The Student Room Group

Why do women spend so much time on their clothes/make up instead of going to the gym?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fideo
Well a skinny-fat woman will still have boobs whereas a skinny-fat man has absolutely nothing to his body, no definition or muscle whatsoever.

I'm a leg-guy so maybe that says it all lol XD
Original post by TorpidPhil
I'm a leg-guy so maybe that says it all lol XD

rate me/10

Original post by Morrisseya
rate me/10

There's actually a picture of that guy with his shorts pulled up higher and his quads are absolutely huge, but yeah his calves in this pic, his poor calves :smile:

And I meant leg-guy as in good looking legs > big boobs, but w/e.
That's the point! Yet many women would be utterly content looking like that yet they would be un-content with their men looking like that.

I agree. The expectation on women and girls is that they not be fat. Many girls do go to the gym etc, but it's just not part of our culture for girls to be athletic as opposed to skinny - many equate 'skinny' with 'healthy'.

I can't condemn people for caring about looks more than health - both genders do that - but there is a massive weight-shaped gap in the tradition of female well-being. There's no physiological reason why women shouldn't lift weights (and none of these 2kg dumbells).

However, I don't think the problem is individual women being intrinsically selfish or hypocritical - I think most just genuinely don't realise it is a double standard, or that weight-lifting won't make them massive. Somehow we need to make the expectation that women be athletic and healthy (as opposed to skinny-fat) a normal part of society.

We can start by getting rid of the massive industry behind 'women's weight loss' - diets, 'toning' etc. Unfortunately this will never happen, because it generates lots of money. The best alternatives are to set up a counter-industry (girls' magazines that focus on sports etc), and to vastly improve physical education in schools.

I apologise for the rant. :redface:
Original post by Octohedral
I agree. The expectation on women and girls is that they not be fat. Many girls do go to the gym etc, but it's just not part of our culture for girls to be athletic as opposed to skinny - many equate 'skinny' with 'healthy'.

I can't condemn people for caring about looks more than health - both genders do that - but there is a massive weight-shaped gap in the tradition of female well-being. There's no physiological reason why women shouldn't lift weights (and none of these 2kg dumbells).

However, I don't think the problem is individual women being intrinsically selfish or hypocritical - I think most just genuinely don't realise it is a double standard, or that weight-lifting won't make them massive. Somehow we need to make the expectation that women be athletic and healthy (as opposed to skinny-fat) a normal part of society.

We can start by getting rid of the massive industry behind 'women's weight loss' - diets, 'toning' etc. Unfortunately this will never happen, because it generates lots of money. The best alternatives are to set up a counter-industry (girls' magazines that focus on sports etc), and to vastly improve physical education in schools.

I apologise for the rant. :redface:

I agree with everything :smile:
There's actually a picture of that guy with his shorts pulled up higher and his quads are absolutely huge, but yeah his calves in this pic, his poor calves :smile:

And I meant leg-guy as in good looking legs > big boobs, but w/e.

dem calves need feeding :colone:

watchu talking bout? dat chest is huge
Original post by tinkerbell_xxx
But that is a low standard for you. Not every woman needs to be perfectly slim and toned. If they are happy how they are then good for them. (providing they are healthy enough)

Well that would be a high standard for me if I was only going to go out with somebody who was better looking (body-wise) than the women posted earlier, but I didn't say that, I'de settle for worse, I'm just saying that a woman shouldn't think she has a "good" body if she looks like those women who were posted earlier. They'de have an average body.

Yes, this is health related. Personally people who look healthy just look the best to me. Those bodies didn't look particularly healthy to me so they don't look particularly attractive to me.
Well that would be a high standard for me if I was only going to go out with somebody who was better looking (body-wise) than the women posted earlier, but I didn't say that, I'de settle for worse, I'm just saying that a woman shouldn't think she has a "good" body if she looks like those women who were posted earlier. They'de have an average body.

Yes, this is health related. Personally people who look healthy just look the best to me. Those bodies didn't look particularly healthy to me so they don't look particularly attractive to me.

Some women are self conscious enough about their bodies without having to hear/read stuff like that. If you prefer healthier bodies then that is your choice but please don't say a women shouldn't feel like she has a good body if she looks like those girls in the picture.
Some women are self conscious enough about their bodies without having to hear/read stuff like that. If you prefer healthier bodies then that is your choice but please don't say a women shouldn't feel like she has a good body if she looks like those girls in the picture.

Why not? I will not tolerate people deluded themselves into thinking they have a perfect body when their body is unhealthy and is going to result in them dying sooner and putting an additional burden on the economy just so that they can be content with their lazy selves.

It's as bad as the fools who just "assume there must be a God" out of nothing so that they don't actually have the answer the important meta-physical questions that we still must. It's the easy way out of a tough scenario but realistically in the long run it provides no benefit. Why should I be expected to tolerate that?

I'll still help a woman get a better, healthier, body if she wants to and I'll still help the theist who wants to better understand how the world works. But why should I be expected to be happy with them settling for less than they are capable?
(edited 9 years ago)

Boo Hoo.

I disagree with what he is saying but that does not mean he cannot say it.

My looks is something that I know I am good in. I have looked at a 1,000 mirrors in every angle imagineable. I have measured my face, my nose - width ratio etc... I have studied what makes people attractive.
Why not? I will not tolerate people deluded themselves into thinking they have a perfect body when their body is unhealthy and is going to result in them dying sooner and putting an additional burden on the economy just so that they can be content with their lazy selves.

It's as bad as the fools who just "assume there must be a God" out of nothing so that they don't actually have the answer the important meta-physical questions that we still must. It's the easy way out of a tough scenario but realistically in the long run it provides no benefit. Why should I be expected to tolerate that?

I never said that they think they have the perfect body, because again, we all have different images of the perfect body. I'm just saying that if they are happy with themselves and how they are, who are you to tell them they aren't good and only average?
If they want to get healthier then it should be their choice.

About your edit: when you say why should you be happy for them, are you talking about all women?

Original post by DiddyDec
Boo Hoo.

I disagree with what he is saying but that does not mean he cannot say it.

I know he can say it but I just don't think it is a good place to say it seeing as younger girls might see it and think they suddenly aren't good enough if they were already happy with themselves.
(edited 9 years ago)

My looks is something that I know I am good in. I have looked at a 1,000 mirrors in every angle imagineable. I have measured my face, my nose - width ratio etc... I have studied what makes people attractive.

Get a life.
Original post by tupper_ware
Get a life.

It's a meme :rofl: :rofl:
It's a meme :rofl: :rofl:

Well thank god, clearly I'm not well versed in meme culture.
Original post by tupper_ware
Well thank god, clearly I'm not well versed in meme culture.

Not as funny if people recognise it tbf :tongue:
I know he can say it but I just don't think it is a good place to say it seeing as younger girls might see it and think they suddenly aren't good enough if they were already happy with themselves.

If they are that impressionable they shouldn't be using the internet.

I read it on the internet so it must be true.
Original post by Fideo
They don't exactly have good bodies do they

Erm, why not?
Reply 98
Original post by Sweetiebabe
Erm, why not?

saggy, not particularly curvy, one on the right is getting a muffin top
Original post by Fideo
saggy, not particularly curvy, one on the right is getting a muffin top

Oh gosh, I hope your body is perfect then.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending