The Student Room Group

How much does singing pay?

As a future uni student I am trying to find jobs that at least pay the minimum wage. So I have decided to use one of my talents; singing. Would anybody know how much gigs pay and if it is worth going for?

Also are there any producers for uni students in the following places:
- Northampton
- Liverpool
- Birmingham
Hey, sorry to see you haven't had any replies to your thread yet. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific university or course forum should help get more responses. :redface:

If you haven’t already found it, then university connect is a really useful way for finding people at your course/university! You can also find a list of applicant threads and courses here. :h: It's worth checking out if you have questions.

If you need advice on your academic work, then the Study Help section will be able to help you. :h: Hope this helps! :h:
How long is a piece of string? There's really no rule of thumb, though if you're in need of a reliable income, you're probably going to be better off working in Tesco.

You may also like to consider busking, which can be fairly lucrative if you're good and go for the right genre for your audience (opera in Bath at Christmas will go down well; less so in Bolton). Make sure you get the right permissions from the local council though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know a few people who gig in various places, mostly in bands although I know someone who does stand up comedy as well.

Gigging can eventually pay quite well. My friend who does stand up can get paid £50+ in a few places BUT he spent over two years building up his reputation, going to open mike nights, comedy clubs etc, and playing for free, building up contacts to get to this stage. He still does a lot of stuff for free as there aren't that many paying gigs that don't cost more to get to than he'll earn. He sees it as a hobby that occasionally pays.

He also says that if you get offered anything paid, you have to be super reliable, as if you miss something once, it's likely you'll never be offered anything again, and not to turn down anything you're offered either. This could be potentially hard to do around a uni schedule, especially when you have exams.

Music, imo, is harder, as there are more people going for less opportunities- as a lone singer, you're unlikely to fit in at a rock night, for example. It also takes a while to build up a reputation in an area, and this is harder to do if you're missing for 3 months every year due to uni holidays.

I agree, if you want to make money right from the start, you'd be better off trying busking, but this wouldn't necessarily pay minimum wage.

If you need reliable money, you're better off getting a "proper" job. If you just enjoy singing and performing, then it's something to pursue and you can eventually make some money. It will work best if a) you can bring a lot of friends along to a location to support you and b) if you are really proactive about networking and putting yourself out there at events like open mike nights.
Original post by Marie_King
As a future uni student I am trying to find jobs that at least pay the minimum wage. So I have decided to use one of my talents; singing. Would anybody know how much gigs pay and if it is worth going for?

- Northampton
- Liverpool
- Birmingham

prepare to learn whole new depth to poverty
Original post by Marie_King

- Northampton
- Liverpool
- Birmingham

I'd suggest youtube,local pub gigs to get started can't get into the best straight away.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by TheElvenQueen
I'd suggest youtube,local pub gigs to get started can't get into the best straight away.

Average pub gig pays somewhere between £140 to £180 but expect to have enough material for at least 2 hours also you will need your own PA

Quick Reply

Latest