The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 6GP03 June 2015 Topic B: Introducing Political Ideologies

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lizmoo0721
Is anyone else doing feminism? Do you know if we have to learn the different waves?

I have defiantly seen questions that reference the waves of feminism...
Original post by George brim
I have defiantly seen questions that reference the waves of feminism...

Ok, Thanks :smile:
Reply 642
We do have a thread for the unit 4 exam
In Unit 3 it seems as though I was not thinking straight and did the essay question I did not know so much about, for which I still cannot forgive myself. Anyone know how papers with question choice are marked? Ie are marks for specific questions weighted according to difficulty, which could be reflected by average performance?
Reply 644
Original post by philerus
In Unit 3 it seems as though I was not thinking straight and did the essay question I did not know so much about, for which I still cannot forgive myself. Anyone know how papers with question choice are marked? Ie are marks for specific questions weighted according to difficulty, which could be reflected by average performance?

Sorry to be blunt but nope.
Thanks for the reply and no wories. You know this for certain or is this just an educated assumption? Its just that when there is a choice of questions to the extent that people end up doing completely different papers, it would make sense if they weigh them slightly different, as they do with the final ums conversion.
Reply 646
Original post by philerus
Thanks for the reply and no wories. You know this for certain or is this just an educated assumption? Its just that when there is a choice of questions to the extent that people end up doing completely different papers, it would make sense if they weigh them slightly different, as they do with the final ums conversion.

It was an educated guess but I can't imagine them marking you up because what you 'thought' you did was a difficult question. Difficulty is relative. Secretly it could of been the easiest set of questions and you just found it hard.
(edited 8 years ago)
Unfortunately they really are all weighted the same, they work the UMS out from the paper as a whole regardless of which questions you did.
Oh no, that is not what I was saying at all. I was implying something along the lines of a roughly equal amount of people picking, say, question X and qustion Y. The average scores, however, would be something like 30/45 and 40/45, with the number of candidates opting for either option being large enough to discount the probability of it simply being a less able group who picked question X. Therefore, once we look at it this way it is easy to see that one question was indeed more difficult than another. When one paper is judged more difficult, we have grade boundaries and UMS conversions. Surely it would make sense to apply the same logic to questions.

Mind you, if I was in the minority who did badly in this question then this means that the boundaries for this question will still not be as low. Of course, that should ideally depend on the number of people who opted for a specific question.

So as you can see, my logic had nothing to do with subjective judgements and assessments of difficulty, but was based instead on objective speculation based potential performance, which is assessed with a numerical score.
That would make sense since the calculations would increase exponentially in complexity if they do it otherwise. However, I do wonder if they perform calculations that are not included in the Raw/UMS converter they have on the website.
Why would they? It seems a bit strange that they would do that and not tell anyone. My teacher is a marker for the this paper and I asked her the same question a few months ago, and she said the ability to choose the right question was part of the exam.
Yeah, that makes perfect sense, and is something I was thinking about myself earlier. Thanks for the response!

The only reason I thought they would do that would be for the same reason that they do not give us the Raw Mark as a final mark.
Does anyone have the examiners report from last year? (For further ideologies)
Bump does anybody have tips with regards to this exam?
probably no point now like, im studying
Unit 3
Liberalism
Conservatism
Anarchism
Unit 4
Feminism
ecologism
multiculturalism
Any revision resources you have and would share would a massive help!!!!
Thanks!
how many words approximately do we have to write for the 45 mark questions?
Original post by johnd45
how many words approximately do we have to write for the 45 mark questions?

I'm so scared about this exam
How's revision going by the way
Original post by xxvine
I'm so scared about this exam
How's revision going by the way

haven't even started
What were the nationalism and feminism Questions for June 2014 and 2015 for this paper? It's on the edexcel website . Thanksssss
Reply 659
What are the predicted questions for unit 3?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending