The Student Room Group

GCSE results for good/russle group unis?

So in in year 12 and just beggining to look a unis I'd like to study chemistry or physics I haven't decided yet I am getting As and Bs in every test Ive don't this year however my gcse results weren't very good as I am dyslexic and missed a lot of school last year becaus of anxiety I got:

physics A
chemistry A
biology A
maths B
geography B
english C
history E
drama F

do I have a chance with these gcse results and which russle group unis don't care much abut GCSE results?
Reply 1
You have to put your GCSE results on your UCAS form but your offer always just comes down to your A Level results (as long as you've passed maths and English at GCSE). I'd concentrate on your a level results but it sounds like you're doing pretty well :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ScienceWhoMusic
So in in year 12 and just beggining to look a unis I'd like to study chemistry or physics I haven't decided yet I am getting As and Bs in every test Ive don't this year however my gcse results weren't very good as I am dyslexic and missed a lot of school last year becaus of anxiety I got:

physics A
chemistry A
biology A
maths B
geography B
english C
history E
drama F

do I have a chance with these gcse results and which russle group unis don't care much abut GCSE results?

Most, if not all Russell Group Universities, require a minimum of a Grade B in GCSE English and Maths. Other than that, not much emphasis is put on other GCSE grades, given you meet the other entry requirements such as AS grades and A Level Predictions.

Good Luck!
Original post by Sheraz Imran
Most, if not all Russell Group Universities, require a minimum of a Grade B in GCSE English and Maths. Other than that, not much emphasis is put on other GCSE grades, given you meet the other entry requirements such as AS grades and A Level Predictions.

Good Luck!

I have locked at a few and a lot do say c in English and some have changed there's this year although some do say b or a
I have locked at a few and a lot do say c in English and some have changed there's this year although some do say b or a

That's Great! Mind you, I would still apply to the ones that ask for a B, there's always a chance they could make an exception, especially if you explain your cirumstances :smile:

All the Best!

physics A
chemistry A
biology A
maths B
geography B
english C
history E
drama F

you have every chance of getting into a good university. your science grades are fantastic. you need your referee to mention your dyslexia as this may help as an extenuating circumstance. some unis require b for English but given your dyslexia may forego that. you would need to check the individual entry requirements for each uni. I would not get hung up about the Russell group. there are many very good unis who are not in the rg including bath st Andrews and lancaster

Good Luck!

Hey, do you happen to know whether a student achieving an A in language but a C in literature would suffice?
As one, the more recognised and important is above the required B grade. But the other is below.

physics A
chemistry A
biology A
maths B
geography B
english C
history E
drama F

bath Cardiff leeds Nottingham and sheffield all require c in gcse English for chemistry
Original post by Economistician
Hey, do you happen to know whether a student achieving an A in language but a C in literature would suffice?
As one, the more recognised and important is above the required B grade. But the other is below.

As long as you satisfy the "English Language" Entry Requirements which you have, you should be perfectly fine. An A will more than suffice, English Literature doesn't hold much significance in this regard.

physics A
chemistry A
biology A
maths B
geography B
english C
history E
drama F

Birmingham Bristol durham Exeter and ucl require c in English gcse as I think do warwick for physics
As long as you satisfy the "English Language" Entry Requirements which you have, you should be perfectly fine. An A will more than suffice, English Literature doesn't hold much significance in this regard.

Thanks.
PS. Dont get obsessed with the idea of Russell Group. It doesn't tell you anything abut that Uni or that course. Russell Group was devised after the Polys were given University status and the older Unis were running scared of the competition. Its a Vice Chancellors club - nothing else.

Schools/teachers have this dotty idea that anything RG is fantastic - which is actually utter rubbish. Any Uni will be 'good' at some subjects and not at others - and many of the ex-Polys are better than any RG Uni especially for more vocational subjects like nursing, engineering, sciences and IT. Despite what school-leavers think, most mainstream employers havnt a clue what RG is or what a League Table is, and they certainly dont use this as any sort of benchmark for choosing employees.

Go and look at a variety of different Unis. You will need at least 1 course choice where the grades are substantially lower so that you have an obvious Insurance choice that you would still be happy to go to. So sneering at Unis that you think are 'inferior' is a very silly attitude as a) you may end up at one and b) it may be the best Uni for your subject.

Go to some Open Days - you'll be surprised. Often non-RG Unis (because they don't focus on research as much) have better, more recently built, facilities for undergraduates - accommodation, sports, social, transport etc as well as teaching facilities. Dont make any judgements until you have actually seen an RG Uni and a non-RG Uni yourself!
(edited 9 years ago)
there are many non rg unis better than some rg unis st Andrews bath Lancaster east Anglia surrey Leicester Loughborough are all in that category. durham Exeter and York have been rg unis less than 3 years
I think for some unis and courses your personal statement and references are as important as your GCSE's, especially if you have strong AS Levels/Predicted A2 Grades (apologies if the system has changed, it's been a while since my A Levels). I'd say the best option is to contact the admissions tutor and see what they say for your course at each uni :smile:
Original post by Nesselphie
contact the admissions tutor and see what they say for your course at each uni

Please don't do this.

We are busy enough at this time of year without inane emails from 17 year olds to answer.

All the info you need is on the University's website - the exact grade/subject requirements, and frequently also info about what else they are looking for can worked out from the way the course description etc is worded.

There are no 'secrets' that an email to a very busy academic is going to illicit to you, and only you.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by sydneybridge
Please don't do this.

We are busy enough at this time of year without inane emails from 17 year olds to answer.

All the info you need is on the University's website - the exact grade/subject requirements, and frequently also info about what else they are looking for can worked out from the way the course description etc is worded.

There are no 'secrets' that an email to a very busy academic is going to illicit to you, and only you.

Fair enough, but when I was applying to Uni, I was invited to email admissions tutors with any questions I had and it helped me realise where I wanted to go. I know lots of people who have done this. Obviously it depends on the University, but some welcome contact from prospective applicants, especially if somebody doesn't have the grades. It will save the tutor (and student) more time later-on.

Just my two-cents based on my experience and that of my friends :smile:
I would personally ask the Unis that you are interested in going to - for instance Reading ask that for computer science you should have maths at grade b - but on phoning phoning admissions they would accept physics at b instead if you didn't have math at b.

physics A
chemistry A
biology A
maths B
geography B
english C
history E
drama F

I got BCCCCCCDD for my GCSEs and made it to a Russel group. You'll be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending