The Student Room Group

Why do women spend so much time on their clothes/make up instead of going to the gym?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sweetiebabe
What's wrong with those women?

Original post by tinkerbell_xxx
There is nothing wrong with those women :confused:

they are the epitome of a skinnyfat sloppy physique, the fact you think they have a good physique just further proves my point on how low the bar is set for females to have a good body
Original post by Greg Jackson
they are the epitome of a skinnyfat sloppy physique, the fact you think they have a good physique just further proves my point on how low the bar is set for females to have a good body

Okay, so here's hoping that you have a 6 pack!

It's not about how low the bar is set though. It is different preferences and everyone has different ones. Personally I would prefer to look like those women rather than be very slim or muscular.

Just because you don't like their body type, doesn't mean everyone else thinks like you.
lol agreed, brb spends hundreds of pounds on makeup, clothes heels etc while still being fat or skinnyfat, brb the bar for a woman to have a good body is set so disgustingly low all they need to do is not eat like a whale, brb not a single squat was done that day, brb skinnyfat mediocre physiques paraded in the mainstream as good bodies

typical non lifting female:

horrendous lol

tbf most guys I know who don't lift would prefer a girl like that to someone who looked like this:

Also, some guys find girls exercising/eating properly a turn off if they themselves are more laidback. Or say stuff like "you dont even need to lift"

It's not about how low the bar is set though. It is different preferences and everyone has different ones. Personally I would prefer to look like those women rather than be very slim or muscular.

Just because you don't like their body type, doesn't mean everyone else thinks like you.
Mate have you ever thought about the fact they are not doing it for male attention?

They do it because they enjoy it....
Its just the way people are nowadays, lots of people have small motivation to go to the gym.
We just have to accept it. Be fit and athletic ourselves, instead of judging others. Maybe one day you'll be in a relationship with a skinny fat girl, and one day she will become athletic too after seeing your fitness.
lol its just us.It is like asking why do boys spend so much time playing football, instead of doing something else?!!!
Reply 28
Because I don't care about what guys care about. I would never change for a guy.
Reply 29
lol agreed, brb spends hundreds of pounds on makeup, clothes heels etc while still being fat or skinnyfat, brb the bar for a woman to have a good body is set so disgustingly low all they need to do is not eat like a whale, brb not a single squat was done that day, brb skinnyfat mediocre physiques paraded in the mainstream as good bodies

typical non lifting female:

horrendous lol

How serious are you being, OP? It seems as though you wanted to spark a little bit of outrage. Let's think about it though. The average man does not look like perfection. How can you expect the average woman to be?

I think our main concern should be to encourage people (both men and women) to live healthy lifestyles. That means eating a balanced diet, that means doing regular exercise. That also means eating less salt, not smoking, drinking less, it means loads of lifestyle choices.

What it doesn't necessarily mean is going to the gym, and/or doing regular squats. What it doesn't mean is feeling like you need to have plumper, rounder buttocks, or larger biceps or shoulders. People can want these things if they want to, and if they think these things will help attract someone (perhaps someone like you), they can do that. But I think it's a really bad idea to put people like this down because they aren't well toned, and therefore don't meet your standards. What's more important is maintaining a healthy lifestyle - it's not necessarily about satisfying your taste in women. And if their BMIs are an indicator of health, I don't think they have a great deal to worry about on that front (there's more to health than BMI, just making a point).
Reply 30
Original post by HAnwar
Because I don't care about what guys care about. I would never change for a guy.

I doubt that. Although I understand your point.

out of interest, would you change after your parents' advice? Or anybody else's? I think it depends on the change.
Original post by Antifazian
Yeah because everything we do should be done with the consideration of what guys think about it.

Yawn.

Male opinions are not at the centre of my universe.

shots fired

OK, can I ask why you (as in, straight women who do this) put loads of effort into clothes and make-up, you know stuff which apparently makes you look pretty...if looking pretty does not matter because as you say 'male opinions are not the centre of my universe'. Do you just like the taste of lipstick? Do you like to peacock? :s-smilie:

I mean if a guy was all 'I'm going to wear this hilarious teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Tee and jogging bottoms today because I don't care what women think', he just gets labelled grubby even if he's good looking-wasteman if he's not. Goes well past ugly into implying he has no ambitions in life. Whereas you put a suit on and then the ladies are like '**** this guy is going places'

idek
Original post by Sweetiebabe
Maybe because girls want to feel confident for themselves and not for guys?! And they might feel more confident by what they look like with wearing make-up rather than what they would like after going to the gym.

