The Student Room Group

The Proof is 'not-so' Trivial - Physics Edition

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Reply 181
Question 27 Difficulty: *

Three infinite mirror planes are joined at right angles to form a "corner reflector".
Show that any ray of light entering the corner reflector leaves parallel to it's initial path.
Question 28:

On a similar theme to the above, but the way I did it the maths gets a bit parky, so (**)

A mirror is designed such that any rays of light that enter it parallel to its axis of symmetry are reflected towards a single focus. Show that the mirror intersects any plane containing the axis of symmetry in a parabola.

(NB. This is most definitely not the same as showing the converse...)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Krollo
Question 28:

On a similar theme to the above, but the way I did it the maths gets a bit parky, so (**)

A mirror is designed such that any rays of light that enter it parallel to its axis of symmetry are reflected towards a single focus. Show that the mirror intersects any plane containing the axis of symmetry in a parabola.

(NB. This is most definitely not the same as showing the converse...)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cambridge cannot complain about you using their question, I seem to remember they used it twice themselves...
Original post by 16Characters....
Cambridge cannot complain about you using their question, I seem to remember they used it twice themselves...

You can't steal the concept of a maths question. Maths wants to be free :ahee:

Gonna set up a maths pirate bay with illegally scanned papers

/s

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 185
Original post by Krollo
You can't steal the concept of a maths question. Maths wants to be free :ahee:

Gonna set up a maths pirate bay with illegally scanned papers

/s

Posted from TSR Mobile

Huh, funny- I was going to answer this using Fermat's principle of least time which is definitely a physics principle. Not maths. Of course, there's a load of maths in the background...
Aha, this didnt show up in my notifications because of the missing hyphen, sorry xD

Original post by lerjj
This one is trivial, but it's a nice question:

Question 26 Difficulty: *

Hubble's law states that the observed velocity of a galaxy at position vector r \vec{r} is given by:

v=H0r \vec{v} = H_0 \vec{r}

Show that this does not imply we are at the centre of an expanding universe, because every observer gets the same result even if they are not at the centre.

Obviously, the velocity of an object is relative. For any observer, their velocity is 0 and the objects around them have recessional velocity. This gives the hubble constant.
If the observer moved to a different galaxy, then their velocity would again be 0 in their frame, and the galaxies would again have recessional velocity. Still gives the same constant.
Easier to solve using logic really, but vectors work too i suppose :smile:
Fairly simple problem for question 29 requiring only physial intuition and maybe GCSE maths if that:

Consider a sea

the inflow and outflow are qinq_{in} and qoutq_{out}. The salinity of the outflowing water is SoutS_{out} and the water flowing in has salinity SinS_{in} if water from the sea evaporates at a rate EE and the sea has volume VV find the time taken for all the water in the sea to be recycled with new water.
Problem 29**
Imagine a cylindrical barrel full of water, height HH. Cutting a small hole in the side of the barrel causes water to emerge from the hole. Prove that the emerging water travels furthest away from the barrel when the hole is cut half way between the floor and the top of the barrel.
Reply 189
Original post by Llamas123
Problem 29**
Imagine a cylindrical barrel full of water, height HH. Cutting a small hole in the side of the barrel causes water to emerge from the hole. Prove that the emerging water travels furthest away from the barrel when the hole is cut half way between the floor and the top of the barrel.

I'm guessing we have to use the fact that the water leaves the hole with more force if the hole is lower down. But the higher the hole, the more time it has to fall, so has more time to travel away from the barrel. ???

So we have to equate water pressure and suvat with respect to H ???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Initially considering the problem using forces makes it much more difficult. You have to use a different technique for the first step.
Original post by Arieisit
Problem 22 **

Wheel.jpg

A wheel consists of a uniform disk of radius RR, with a circle of radius R/2R/2 removed as shown. Show the position of the centre of mass is given by yˉ=R/6\bar{y} =R/6 and the mass moment of the wheel about the centre of mass is 3772mR2\frac{37}{72}mR^2

The wheel is released from rest in the position shown. If no slipping occurs between the disk and horizontal, determine the expression for the angular velocity reached by the disk when its kinetic energy is a maximum. Also determine the reaction force between the disc and horizontal surface at that instant.

Disc has com (0, 0), Cut-out has com (0, - R/2), Wheel has com (0, y) for y > 0

Area D = πR^2 => Mass D = pπR^2, Area C = πR^2/4 => Mass C = pπR^2/4. So Mass W = (3/4)pπR^2

Take moments about (0, - R):
(3/4)pπR^2(y + R) = pπR^2(R) - pπ(R^2/4)(R/2)
=> (3/4)(y + R) = R - R/8 = 7R/8 => y + R = 7R/6
=> y = R/6 m

Mass W = m => Mass D = 4m/3, Mass C = m/3
About their centres: I_d = (4m/3)(R^2)/2, I_c = 0.5(m/3)(R/2)^2 = (m/3)(R^2)/8

// axis theorem to find I_d, I_c about wheel's com:
I_d = (4m/3)[R^2/2 + (R/6)^2] = (4m/3)(19/36)R^2
I_c = (m/3)[R^2/8 + (2R/3)^2] = (m/3)(1/8 + 4/9)R^2 = (m/3)(41/72)R^2

So I_w = I_d - I_c = (m/3)(76/36 - 41/72)R^2
=> I_w = (m/3)(111/72)R^2
=> I_w = (37/72)mR^2 kgm^2

For KE max and no slip, all GPE max converts to KE (rot) & KE (linear). Rot dist = linear dist => v (linear) = v (rot) => v (linear) = wR.

So mg(Δh max) = (1/2)m(wR)^2 + (1/2)(I_w)w^2
=> 2mgR = (1/2)w^2[mR^2 + (37/72)mR^2]
=> 2g = (1/2)(109/72)Rw^2
=> w^2 = g(4*36*2)/(109R)
=> w = 12Sqrt[2g/(109R)] rad/s

Upward N at wheel's contact w/ ground, downward mg at wheel's com. Net centrip F at contact aligns to wheel's com, at @ to vert.

@ forms RA triangle: opp = y = R/6, adj = R, hyp = R.Sqrt[1 + (1/6)^2] = R.Sqrt(37/36) = (R/6)Sqrt37
So cos@ = R/[(R/6)Sqrt37] = 6/Sqrt37

Resolve forces to action line of centrip F:
Ncos@ - mgcos@ = mRw^2 = mRg(4*36*2)/(109R)
=> (6/Sqrt37)(N - mg) = mg(288/109)
=> N - mg = mg(48/109)Sqrt37
= > N = mg[1 + (48/109)Sqrt37] N
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Llamas123
Problem 29 **

H = barrel height, h = top-to-hole distance

For max velocity/distance from barrel, model mass m of water doing work on m at the hole; mathematically equivalent to m moving through h, transferring its KE, equal to its GPE decrease.

GPE -> KE: mgh = 0.5mv^2 => 2gh = v^2
=> v = Sqrt(2gh)

Projectile: x = Sqrt(2gh)t, y = (H - h) - 0.5gt^2
At y = 0: 0.5gt^2 = H - h => t^2 = 2(H - h)/g
=> t = Sqrt[2(H - h)/g]

So x = Sqrt(2gh).Sqrt[2(H - h)/g] = 2Sqrt[h(H - h)]

Differentiate x wrt h (or complete square): dx/dh = 2[Sqrt(H - h)0.5h^(-1/2) - Sqrt(h)0.5(H - h)^(-1/2)]

For max x: 0 = Sqrt[(H - h)/h] - Sqrt[h/(H - h)]
=> h/(H - h) = (H - h)/h
=> h^2 = (H - h)^2 = H^2 - 2hH + h^2
=> 0 = H(H - 2h)

H > h > 0 => only solution from H - 2h = 0
=> h = H/2
(edited 4 years ago)
Nice solution Enemy. You could have also completed the square inside the square root, line 8, to prove h=H/2 is the solution without requiring the use of calculus.

Also you do not need to write water molecules fall from the top for max horizontal velocity. You can consider the Potential energy loss and Kinetic energy gain as a small unit mass Δm\Delta m of water emerges from the barrel.
Using conservation of energy, KE=0.5mv^2 and PE=mgh

12Δmv2=ρAhgΔx \frac 1 2 \Delta m v^2 = \rho A h g \Delta x
Where ρ\rho is the density of water,
AA is the mean cross sectional area of the barrel above the hole,
and Δx\Delta x is the distance through which the centre of mass of the water above the hole is displaced.

This is because
ρAh \rho A h is the mass of water displaced a over a distance Δx\Delta x.

Luckily,
Δm=ρAΔx \Delta m = \rho A \Delta x as the volume/mass of water must be conserved.
Therefore they cancel and we get,
12v2=gh\frac 1 2 v^2=gh , which is the same result you got.

But you do not need to assume water molecules fall from the top.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Physics Enemy
But it helps (me) since these molecules are the best case (max gpe, ke, v, x) for any hole. Or are you saying those near the hole eject as far as those from the top? I don't think your reply suggests that.

Only water molecules right next to the hole are ejected. But we can treat it has water molecules from the top of the barrel falling a distance of h and being ejected, even though this is not actually happening.
Why can't molecules move from the top to the hole and be ejected? Also as water ejects, water level falls and the top layer gets ejected. And surely molecules are moving around everywhere?
(edited 6 years ago)
Why can't water molecules move from the top to near the hole and be ejected? Also as water ejects, the water level falls and the remaining top layer of water will have to be ejected. And surely water molecules are moving around everywhere?

Water molecules can move from the top to the hole but they are not in free fall so you cannot use a simple 0.5mv^2=mgh. The speed they are ejected depends on force on them due to the weight of water above them, and it just so happens, as shown above, that 0.5v^2=gh
Also the hole is "small" so the water level never actually falls. It remains the same height as only an infinitesimally small amount of water is being ejected from the hole.
You are correct that water molecules are moving around everywhere, and this is too complicated for me to describe mathematically. But the maths and physics we have used together is still correct as we have not used any false assumptions. Therefore we have proved h=H/2.
Thanks. But I don't think you need to be in free-fall to lose mgh, as long as you move through mgh (under presence of gravity)? Can one consider modelling a molecule at the top losing gpe / transferring ke to a molecule at the hole?
(edited 6 years ago)
Thanks. But I don't think you need to be in free-fall to lose mgh, as long as you move through mgh under the presence of gravity? I could have said 'pushed through' or 'moves through' rather than 'fell' to be clearer.

Also I guess one could consider modelling the problem as a molecule from the top losing gpe and transferring ke to a molecule near the hole?

I'll edit my post to replace/clarify 'fell'.

I do not think this is correct. It implies water molecules ejected from the hole could have a range of speeds depending on how high above the hole they "moved through". But I just tried to do the experiment with a milk bottle and clearly all water molecules are ejected with the same speed ie the square root of 2gh.

I think (but I am not certain) the problem with the model is that by looking at the molecular level, you cannot ignore the continual random motion of individual molecules. Molecules at the top of the barrel still have kinetic energy.

Therefore you have to consider not the change in energy of a molecule, but that of a unit mass of water ejected from the barrel and that of the water above the hole.
Thanks, yeah I prev thought there was a range, hence a max case. I do understand now mass m of water does work on m at the hole; mathematically equivalent to m moving through h, transferring its KE, equal to its GPE decrease. I've edited my solution :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest