply is though

That sounds horrible, defo not seeing doctor then :eek2:
OK thanks :smile: Are you sure that will be safe though? It's all on the right side of my left big toe and it goes down pretty much to the bottom of the toe. I don't know how far down the blood supply is though

That sounds horrible, defo not seeing doctor then :eek2:

You need to be careful how much you pull off. I was lucky that mine was just some right at the top.

And tape it up! I didn't and was getting dressed one morning. I nearly screamed because I caught part of my nail on my jeans.:frown:
Reply 6
You need to be careful how much you pull off. I was lucky that mine was just some right at the top.

And tape it up! I didn't and was getting dressed one morning. I nearly screamed because I caught part of my nail on my jeans.:frown:

So I should pull it and not trim it with a nail cutter? :smile:

That's horrible :eek: :hugs: Yep, I got my nail caught in my prom dress ages ago, had heels on too :nope:
So I should pull it and not trim it with a nail cutter? :smile:

That's horrible :eek: :hugs: Yep, I got my nail caught in my prom dress ages ago, had heels on too :nope:

I'd trim it personally. Much cleaner that way.
My brother has this but it's been like that for ages and he's been to a gp but it's still black...:confused:
Reply 9
Original post by MissLalaxx
My brother has this but it's been like that for ages and he's been to a gp but it's still black...:confused:

What did the GP say?
What did the GP say?

He said it was a fungal infection and he got a cream for it but nothing has changed.
Mine was more of a purple colour rather than actually being black. And it did start to pull away; so I knew it was dead rather than it being infected.

Quick Reply

Latest