The Student Room Group

Old Higher Modern Studies - 2014 to 2015

Scroll to see replies

Here you go hope this helps
Does anyone have up to date examples for USA checks and balances essay
can someone please help me and send me a model answer or essay for: Health and Wealth: individual Lifestyle choices affecting health.

I was off for this and have no idea what to do, and people are predicting this is going to come up so help would be much appreciated. Thank you.
Hey guys do you think there is point on focusing on Immigration for USA - considering it came up few times now ? My teacher said that it wont be likely and he thinks its going to be checks and balances or American Dream ( so all of you are right hahah :biggrin: )
But I am not sure whether to bother and look over it in much detail ?

Original post by rachelbowden

I think I have a print out somewhere in my modern folder Ill have a look tomorrow ! :smile:
Maybe bit late Im working all day -_-
Original post by guzz6

I think I have a print out somewhere in my modern folder Ill have a look tomorrow ! :smile:
Maybe bit late Im working all day -_-

thank you :smile:
Reply 45
What does everyone think will come up?

I'm doing he questions A4, B5/B6, C9 and C11.

My guesses are-
A4- Voter behaviour
B5/B6- Income's influence on health/Governments role in health and wealth provision (Individualism vs collectivism)
C9- To what extent do inequalities still exist in USA. (but my teacher thinks it will be how congress acts as an effective check on the president)
C11- Education and health are the most important factors when tackling underdevelopment in SS Africa

Tbh have no idea though.. the SQA are so unpredictable -_-
Reply 46

Budget- In 2013 the US gov came to standstill for 2 weeks when House of Representatives (HoR) rejected the budget.
President Executive Orders- Obama issued tighter gun control laws in 2013 after Newtown Primary shootings, guns used in a crime needed to be tracked back to place of purchase.
Veto- In early 2015 Obama vetoed a bill which would have approved the construction of the 'Keystone XL Pipeline'.

Sorry don't really have anymore up to date examples.
Hope it helped :smile:
(My teacher thinks this question will come up this year)
thank you :smile:

Hey so I dont have much stats either ! I just have examples of what he can do and he cant rather than data facts ....
We've been given these articles though ! Hopefully they'll help :smile: ImageUploadedByStudent Room1432405668.771911.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1432405679.694722.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1432405690.207128.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1432405699.743289.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 48
Has anyone got essays for checks and balances or government polices to reduce social and economic inequalities USA?
Reply 49
See for the new higher, does that mean that topics that have recently turned up, such as last year, can turn up again this year?
Reply 50
With new higher theres no way of knowing what they will do!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 51
What are the founding principles of the Welfare State? My teacher told us that we should talk about how it was supposed to be universal, comprehensive, equal, and collectivist, however resources I see have them as being to combat Want, Ignorance, Squalor, Disease and Squalor? Are both valid approaches for essays on this or is it just one?
Old Higher here. Does anyone think any Electoral system questions may pop up? My teacher has predicted the essay q's for this year, and he seems to get them right almost every year. But i cant put my trust into him as it's the last year of the old higher which means the SQA might pull a couple of tricks out their sleeves, i.e. that awful old higher (and new) maths paper. Any help, will be much appreciated. Thank you.
does anyone have an essay on the link between wealth and health??
Reply 54
Original post by BB00
Old Higher here. Does anyone think any Electoral system questions may pop up? My teacher has predicted the essay q's for this year, and he seems to get them right almost every year. But i cant put my trust into him as it's the last year of the old higher which means the SQA might pull a couple of tricks out their sleeves, i.e. that awful old higher (and new) maths paper. Any help, will be much appreciated. Thank you.

I don't think it's very likely, as it would be odd for them to ask a question on electoral systems for three years in a row. They also probably want candidates to show some knowledge of the 2015 GE, and there's a better opportunity for this in voting behaviour essays as the General Election is solely FPTP. Just out of curiosity, what were your teacher's predictions?
Original post by Topo15
I don't think it's very likely, as it would be odd for them to ask a question on electoral systems for three years in a row. They also probably want candidates to show some knowledge of the 2015 GE, and there's a better opportunity for this in voting behaviour essays as the General Election is solely FPTP. Just out of curiosity, what were your teacher's predictions?

Yeah, it would be odd if they did. His predictions were;
A)Voting behaviour
Local councils
B)Poverty and Influences on Health
C)America: Social and economic Inequalities( although other teachers believe its on checks and balances)
Reply 56
Original post by BB00
Yeah, it would be odd if they did. His predictions were;
A)Voting behaviour
Local councils
B)Poverty and Influences on Health
C)America: Social and economic Inequalities( although other teachers believe its on checks and balances)

Yeah, what I thought it would be on. I'm doing China though so I don't really know about the council one.
Reply 57
Original post by Topo15
Yeah, what I thought it would be on. I'm doing China though so I don't really know about the council one.

What are your predictions for the China question?
Reply 58
Original post by FLS
What are your predictions for the China question?

China can be unpredictable, but I am hoping for something political-related. The last two years have been economy related so I think it's likely. If I had to guess it would concern the extent to which political opposition to the CCP existed.
Original post by Ed2015
I know Modern Studies is still a while way.. but anyone got any essays or essay plans they could please send me for the following questions...
Critically examine the view that lifestyle choices are the main factor preventing good health.

To what extent do ethnic minorites achieve the American Dream?

Assess the effectiveness of government polices to reduce social and economic inequalities in the USA.

Critcally examine the view that the government, not individuals should be responsible for healthcare and welfare provision.

Thanks in advance! :smile:

I have attached an essay on lifestyle choice which got 15 :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending