The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

True true. But when you get awards that proove it , then they take notice :wink:

But i agree, as long as you do the work thats needed, such as tutorials and the like, its not going to make a difference.

It just requires a lot of self discipline!
Reply 21
well if you really want to go for the double starred firsts :smile: buy the thickest books and eat and sleep with it and hope the stuff sinks in. What course are you doing btw?

And people that appear to do no work - they usually do

Wangers
Reply 22
Why bother living if you don't have a life?
dude with all due respect to the scholars out there, but being book smart only gets you so far in life, you need to live, make mistakes and learn from them, by isolating yourself like that, all your achieveing is learning how to be square to fit a square hole, whereas going out, forming relationships, playing sports your learning creativity, adaptability and flexibility, LIFE SKILLS, so for your own 'inner calm' learn to balance work and life or you'll set yourself up for a major fall
go to LSE, ive heard theyre all like that there
Reply 25
Why exactly did you neg me alkaeda, for that youtube link? Go and try to get a ray of sunshine put into your life lmao
Reply 26
I watched that video! Cracked me up!

Weird Al, if I'm not mistaken? Not one of his I'm familiar with, but definitely his style!
Reply 27
Cheers edu but this guys rep was worth -19. lol :/

Yeah it's weird AL, great artist.
Reply 28
ouch.
Reply 29
I pos repped you, but then realised that I only have a power of +4... oh well, -15 is still better than -19!
Reply 30
katrin_tara
I pos repped you, but then realised that I only have a power of +4... oh well, -15 is still better than -19!

haha + mine however much it was that i gave, something pitiful no doubt Ive always recieved the same amount of -ve and +ve reps so ive never really gone anywhere haha
Reply 31
Thanks for the rep guys, does help. :smile:

Edu, you've still got a power of 0 but it'll go up in time. Not long ago I had 0 rep power.
Reply 32
A) Why does anybody care about reps anyway, and B) how do you even know what your rep power is, and how much you gain or lose from each person?
Reply 33
<3 in that case im gona go rep more people :wink:
Reply 34
Those bums only allow you one per day? I want a refund.
Reply 35
lol yeah once a day.

You need to pay to be a Sub to see your rep power. 3.50 a month.
Reply 36
is it coz I is latino :\
Reply 37
(lol... last night I went out... that was the last time... I promise)

Balance is a very relative word.
Balance between what? Between what others want me to do and what I want to do? Or between my own needs?
If it was between my own needs, wouldn't becoming a "nerd" (not the stereotype nerd obviously... I simply mean full appreciation of my objectives, and "incorporation") be the best solution for balance?

Aren't you overcategorizing/stereotyping "Work" and "Fun"?
I don't know many other nerds, but what if they are actually enjoying their lives as they have it?
Why should the definition of "social life" be limited to clubbing and partying?

Flank Runner, maybe I didn't express myself correctly. I didn't say "book-smart". I said that I want to "specialize" in my field.
I'm studying Economics and would aim at working in non-profit/NGO. I already do lot of voluntary work, was elected class representative and to the student board after just a few weeks at university (I'm not in the U.K. by the way), and am in the management team of MUN-style stuff... but I consider all these to be part of my immediate studies.
They actually help me to be involved in what I study and associate my studies with fun rather than with the stress of hard work.

But hanging around 5-6 hours every night dancing and drinking, being led to random romances here and there, useless jealousies, etc. - which I did so far since university started - sometimes makes me feel distant from my goal of giving my best at the exams...
Reply 38
Anonymous
wouldn't becoming a "nerd" (not the stereotype nerd obviously... I simply mean full appreciation of my objectives, and "incorporation") be the best solution for balance?

Aren't you overcategorizing/stereotyping "Work" and "Fun"?
I don't know many other nerds, but what if they are actually enjoying their lives as they have it?

I love how you talk about other people stereotyping and say you're not going to talk about the stereotypical nerd, and then go on to do exactly that: talking about "nerds" as if there's a fixed definition of nerd, and then going on to ask "what if they are actually enjoying their lives as they have it?" as if it is a possibility only barely considered, and as if it seems almost unfeasible that they could be enjoying their lives in such a way.
Reply 39
Well for me, I can never chose. I have a "partying side" and a " nerd side". Most of the time I want to go out and go partying and wasting my life awa y because you only live once. But then evrey so often, I have the urge to do really well and get down to the books and really love my learning. I could never "become" one or the other. I HAVE to have balance, that's how I work. You could try being a nerd for a few months and see how you like it. You don't have to label youself something straight away.

Latest

Trending

Trending