The Student Room Group

im struggling with chemistry. Will chemistry at A-level be hard?

I want to study physiology in university and the entry requirements are A levels in biology and chemistry. Im in year 10 and just had my first end of unit test for c1 chemistry and got a B. I really hate chemistry because of my teacher but also because I struggle with remembering the symbols for elements, ionic charges and formulas and equations. I am predicted an A for chemistry. It sounds like im dumb but im not in Biology I got A* in B1, A in B2 & A* in B3 and im predicted A*. I sometimes struggle with maths but I am predicted an A and I know 100% if I try hard I can get an A. But I am worried about chemistry if im struggling and not enjoying chemistry now how will it be at A level?

-Do you think I'll be able to manage Chemistry at A level (to get an A)

- Any tips on helping me with chemistry at GCSE level?

Thanks
chemistry is a VERY hard A level, I got A*AA and am struggling atm but with GCSE don't worry keep revising and you can do it don't be disheartened by the B- and fyi im not discouraging you fom Chem A level so don't think you aren't able to do it good luck
Reply 2
I found it really REALLY difficult. Worked my socks off and got an A, even though my AS teachers didn't think I could do it. I learnt absolutely everything possible and did every single past paper that was relevant many, many times.

It's only a few months and it can be hellish but once it's done and you've got the grade you done it! Prepare well for the assessed practical and take your coursework seriously - that can save your skin if one module is a bit of a mare.
Reply 3
Original post by pandalovefood
I want to study physiology in university and the entry requirements are A levels in biology and chemistry. Im in year 10 and just had my first end of unit test for c1 chemistry and got a B. I really hate chemistry because of my teacher but also because I struggle with remembering the symbols for elements, ionic charges and formulas and equations. I am predicted an A for chemistry. It sounds like im dumb but im not in Biology I got A* in B1, A in B2 & A* in B3 and im predicted A*. I sometimes struggle with maths but I am predicted an A and I know 100% if I try hard I can get an A. But I am worried about chemistry if im struggling and not enjoying chemistry now how will it be at A level?

-Do you think I'll be able to manage Chemistry at A level (to get an A)

- Any tips on helping me with chemistry at GCSE level?

Thanks

I found chemistry to be quite conceptual at A level - in the sense that's it's more about learning, understanding and applying concepts that about pure memorising (which is largely what GCSE exams are). Also I think most exam boards give you a periodic table in the chemistry exam.

I think if you want it enough to work hard for it, an A at chemistry A level isn't unachievable. I know someone who got a C in AS and still managed to pull it up to an A at A2 even though the AS --> A2 gap is also quite big.

In terms of GCSE...I don't actually remember it well enough to give much advice. I just remember getting the revision guide, literally memorising everything, and doing all the past papers. (Probably sounds incredibly dull, but it works).
Reply 4
Hi,
I'm a current year 13 and I'm hoping to do biomedical science which also requires chemistry at an A at A level. At GCSE in c1 I got a B just like you (I resat and got an A) and I ended up with an A overall for GCSE. Then came AS levels and the jump is HUGE. It's hugely difficult and possibly one of the hardest a levels - that doesn't make it impossible. I didn't do enough work last year and I only just scraped a C. I've been predicted a B grade but I really want an A so I've been working like crazy and in all the tests so far I've had
As... It goes to prove that hard work will get you through it. Chemistry is hard and it will probably make you tear your hair out because I've been there! But if you're motivated enough to do
the degree you want, don't give in!! It's hard but it can be done. :smile:
I got a B at GCSE, so I probably shouldn't have taken it. Biggest regret was taking Chem, but I have friends who actually enjoy it. But basically, if you can't cope at GCSE I strongly advise against it. I learnt the hard way

Posted from TSR Mobile
I struggled with chemistry when I was in year 10 and 11. But once you take the time out to properly learn all the concepts it's not all that bad. Just do as many past papers as possible and it'll be alright, also don't give up

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest