The Student Room Group

Graduated, but still have no future.

I'm fed up of applying for graduate jobs. I apply for so many a week, i've had a decent amount of interviews but i never get the job (usually to do with taking someone who has more experience). I can not continue working in retail, the general public are just ****ing stupid. They act as if their brain falls out of their arse as they leave the house in the morning. I'm thinking of just writing off to companies off of my own back as well as just appling to job adverts.

Please tell me i'm not the only one out there !

Scroll to see replies

What did you study, if I may ask?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Your not the only one! I feel the same about working in retail! And I havent even graduated yet!
Reply 3
Original post by DannyAbba
What did you study, if I may ask?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Art/Humanities based subject. Im wary about posting it as it usually ends up in a discussion of sciences vs. arts, which i'm not interested in having/reading.
Reply 4
Original post by MelaMelaMela
Your not the only one! I feel the same about working in retail! And I havent even graduated yet!

It gets worse once you graduate ! because you know you're not fulfilling your potential.
Original post by GPH92
Art/Humanities based subject. Im wary about posting it as it usually ends up in a discussion of sciences vs. arts, which i'm not interested in having/reading.

Well you said it's arts so it makes no difference if you specify the actual subject now.

Understand about the retail thing. First year at uni but I've been back working over Christmas in my old job, drives you insane.
One of my closest friends is also in this position, it's very difficult for me to watch her go through pretty much what you just described.

Try to isolate the reason you're losing out on jobs beyond just "lack of experience" as a first step, and see how you can remedy it. Good luck.
Original post by GPH92
I'm fed up of applying for graduate jobs. I apply for so many a week, i've had a decent amount of interviews but i never get the job (usually to do with taking someone who has more experience). I can not continue working in retail, the general public are just ****ing stupid. They act as if their brain falls out of their arse as they leave the house in the morning. I'm thinking of just writing off to companies off of my own back as well as just appling to job adverts.

Unfortunately it's often a numbers game, if an employer gets 10 people who could do the job (which I'm sure you could) they can still only take one. You just have to wait until it's your turn. Getting interviews is a positive sign. But in the meantime make sure your application and interview technique are as sharp as possible. The most important things are:

a) Tailor your application as closely as possible to what the advert is asking for. Pick out the key words they're using and make sure you throw them back at them. Yes it can be hard when you're applying to so many jobs but little things like mentioning the company name, using the terminology they used, mentioning why you want to work for that company, can make all the difference.
And b) come across as friendly and confident at interview. We'd all like to think it's what you say at interview that matters, not how chirpy you are, but unfortunately the simple thought "I like him/her" is a very powerful influence in an interview situation. I became so much more successful at interviews when I decided to act super chirpy (I am not a naturally chirpy person). This is especially important if you lack experience because the employer will use your demeanour to decide whether you're somebody they would be willing to spend a lot of time 'developing' (unfair but true).

Good luck and I'm sure you'll get there eventually.
Well that is what happens when you don't gain the needed experience while studying. The only thing you can do is keep applying.
Reply 9
Original post by DiddyDec
Well that is what happens when you don't gain the needed experience while studying. The only thing you can do is keep applying.

I have over 12 months of unpaid work experience in my related field.
I graduated in July, managed to find a 'proper' job but I got made redundant in November. There's virtually nothing going at this time of year so it's incredibly depressing being stuck in my house with nothing to do, usually on my own, being constantly paranoid that my rent/council tax/bills won't go out of my account. I'm too nervous to even check my bank balance.

Looking through job websites and seeing nothing but the same ****ty recruitment/sales jobs every day is incredibly demoralizing, everything else is temporary, zero hours or minimum wage and the few jobs that actually do look appealing have some extravagant requirement that I don't meet. I could get a retail job with no trouble, but I really don't want to do that sort of job again.

I have an outstanding CV that most graduates would kill for but i just feel like a complete failure. I'm running out of motivation to even get out of bed in the morning and have a shower never mind do anything else. Can't see any future for myself at all and it feels ****ing horrible seeing everyone else I know in love, off on a fancy holiday, in a well paid job whilst i'm doing nothing.
Reply 11
Original post by sr90
I graduated in July, managed to find a 'proper' job but I got made redundant in November. There's virtually nothing going at this time of year so it's incredibly depressing being stuck in my house with nothing to do, usually on my own, being constantly paranoid that my rent/council tax/bills won't go out of my account. I'm too nervous to even check my bank balance.

Looking through job websites and seeing nothing but the same ****ty recruitment/sales jobs every day is incredibly demoralizing, everything else is temporary, zero hours or minimum wage and the few jobs that actually do look appealing have some extravagant requirement that I don't meet. I could get a retail job with no trouble, but I really don't want to do that sort of job again.

I have an outstanding CV that most graduates would kill for but i just feel like a complete failure. I'm running out of motivation to even get out of bed in the morning and have a shower never mind do anything else. Can't see any future for myself at all and it feels ****ing horrible seeing everyone else I know in love, off on a fancy holiday, in a well paid job whilst i'm doing nothing.

I know what you mean about those recruitment jobs, but why don't you give it a go? It doesn't have to be a long term thing, you can always leave when you find something better.
Original post by GPH92

Hey I completely share your point of view/situation, although I'm still at university. I graduate in May and to be honest I am petrified!

I too, work in what I would call 'menial work', in which I hate my boss, my work colleagues and totally disagree with the company ethos. I've been there for 8 long years of employment, for which started out as a part time job once I left school at 16, and now has turned into a 'easy come easy go' sort of temp come part time employment for me.

When I first started I enjoyed it, since I was young, new and naive to the working world. Then I became rather sick of it, and bored of the mundane repetitive nature of the dreadous minimum wage slog.

Furthermore, the environment is like a toxic spill, full of two faced, half-wit bitter idiots and the more clued up youthful members that see the job as just 'stop gap'. The former are either middle aged or elderly individuals that have settled into the job, or didn't fulfil much of what they wanted to do in their lives, or are just not very ambitious people- living a simpletons life.

The latter are sort of Young sixth formers that think they know a thing or two, but of course they are just arrogant and pretentious and 'know a thing or two- about "nothing".

The other minority would be such people as yourself for whom seem to be stuck in this zone of being unfortunate enough to have ended up in such a job due to graduate unemployment or lack of satisfactory opportunity.

However, there are probably more people in your "zone" than in others. The thing you have to remember is that, you are not going to be there the rest of your life. For the moment it is temporary and you are there to earn a crust. This is one way I try and learn to pacify my anger and bitterness in my job situation.

I understand your frustration completely, and to be honest some days I just pray and hope for the day I will be able to stick my middle finger up at my boss because I hate how she has changed the company since the last boss. But sometimes it's better to take a step back and think, she's the person I need to obtain refs from in future.

Sooner or later your luck shall change and you will be able to move up in your employment and onto better things.

I often find many people are out to outperform you or try and overpower you, especially as a graduate in a minimum wage environment. People may feel threatened by your agenda and desire for better things, but you sort of have to empathise with individuals.

I think you should apply to a graduate scheme or maybe try to get experience through volunteering?
Reply 13
Original post by moutonfou

Good luck and I'm sure you'll get there eventually.

Thanks for your help !

I deffinatley think i should be updating my CV with most of my applications, as making it sound like its perfect for me. But it becomes so time consuming, but i guess its worth it. Usually I act chirpy and really position and upbeat, and usual theres a laugh and a nice time involved (I've only had one really negative and bad interview). I suppose i should just do what i can to improve my chances, like contacting them directly and tailoring myself to them more.
What jobs you going for, and what experience do you have?
Original post by GPH92
Thanks for your help !

I deffinatley think i should be updating my CV with most of my applications, as making it sound like its perfect for me. But it becomes so time consuming, but i guess its worth it. Usually I act chirpy and really position and upbeat, and usual theres a laugh and a nice time involved (I've only had one really negative and bad interview). I suppose i should just do what i can to improve my chances, like contacting them directly and tailoring myself to them more.

I'm not qualified to speak about this, but going by your grammar, perhaps this is the reason why you're being rejected? Improve your grammar and maybe how you talk too.
Original post by GPH92
I have over 12 months of unpaid work experience in my related field.

Did you volunteer for the 12 months? Can I ask what you did?
Reply 17
Original post by hellodave5
What jobs you going for, and what experience do you have?

12+ months unpaid and all relevant. Graduate schemes, entry level jobs, jobs i feel would be willing to take a graduate (got through to the last interview stage with a world renowned company, with people who have 5years+ experience). Literally anything that comes up in my search and i feel is related and my CV fits, i'll apply.
Reply 18
Original post by Back Pain
I'm not qualified to speak about this, but going by your grammar, perhaps this is the reason why you're being rejected? Improve your grammar and maybe how you talk too.

My CV and coverletter has been checked already, but its something to bare in mind
Reply 19
Original post by royal1990
Did you volunteer for the 12 months? Can I ask what you did?

Yeah basically. I was basically working in a role i would be doing in a graduate scheme or an entry-level position, but i suppose with not so much responsibility and less pressure, as i was obviously there to learn, as well as work.

Quick Reply

Latest