Besides, squats can be done at home, no gym is needed for that!

yeah but why do you have to look pretty to feel confident? When men make a product and say 'hey ladies, wear this and I'll think you're pretty' you cannot then wear it and say 'idgaf what you men think'

is the same as girl saying 'get a suit then I'll date you' and guy then wearing suit saying 'I didn't do this for you'

See Makeup and Feminism thread
Reply 33
Original post by Pride
I doubt that. Although I understand your point.

out of interest, would you change after your parents' advice? Or anybody else's? I think it depends on the change.

Why do you doubt that?

I wouldn't change my appearance for anybody.
Reply 34
Original post by HAnwar
Why do you doubt that?

I wouldn't change my appearance for anybody.

Well you said you would never change for anybody, which is an incredibly bold statement for anybody to say.

You've now attempted to qualify what you said by saying you specifically wouldn't change your appearance for anybody. I think that's also quite unlikely. I think most people are influenced by others to a certain extent. Sure some are more influenced than others. I think the influence of a romantic partner can be complex and not obvious. But I particularly think it's most likely to be there in some form. Especially when love is involved in that relationship, and a respect of that person's opinion. People at least consider what their partner thinks. Even if they really like their style and wouldn't want to change it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Thread clearly designed to provoke women in to getting angry.

I would actually turn this around and say a lot of guys spend a lot of time on the gym and neglect the fact that they dress like dorks and generally portray the image of a chav.

I don't knock guys for keeping fit and I think its something you should do and the sacrifice and discipline is a good habit to get in to. But a classy and attractive guy kind of keeps his good body under good clothes: if you want to be popular with women you are better learning how to get a good dress sense (ie timeless style not just following the Topman herd), being well groomed, smelling good and if you have a good physique under that it will always look good.

The problem I see with a lot of guys is they go to the gym but then they spoil it by projecting a completely stupid image that makes them look like jokes rather than real men. You can tell these types because they will have a good body but a stupid haircut and their facebook will be full of selfies taken in a mirror with their tops off.
Original post by KandisKane
lol its just us.It is like asking why do boys spend so much time playing football, instead of doing something else?!!!

That is a terrible example. It costs nothing to play, it is good for your health, it increases social cohesion and therefore improves mental health. All in all it is pretty good you.
Reply 37
Original post by Pride
Well you said you would never change for anybody, which is an incredibly bold statement for anybody to say.

You've now attempted to qualify what you said by saying you specifically wouldn't change your appearance for anybody. I think that's also quite unlikely. I think most people are influenced by others to a certain extent. Sure some are more influenced than others. I think the influence of a romantic partner can be complex and not obvious. But I particularly think it's most likely to be there in some form. Especially when love is involved in that relationship, and a respect of that person's opinion. People at least consider what their partner thinks. Even if they really like their style and wouldn't want to change it.

I meant from the beginning I wouldn't change specifically my appearance for anybody. If I have bad habits or something, then that's different and I would try and cut down on them. But if my partner said to me to go to the gym, because he doesn't like the way I look, or tells me to wear make up or not to wear it, then I wouldn't listen. If he says 'wear this, it looks nice' and if I like it, I'll wear it. I do what I'm comfortable with and not with what someone else is. I'm a very stubborn person as well lol
Original post by DiddyDec
That is a terrible example. It costs nothing to play, it is good for your health, it increases social cohesion and therefore improves mental health. All in all it is pretty good you.

you're a ****
Reply 39
Original post by HAnwar
I meant from the beginning I wouldn't change specifically my appearance for anybody. If I have bad habits or something, then that's different and I would try and cut down on them. But if my partner said to me to go to the gym, because he doesn't like the way I look, or tells me to wear make up or not to wear it, then I wouldn't listen. If he says 'wear this, it looks nice' and if I like it, I'll wear it. I do what I'm comfortable with and not with what someone else is. I'm a very stubborn person as well lol

Sure, I think a lot of people would say this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending