The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No. Your body will think it's starving and will desperately cling onto fat. Plus you'll be so hungry that you'll end up binging on food after about 2 days.

Stick with a diet high in vegetables and fruit and moderate to high in protein, and try to stick to around 1500-2000 calories a day, deoending on your size and activity level.
Reply 2
there's no way it works 'cause your body doesn't burn fat. there's like an inbuilt thing so that if you have to do a famine you don't die as easily. best way to do it is a bit of exercise and eat healthier
Reply 3
Not eating is definitely not a good idea, as it will cause your body to lose muscle.
Reply 4
Basically no this will never work
Reply 5
Bad idea. As people have said...if you don't eat for a few days a week your body will go into starvation mode. Your metabolism will slow by up to half which will mean that calories are used up more slowly by the body and you'll actually make it harder for yourself to lose weight.

The reason the dieting advice is always the same is because the ONLY way to lose weight is to eat a balanced diet and exercise. You don't by any means have to stick to a really restrictive diet and never eat treats. This doesn't work because within a week you get sick of it. Just do simple things like always use margerine, not butter. Drink semi skimmed or skimmed milk. Limit the amount of treats you eat.

The best things to do are start walking or biking everywhere and to find a form of exercise you enjoy and do it 2 or 3 times a week. I do dance classes and swim regularly. Both things I enjoy doing so it doesn't seem like a chore. I've always hated the gym so unless that is something you actually like don't bother joining cos you'll only give it up.
no, as people have already said, if you stop eating for a few days your body will need food and store it when it finally get some.

eat regular meals, cut out 'bad' snacks... if you need a snack, eat some grapes or an apple or something and try and have the 5 portions of fruit & veg a day - or at least one or 2.

meat and some veg is healthy!
rosetinted
always use margerine, not butter

why?

rosetinted
if you don't eat for a few days a week your body will go into starvation mode. Your metabolism will slow by up to half

source for this size of drop, in this timeframe?

Azzle
there's no way it works 'cause your body doesn't burn fat.

it does, and always will

Guffy
you'll be so hungry that you'll end up binging on food after about 2 days.

thats why you'll probably fail.
haha. when i had to get into a dress that was a one size too small in a short period of time i had 1 bowl of soup every 2 days for 8 days. it worked (also did gym). mind you most of the weight loss would have been water. but even though it is best to have at least 3 balanced meals a day. 2 a day for a long period of time is possible.
Reply 9
Anonymous
haha. when i had to get into a dress that was a one size too small in a short period of time i had 1 bowl of soup every 2 days for 8 days.

How did you have the energy to go to the gym? If I was eating that little, I wouldn't have the energy to stand.
A model died of a heart attack i think it was because she was starving herself for a few days before the Milan fashion show and that's why the Milan fashion show had the models have a healthy BMI. so go ahead and kill yourself.do you know what starving yourself does yo your body??? plus when you do start eating,your body will think it's one of those periods where there's abundant food just before a drought,and you'll just put on more weight and pass your weight before you stupidly didn't eat anything. do it the healthy way or not at all.
dont know really, but i can easily go 2 days without food while being active/ going to the gym. I only eat when Im hungry, food always tastes better then and i often go days without feeling hungry. But there are plenty of people who are very skinny who need to eat often to prevent themselves from fainting. Its all interesting stuff.
Anonymous
haha. when i had to get into a dress that was a one size too small in a short period of time i had 1 bowl of soup every 2 days for 8 days. it worked (also did gym). mind you most of the weight loss would have been water. but even though it is best to have at least 3 balanced meals a day. 2 a day for a long period of time is possible.

That was a smart idea. Not.
Reply 13
I get hungry if I go like 2 hours without eating, it's crazy.
rock_eleven
why?

source for this size of drop, in this timeframe?

it does, and always will

thats why you'll probably fail.

Sorry what?! Why margarine? It has fewer calories, and if I'm mistken then use a low fat butter substitute ie. flora.

Source for the drop in time? We don't need sources for everything we say because many things are very widely acknowledged by professionals and therefore widely accepted by the informed public.

The body will always burn fat yes, but I'm sure you knew that what was meant was that the body will preferentially burn muscle when in famine mode, thus fat loss is reduced and muscle loss is increased.
the body works fundamentally the same way,just people either have a faster or slower metabollism. it sickens me that people would actually think/advice anyone to lose weight this way or in anyway that is harmful to the body..anyways in the future when you complain about a liver problem or something,just remember it was when you starved yourself,and you implied you didn't really care about the consequences.
Yes but that sounds like the beginning of an eating disorder to me.
well you'll become less bloated and maybe look a bit smaller if you do it for a few days but you will binge when your stop starving yourself. it'll never work.
just do not do it!
squigaletta
Source for the drop in time? We don't need sources for everything we say because many things are very widely acknowledged by professionals and therefore widely accepted by the informed public.

if it is widely acknowledged there should be plenty of sources for that information then. I don't care how many people have read the back of their cheerio's pack and parrotted some meaningless health advice from it to their friends. As it stands, I propose that you pulled your "24 hrs, metabolism/2" out of thin-air, with nothing to back it up. Got references?

squigaletta

The body will always burn fat yes, but I'm sure you knew that what was meant was that the body will preferentially burn muscle when in famine mode, thus fat loss is reduced and muscle loss is increased.

urgh, what is this ****ing "famine mode" or "starvation mode", the deleterious metabolic condition one supposedly enters upon eating less :rolleyes:

Can you disambiguate "famine mode", perhaps? When might it arise, after how long with how little food?

When you say that muscle is preferentially burnt (over fat), what do you mean? More energy is derived from muscle than from fat?
rock_eleven

urgh, what is this ****ing "famine mode" or "starvation mode", the deleterious metabolic condition one supposedly enters upon eating less :rolleyes:

Can you disambiguate "famine mode", perhaps? When might it arise, after how long with how little food?

When you say that muscle is preferentially burnt (over fat), what do you mean? More energy is derived from muscle than from fat?

if you did biology,you'd know that after a period of not eating,anything from a few hours (in some cases) to a few days/weeks,the body goes into a drought/famine mode,where it tries to save as much energy as it can by using up the muscle,proteins etc before using up the fat in the body to provide energy.If you did biology and chemistry,you would know that fat which is a carboxylic acid,has more C-H links than all other sources of energy in the body (proteins or carbohydrates) and so fat gives off more energy than the rest,and since the body thinks it's in drought mode,it'll burn off all the rest first,and the muscle will be preferentially broken down before fat.

Latest

Trending

Trending