The Student Room Group

As chemistry issue

Right so I'm doing As chemistry ocr and I was wondering if the specification is a clear reflection on the exams is it there for guidelines and are exam questions based solely on the specification or are some questions outside the specification.
Reply 1
...Why would an exam board set questions on topics you haven't learnt?
Reply 2
Original post by suirrel
...Why would an exam board set questions on topics you haven't learnt?

Not really topics we haven't learnt but something a little outside the box that isn't clearly stated on the specification.
Sometimes they ask questions about a molecule you've never heard of before eg there was a question on epoxyethane a few years ago. If you revise properly and learn everything in the specification you should be able to answer the question. You're not meant to know about it but should be able to think outside the box and relate it to your current knowledge.
Reply 4
Original post by whatacrydonnie
Sometimes they ask questions about a molecule you've never heard of before eg there was a question on epoxyethane a few years ago. If you revise properly and learn everything in the specification you should be able to answer the question. You're not meant to know about it but should be able to think outside the box and relate it to your current knowledge.

Thanks that was helpful
Reply 5
Original post by needy2.0
Not really topics we haven't learnt but something a little outside the box that isn't clearly stated on the specification.

Like application of knowledge? Of course that's going to be on the exam, they want to make sure you actually know the theory, not just make you recite memorised phrases.
Reply 6
Original post by suirrel
Like application of knowledge? Of course that's going to be on the exam, they want to make sure you actually know the theory, not just make you recite memorised phrases.

Exactly that. I'm alright with that so long as it's not random

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending