The Student Room Group

HELP!! Too poor for full tuition/ to rich for financial aid for US university

I have wanted to study in the US for a long time. I have prepared myself SAT prep, E.C's, community service, general good grades. After discussing my plans with my parents, they stated they didn't really want to pay more than they would to send me to a UK uni (10000>). So I applied to the Sutton Trust and started looking at merit scholarships. Unfortunately, I don't think the ST would even consider my application and probably throw it away at seeing my household income. All the scholarships for the universities I'd realistically get into, are crazy competitive. e.g USC's international scholarships. The only universities that are under 10000 are not exactly prestigious or academically challenging (for me) e.g University of Oregon. I was thinking about doing a undergraduate degree in the UK, then a graduate degree in the US but I hear they are highly competitive, and even more expensive than an undergraduate's degree would be. If anyone has any advice it would be muchly appreciated as I honestly don't really know what to do in the future. :frown:
Please excuse typo in the title
(edited 9 years ago)
A lot of universities in the US offer scholarships or financial help based on academic prowess so it would be worth looking on the financial aid page of universities because a lot of them will offer a payment during the second semester. Also I wouldn't place too much on what counts as a prestigious university, I would concentrate on what you want to achieve academically and personally through your studying experience and read lots of reviews from past and current students.

In terms of places being competitive, things work slightly different in the US. Over here in the UK you would apply for the best uni you could get into eg. if there was a possibility you could get into Oxford you would apply. But in the US it is actually better to go for a university where you would be an extremely desirable candidate especially if you are wanting financial help.

I'm looking into doing my masters in the US so things may be slightly different for an undergraduate degree but that's the best advice I've been given so far. Hope it helps!
Reply 2
Original post by angel2015
I was thinking about doing a undergraduate degree in the UK, then a graduate degree in the US but I hear they are highly competitive, and even more expensive than an undergraduate's degree would be.

That depends on the graduate degree.

Professional programs (law, medicine, divinity, nursing, business, etc.) sometimes provide merit scholarships and/or financial aid, but nevertheless they are frequently quite expensive, and many students graduate moderately or heavily in debt. Of course, some of these careers can lead to a pretty comfortable salary.

PhD programs are usually at least partially funded and are frequently fully funded (tuition + fees, health insurance, living stipend). At worst you'll probably break even with your expenses and funding, and some PhD students actually make enough to place a small amount in savings each year.

MA/MS programs are a mixed bag. Some programs fully fund all or the best of their students. Others require everyone to pay full freight.

It's relatively common for American students interested in academia or research to go straight from the BA/BS to PhD programs. A MA/MS is usually pretty useless unless one plans to use it as a stepping stone to a good PhD program.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
they stated they didn't really want to pay more than they would to send me to a UK uni (10000>).

I doubt you'd be able to go to uni here for just £10k... with fees at £9k, you'd need more for accommodation, food, going out, books, etc. Work out how much it would really cost to your parents and see if you might be able to raise that to perhaps £15k... that's around $23k which is more to work with in the US.

There are a few threads on college confidential (which is like a US TSR but more geared towards university admissions over there) and it has a few threads on automatic scholarships and low cost options. Granted, you'd have to do your research (contacting colleges/looking at websites) to find out whether these scholarships apply to you, are places you'd want to go to uni and whether they have the majors you're interested in etc etc.

Here's a thread about low cost options (<$25k)

Here's a thread about automatic scholarships based on grades and test scores.

The only universities that are under 10000 are not exactly prestigious or academically challenging (for me) e.g University of Oregon.

I wouldn't be quick to make that assumption- UO is a flagship research university and has the oldest honor's college in the US- it's highly competitive.

Also, be sure when you look at costs you're not looking at in-state tuition- you're looking for out-of-state or international costs.

Hope this helps.
Reply 4
I was in literally the exact same situation last year: not knowing what I actually wanted to do at uni (hence, why the US seemed better suited to me at the time), parents not wanting to pay too much etc. I applied to ST - didn't get in, obviously - and then researched scholarships etc. and after some thinking I chose to just focus on my UK application in the end (at the small expense of the £85 I'd paid for SAT :P) . I definitely do not regret this decision.
The reality is that the best US universities are very expensive and those of us stuck "in the middle" (i.e. not poor or rich enough) will always get the short end of the stick. If your heart is set on studying at the best in the US for around £10K (you might need some flexibility here), maybe give some of those scholarships a shot. However, I can't stress enough how impressive the applications have to be e.g. for USC/Duke, Robertson scholarships. Still, you never know until you try and all that :P
Alternatively if you'd just like the US experience, I would look into some courses at UK universities that offer year abroad programmes. This will also look good on your CV.
If you are considering US postgraduate, I'd say that may give you more time to build a strong application and source some funding. Hope that helps :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Have you thought about places that are needs blind for internationals? How is your SAT prep going?
I have wanted to study in the US for a long time. I have prepared myself SAT prep, E.C's, community service, general good grades. After discussing my plans with my parents, they stated they didn't really want to pay more than they would to send me to a UK uni (10000>). So I applied to the Sutton Trust and started looking at merit scholarships. Unfortunately, I don't think the ST would even consider my application and probably throw it away at seeing my household income. All the scholarships for the universities I'd realistically get into, are crazy competitive. e.g USC's international scholarships. The only universities that are under 10000 are not exactly prestigious or academically challenging (for me) e.g University of Oregon. I was thinking about doing a undergraduate degree in the UK, then a graduate degree in the US but I hear they are highly competitive, and even more expensive than an undergraduate's degree would be. If anyone has any advice it would be muchly appreciated as I honestly don't really know what to do in the future. :frown:

There is more funding for graduate degrees that BA because:

Less people do them.
There is some level of research involved.
It shows you are dedicated to your subject.
You are less likely to drop out.
You are likely to be a merit to the organisation/person sponsoring you.
Less residency/nationality restrictions.

Unless you plan to do medicine or law, I'd say doing your masters in the US is pretty good too!
Reply 7
Also bare in mind it doesn't just cost £9000 for a UK uni - there's living expenses etc, so is often more like £16000
Reply 8
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound snobby, I'm sure UofO is a good university. I'm just trying to get my head around the way american unis work compared to UK (where it's basically just about going to the highest uni on the league table with the grades you've got, well it feels like that anyway). I feel it's too late to make a decent application for a US uni. I've been looking at UK unis with courses abroad. In an ideal world, I'd go to uni here and then go to 'law school' in the US and never come back haha. I personally am not to fond of the UK uni experience in comparison to the US. It is really that difficult to get into a law school? I know I'll be swamped in debt after uni anyway. Or should I just try to make the move across the pond after uni (I'm aware it's v difficult w/ visas etc)? It's a shame as I love law and it would be my ideal profession but I do have my heart set on living in the US (ik it seems like a v niaeve thing to say) despite the obesity and social injustice. I'm also v aware that UK and US law are two very different subjects and aren't interchangeable.
Reply 9
" It is really that difficult to get into a law school?"

It depends which law school. Some are exceptionally difficult; some less so. There are many.

"I do have my heart set on living in the US [...] despite the obesity and social injustice..."

LOL, what?

Best bet is to do a UK degree and do a year abroad in America, that way you still pay UK fees but get a chance to study abroad (most universities offer it now as long as you're on track for a 2:1)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending