The Student Room Group

What does a recruitment consultant do?

Forgive my lack of ignorance, but am I right when I say that they look for open positions that need to be filled, go to their database and coldcall the best candidates? And is it them that interview me or is it both them and their client?

Secondly, if I found a vacancy that I like online, wouldn't I be better off just sending my CV straight away? Or would it be a good idea to call the recruitment consultant about it? What good questions can I ask them? What do I talk about?

Lastly, can they coach me on interviews?

I would appreciate any help!
lie
Original post by owwwww2
Forgive my lack of ignorance, but am I right when I say that they look for open positions that need to be filled, go to their database and coldcall the best candidates? And is it them that interview me or is it both them and their client?

Secondly, if I found a vacancy that I like online, wouldn't I be better off just sending my CV straight away? Or would it be a good idea to call the recruitment consultant about it? What good questions can I ask them? What do I talk about?

Lastly, can they coach me on interviews?

I would appreciate any help!

I get approached by these people on a weekly basis, if not more often. You're pretty much spot-on that their whole objective is to generate leads for their clients. They'll almost always have a preliminary chat with you to make sure you know enough about the opportunity, and so they feel comfortable to recommend you for a position. After that, you'll interview with the client (sometimes they'll be conferenced in), and of course they get their cut for successful matches.

I would apply straight away if you've seen a vacancy online, there's not much to be gained by talking to them first unless you had some pressing queries about the job ad. Save your good questions for the client. But I always find it useful to get insights from the consultant about how many people the client is hiring, who's the client sponsor, what's the background for this vacancy coming about, and some general info on the real client needs (not always comes across in the ad). They might just be middle-men, but they can often be a trove of useful info.
Your lack of ignorance would mean you knew everything about his. What you meant to say was "forgive my ignorance".

Wording is important; it's probably more important when you're trying to convince someone to leave their job so you get your commission.
Reply 4
Original post by wanderlust.xx
Your lack of ignorance would mean you knew everything about his. What you meant to say was "forgive my ignorance".

Wording is important; it's probably more important when you're trying to convince someone to leave their job so you get your commission.

thank you. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending