The Student Room Group
law991
And I was just wondering, what reading list would you recommend?

You mean introductory book for the law?
Reply 2
Yes but keep in mind I am still in year 11 and haven't even started my A-level.
The list of subjects was just extra information.
Reply 3
Tip for A-level:
Contact your college/sixthform and ask for a reading list or perhaps the course books for your subject. Getting a head start really helps. (Especially for English where you have a few books to ead for a level).

Also, get on university websites and find a reading list.
Well I wouldn't advise getting any books (even introductory) on specific areas of the law e.g. criminal law yet.
I would start off with 'Learning the law' by Glanville Williams. Most people read it before submitting their university application form.
I think that it would be particularly good for you because it tells you about how law is studied at university and has a few chapters on introductory material relating to the English Legal System such as concepts like Precedent, Statutory interpretation, the importance of case-law and some introductory stuff on European law.
It will definitely be a worthwhile investment and its a good time to buy it because a new edition has just recently come out.
Reply 5
Also I'm pretty weak at Government and Polictics.
What would you recommend for me to do to fortify me on this subject?
law991
Also I'm pretty weak at Government and Polictics.
What would you recommend for me to do to fortify me on this subject?

Cannot help you personally on that one as I have never studied the subject. If I remember correctly that paper was the one in which LuverlyLawyer got full marks in two of the papers, PM her to ask what reading she did. :wink:
Can't remember anyone else who has studied that subject. :rolleyes: :confused:
Reply 7
Law991, it's amazing that you're taking such an interest in your A-levels, it really is. However the best thing you can do is concentrate on GCSEs and cross the bridge of A-levels when you get there. A-levels are designed to teach you from scratch when you get there and they will tell you what reading you need to do or at least give you a clear idea of what criterea you should look for with reading. If you are determined to read ahead though I would recommend reading at leisure any book which interests you and is loosely based on the subject like novels etc.
Reply 8
Root
Law991, it's amazing that you're taking such an interest in your A-levels, it really is. However the best thing you can do is concentrate on GCSEs and cross the bridge of A-levels when you get there. A-levels are designed to teach you from scratch when you get there and they will tell you what reading you need to do or at least give you a clear idea of what criterea you should look for with reading. If you are determined to read ahead though I would recommend reading at leisure any book which interests you and is loosely based on the subject like novels etc.

(Blush at the compliment)
Thanks Root.
Any recommendations for any good novels? (or anyone who isn't Root).
Reply 9
I would definately go for reading novels as they will help you develop a reading style and if you want one that is politically influened then perhaps "Brave New World" (google for the author) which is an amazing story about slavery, English Lit. also tends to do Shakespeare so you could try reading one of his plays-again go for one which sounds interesting but bear in mind, reading Shakespeare at first on your own is hard. For law, I wouldn't try to read any intro. books because being honest with you law A-Level is pants easy, I got an A and could have done more work. What is more useful is to read The Times esp. the Law Journal on a tuesday but even better is www.timesonline.co.uk/law which keeps you up to date with the latest legal gossip! Also keep track of what's happening in the news and form opinions of it by evaluating it in your mind. Little things like that always help!

Root xx
Reply 10
Root
I would definately go for reading novels as they will help you develop a reading style and if you want one that is politically influened then perhaps "Brave New World" (google for the author) which is an amazing story about slavery, English Lit. also tends to do Shakespeare so you could try reading one of his plays-again go for one which sounds interesting but bear in mind, reading Shakespeare at first on your own is hard. For law, I wouldn't try to read any intro. books because being honest with you law A-Level is pants easy, I got an A and could have done more work. What is more useful is to read The Times esp. the Law Journal on a tuesday but even better is www.timesonline.co.uk/law which keeps you up to date with the latest legal gossip! Also keep track of what's happening in the news and form opinions of it by evaluating. Little things like that always help!

Root xx

Thanks for all the advice!
What subjects did you take for A-Level?
And what did you read for them?

Law X
Reply 11
Religious studies, chemistry and law. Didn't read much extra for chem. except for this website for revision. Law I basically used this A-Level law website from St.Brendens college, web pages we needed to research at the time and what the teacher gave us! It's pretty doable if you develop a writing style (which I think takes time) and learn to be selective with what you do and don't need to know. For RS I read loads!!! I'm studying law at degree level now and RS was the most useful A-Level because it taught me how to write clearly and concisely with a balanced view point and with taking in and applying loads of concepts.
Reply 12
Root
Religious studies, chemistry and law. Didn't read much extra for chem. except for this website for revision. Law I basically used this A-Level law website from St.Brendens college, web pages we needed to research at the time and what the teacher gave us! It's pretty doable if you develop a writing style (which I think takes time) and learn to be selective with what you do and don't need to know. For RS I read loads!!! I'm studying law at degree level now and RS was the most useful A-Level because it taught me how to write clearly and concisely with a balanced view point and with taking in and applying loads of concepts.

Do you suppose I should take Religious Studies?
Reply 13
law991
Do you suppose I should take Religious Studies?

I would recommend it to anyone but I'm slightly biased:rolleyes:. For me RS was amazing, hard but totally worth it! Only do it if you're interested in learning about religion and philosophy. I would look into which RS course is open to you (they vary quite a lot) and whether it interests you.
Reply 14
I am a very philosophical person at most parts of my every day life, not that religious though, however, I am very open minded and I will take in alternative views of morality and religion.

(Aside from that) Now that you mention it, RS does sound tempting, but I will already be taking 4 A-levels, won't I be overwhelmed with 5?
Reply 15
law991
I am a very philosophical person at most parts of my every day life, not that religious though, however, I am very open minded and I will take in alternative views of morality and religion.

(Aside from that) Now that you mention it, RS does sound tempting, but I will already be taking 4 A-levels, won't I be overwhelmed with 5?

Yes, you probably would be! Bear in mind different people studying law will give you different opinons on what to study and obviously mine is RS! English Literature and History would defo. help you, after that my opinion is you choose subjects which purely interest you and won't bore you for two years!
Reply 16
LOL.
Thanks for the great advice.
Glad I talked to you.
(Yawn)

Night.

X

[email protected] There is an underslash between killer and katus, NOT A SPACE!

*End of Thread* (you may still continue the thread, just some dumb thing I feel like doing and not deleting)

Latest

Trending

Trending