The Student Room Group

What was your favourite decade for music?

Poll

What is your favourite decade for music?

I was just wondering if you had to pick a favourite decade for music what would it be?

Now you may have a favourite period that goes over two different decades e.g. 75-85, but if you had to pick one decade from which you could listen to music to only, what would it be?

We're halfway through this decade (2010s) so although its clearly not finished yet I'm going to include it anyway since 5 years is still a significant amount of time and it can be judged now.

How does this decade (2010s) compare to music from previous decades anyway so far? Particularly its pop music?

Scroll to see replies

80s, though I'm glad I grew up in the 90s.
I would prefer the music from the "noughties" (up to 2005 at least), then I discovered superior tunes of the mid 90s.

A lot of older people would share the view that pop music of the present is "trash" but then when they were younger and enjoyed the music back then, their older counterparts called that music "trash" as well.
This. Pretty good metal coming out as well as good renditions of the romanticist movement.
70s.
Reply 5
Baroque music is the best music by far. So, that'd be 17/18th century.
Out of this list it would be the 50s on account of Shostakovich's 10th Symphony.
The 90s was when the hip-hop/rap game was the best.
Probably 90s. That had the highest density of music I'm viscerally awesomed out by.

Difficult to choose between 80s and 90s, but I guess having grown up in the 90s it has the added nostalgia factor.
(edited 9 years ago)
90s for me. Best for rock and alternative rock and also the emergence of S Club 7. 80s weren't half bad either.
Reply 10
70s
Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Yes, Kraftwerk, Alice Cooper, Van Der Graaf Generator, the best records of the Who, Tangerine Dream, ELP, Stooges, King Crimson... :cool:
Reply 11
90s. I wish I was a teenager back then :cry:
Original post by Josb
70s
Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Yes, Kraftwerk, Alice Cooper, Van Der Graaf Generator, the best records of the Who, Tangerine Dream, ELP, Stooges, King Crimson... :cool:

Basically got the same taste in music as you.

You mean ELO here?
Reply 13
Original post by Wilfred Little
Basically got the same taste in music as you.

You mean ELO here?

Emerson, Lake & Palmer :biggrin:

[video="youtube;TQQdYokbp4E"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQQdYokbp4E[/video]
80s hands down though I grew up in the 90s.
Original post by Josb
Emerson, Lake & Palmer :biggrin:

Ah, thought you meant Electric Light Orchestra.
Probs 90s
I'll have to say the 70's. Some of the greatest prog rock bands were out and about making magic. :smile: There was so much innovation and talent in the likes of Led Zeppelin, King Crimson, Wishbone Ash, Pink Floyd, Yes, Fleetwood Mac etc.
Original post by Josb
70s

No Pink Floyd?

40's/50's I love me some jazz :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest