The Student Room Group

Old Higher Modern Studies - 2014 to 2015

I didn't see a thread so I decided to make one so we could discuss key points.

Scroll to see replies

I'm going to fail. We're doing China. :frown:
Reply 2
Original post by studynotime
I'm going to fail. We're doing China. :frown:

I have never understood why the SQA put stupid time limits on the Modern Studies exams. They want you to write an essay in 22.5 minutes which is awful. I think Paper 1 should be 2 hours and Paper 2 also 2 hours.
The time is far beyond reach sometimes.
Original post by Higherdude
I have never understood why the SQA put stupid time limits on the Modern Studies exams. They want you to write an essay in 22.5 minutes which is awful. I think Paper 1 should be 2 hours and Paper 2 also 2 hours.

Definitely! I mean, 4 essays in an hour and a half is not happening for me haha! Which topics are you doing?
Reply 4

Okay so I'm doing Advanced Higher after crashing Higher and getting an A. I wouldn't let time limits get to you at all. The key thing is to figure out what can come up as questions and memorise your layout/stats as best as you can. If you've memorised and revised enough then 22.5 minutes is plenty time trust me!
So for example when I was making my flashcards for the Health and Wealth unit I made 2 sets: one for the welfare state continues to meet its aims (looking at health and unemployment)
I made one for inequality (looking at race and gender) and that was me completely covered for that unit!
If you figure out what can be asked and make flashcards just for those areas you're mostly covered!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Also paper 2 is a great way to gain your marks up to compensate for essays which may have not gone your way! Learning to read and interpret the data is the best way to go because even if you only know maybe 10 good stats for health and 10 for wealth that's enough to boost to an A, if you've used the sources too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Does anyone have any good facts on obesity in the UK?
Reply 7
Original post by SasaM97
Okay so I'm doing Advanced Higher after crashing Higher and getting an A. I wouldn't let time limits get to you at all. The key thing is to figure out what can come up as questions and memorise your layout/stats as best as you can. If you've memorised and revised enough then 22.5 minutes is plenty time trust me!
So for example when I was making my flashcards for the Health and Wealth unit I made 2 sets: one for the welfare state continues to meet its aims (looking at health and unemployment)
I made one for inequality (looking at race and gender) and that was me completely covered for that unit!
If you figure out what can be asked and make flashcards just for those areas you're mostly covered!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I passed my prelim at least :P
Got a C. Thanks for the tips :smile:

β€’

1 in 4 people in the Uk are now considered obese

β€’

The Uk is the fattest country in Europe and the second fattest country in the world behind the USA, where 1 in 3 people are obese

β€’

Around 1 in 5 children ages 10-11 are overweight or obese

β€’

In 1993 13% of men and 16% of women were obese – in 2011 this rose to 24% for men and 26% for women

β€’

[size="3"]In 2011, 53% of obese men and 44% of obese women were found to have high blood pressure.

β€’

​During 2011-12 there were 11,736 hospital admissions due to obesity – this over 11 times higher than during 2001-02.

I did old higher last year and got an A- let me know if you have any questions, I'll be happy to answer them! :smile:
Anyone got facts on pressure groups?
Original post by rachelmoyes

β€’

1 in 4 people in the Uk are now considered obese

β€’

[SIZE
=3]The Uk is the fattest country in Europe and the second fattest country in the world behind the USA, where 1 in 3 people are obese

[*]Around 1 in 5 children ages 10-11 are overweight or obese

[*]In 1993 13% of men and 16% of women were obese – in 2011 this rose to 24% for men and 26% for women
[*]In 2011, 53% of obese men and 44% of obese women were found to have high blood pressure.
[*]​During 2011-12 there were 11,736 hospital admissions due to obesity – this over 11 times higher than during 2001-02.

Thanks.
Tax the fat was a perfect report :wink:
I bet you did it to Rachel.
(edited 9 years ago)

heard on the radio there was an "inactivity epidemic" amongst teenagers - you could link this to obesity being on the rise.
Currently doing essay " β€˜Social Class is no longer the greatest influence on votingbehaviour in the UK.’ Discuss. "
Trying to do my paragraph about media and have talked about newspapers, does anyone have any good examples for internet?
Original post by rachelbowden
Currently doing essay " β€˜Social Class is no longer the greatest influence on votingbehaviour in the UK.’ Discuss. "
Trying to do my paragraph about media and have talked about newspapers, does anyone have any good examples for internet?

Pwgat about social media like facebook and Twitter as many parties or m&s have a social media page to connect to voter ?
Reply 15
does anyone know how to write a decent introduction for a American Dream essay?
Reply 16
Does anyone have any useful wealth background knowledge? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, does anyone have any background knowledge for a gender based DME?

Growth of social media, such as twitter, where politicians and media outlets broadcast information regarding their campaigns. Also, the media, such as BBC, supply most people with the information they receive about elections and parties, allowing them to make judgements on which party to vote for based on this

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=13985-general-election-2015-student-poll

If you were going to write about age or geography, you could use this actually.

This shows that for the current general election, most students are more likely to vote labour. You could also comment on how in the north, less students vote the tories, compare to how less students vote labour in the south. (Evidence that a north/south divide exists to a small extent).

Quick Reply